IGNORED

the sound of a 160" saw blade unfolding in 60m grain silo

scott

Ha! I love it when people spend livetime filming things like that. I love people

haha. 

i would recommend it to anyone. 

Is the grain silo really 58m high?  How do you book time in a place like that?

Awesome sound!

yes, its enormous,  the reverb is roughly 30's long !  This project explored its acoustics pretty throughly last year- more  info here. 

http://www.resono.co.uk

the space is currently becoming a "hireable" performance space/gallery.  Im one of the trustees for the building and were going to be developing a programme where you will eventually be able to book time in there, currently you have to submit  proposals as there's there's issues like the access hatches for equipment and insurance that need to be sorted before people can come in unfortunately- some stuff just isn't viable. hopefully it will be more straight forward soon.  

There are a lot of proposals for this year so far but i can get you the info if its something you are interested in. 

thanks 

Scott.

• 2 months later...

just found this- its someones footage from an event some friends and i did a few months back- its in the same grain silo- all the reverb is 100% natural- 

the music is Sam Annand from his "Resono" project.

http://www.resono.co.uk

This is amazing.

Being a fabricator by trade, we do have some awesome sounds in our workshop (unfolding a saw blade is one of them).  We get some cool reverb in our shed, but not as cool as that.

I also like the sounds of TIG welding aluminium, shearing sheets of stainless steel, and also when our plasma cutter kinda malfunctions and doesnt burn through the material properly.

Had thought of doing a bunch of field recordings / found sounds one day, and using them in an industrial techno DJ mix.. just need to buy / hire a decent microphone.

Guest Chesney

Yeah definitely. I have a folder full of my workplace noises. Large Guiilotines, lazer cutters, plotters, copiers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing.

Being a fabricator by trade, we do have some awesome sounds in our workshop (unfolding a saw blade is one of them).  We get some cool reverb in our shed, but not as cool as that.

I also like the sounds of TIG welding aluminium, shearing sheets of stainless steel, and also when our plasma cutter kinda malfunctions and doesnt burn through the material properly.

Had thought of doing a bunch of field recordings / found sounds one day, and using them in an industrial techno DJ mix.. just need to buy / hire a decent microphone.

nice, must be a world of sounds there- if you don't have one i would invest in a decent contact mic, they are not expensive- its  great way to isolate the actual machine sounds. Ive always struggled to get decent recordings in industrial places otherwise. 

farmers actually made silos that way so they could trip the fuck out in them

it wouldn't take much, the verb starts to mess with your head pretty quickly, and its pitch black.  

This is amazing.

nice, must be a world of sounds there- if you don't have one i would invest in a decent contact mic, they are not expensive- its  great way to isolate the actual machine sounds. Ive always struggled to get decent recordings in industrial places otherwise. 

any recommendations for cheap and decent contact mics? ty

Archived