IGNORED

anybody know about raspberry pi specifically daisy-chaining them together

Ragnar

also you can run windows on them I think?

Jeskola Buzz allows for up to 12 cores and this might even be an arbitrary decision/amount. the newest raspberry pi is a quad-core and so if you chained 3 together you would make 12? (basic math lol) and then I already have a cheapo tablet I could use for a display (I think?) Basically I want to make modular mayhem and jeskola buzz is good at using multiple cpus (like i could devote one core to each instrument?)

edit: maybe it's not so easy, you can get windows 10 IoT Core or something which is stripped down/doesn't run normal programs? shit

still would be interesting. and i do make patches that crazy lel. I also usually synthesize the sounds in 'realtime' so I can have little fx going and changing textures etc slightly? I rarely sample my own sounds unless it's obviously sampled sounds like breaks

Audio performance would likely be quite poor.. high latency and such. Buzz is pretty lightweight, but the Win OS is pretty heavy and would further complicate performance on a Pi. Windows 10 IoT Core is very stripped down and would likely not work for the purpose.

Linux on the other hand has a lot of interesting tools for audio and music that probably would run on RPs. Using the JACK sound server it would be possible to route audio and midi across multiple devices. While JACK is robust and extremely flexible, it can often by very difficult to learn and setup.

Distributing loads across multiple CPUs on separate boards would be possible, but probably not in a way that's useful for audio software. MPI, for instance, is used to build clusters and supercomputers. You could probably make a pi cluster, but it would be more useful for audio/DSP rendering, not real time audio work. And even then a solid desktop machine would run circles around a small pi cluster. Wouldn't be much of a point to it..

a bit of internet research is showing that you can use WINE in linux to run buzz pretty nicely. might want to try it out on another linux machine before you invest in the pi though. 

also, as far as a tablet goes for display, you can probably set up a VNC server on the pi also and just use the tablet to "remote in" for display, but that could be very laggy depending on your wifi situation. 

lol maybe it's more trouble than it's worth yeah

but as far as buzz goes it's quite good with multiple cores/figuring out how to distribute the work across them?

and i was using buzz on linux for a while, old buzz anyway worked good

I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble.. considering Buzz isn't really very processor intensive, unless you're using many instances of complex VST instruments/effects.. I think you'd have trouble maxing out 4 cores let alone 12!

Also I want to know why no one is making these into customizable insane little audio/midi effects pedals. Also that idea is copyright 2017 via me so if you're can design them let me know if not piss off it was my idea first you can buy one at 700% markup soon.

There's tons of convoluted/weak/weird examples on youtube that I've seen of Pis being used as effects and synths and sequencers and pretty much anything. But none seem truly interesting as my mind thinks it should be...I mean, I look at the processing power of a Pi and wonder why can't you remake a Nord Micro Modular with it? Why can't it become a mass-produced box with some knobs and buttons, with a few stock 'programs' for it to run, all highly customizable? Why not daisy-chain a few together as in OPs request and become an insane sequencer/MIDI effects chain? It seems like it could be a really powerful basis for at least a niche, if there was a decent community attracted to it, with a 'standard' box (or two or three versions, whatever) wrapped around the actual Pi.

I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble.. considering Buzz isn't really very processor intensive, unless you're using many instances of complex VST instruments/effects.. I think you'd have trouble maxing out 4 cores let alone 12!

i make insane patches in Blok Modular within buzz

There's tons of convoluted/weak/weird examples on youtube that I've seen of Pis being used as effects and synths and sequencers and pretty much anything. But none seem truly interesting as my mind thinks it should be...I mean, I look at the processing power of a Pi and wonder why can't you remake a Nord Micro Modular with it? Why can't it become a mass-produced box with some knobs and buttons, with a few stock 'programs' for it to run, all highly customizable? Why not daisy-chain a few together as in OPs request and become an insane sequencer/MIDI effects chain? It seems like it could be a really powerful basis for at least a niche, if there was a decent community attracted to it, with a 'standard' box (or two or three versions, whatever) wrapped around the actual Pi.

I think the biggest hangup is, well, development itself.. Someone has to put in the work! Eventually, as Pi and pi-like boards become more popular I bet those things will come. There's not really any companies or teams out there developing software for them. Their popularity currently exists mostly in the DIY/maker/hacker communities.

Also I want to know why no one is making these into customizable insane little audio/midi effects pedals. Also that idea is copyright 2017 via me so if you're can design them let me know if not piss off it was my idea first you can buy one at 700% markup soon.

I've been thinking about your post today. Would you think it'd be possible to design sound effects with a raspberry running Pure Data which you could toggle with switches etc ? I was thinking about something along those lines, you could just add a knob to switch between various effects, and plug a synth in it.

Or one could design a built-in Raspberry synth with gyrometers to build some crazy futuristic theremin.

I don't know but it all got me excited.

I want to see someone make a text-only interface for PD. I guess there is SuperCollider too. I just don't like stuff that's tied to a specific GUI. 

I mean Max is bitchin' but it'd be 100x better if I could make patches without a clicky thingy.

I have to agree with my taki and rulesreader extraordinaire and I wrote two pi based sequencers, (one sample based (pygame), one DSP based (PYO). The thing I found in the end is I spent more time coding then I did making music. You can make any pi based music gizmo you like. The pi is a fantastic platform to work on. Its just going to take time.

There's some code and stuff here, if you want the DSP based stuff let me know and I'll upload it. http://pi.hardwiredonline.co.uk
~                                  

I think the biggest hangup is, well, development itself.. Someone has to put in the work! Eventually, as Pi and pi-like boards become more popular I bet those things will come. There's not really any companies or teams out there developing software for them. Their popularity currently exists mostly in the DIY/maker/hacker communities.

Perhaps with time, yeah. But I want the things now (and/or to get in on developing them so I can become rich because there's obviously tons of money to be made in tiny, weird, niche musical instruments. jk).

I've been thinking about your post today. Would you think it'd be possible to design sound effects with a raspberry running Pure Data which you could toggle with switches etc ? I was thinking about something along those lines, you could just add a knob to switch between various effects, and plug a synth in it.

Or one could design a built-in Raspberry synth with gyrometers to build some crazy futuristic theremin.

I don't know but it all got me excited.

I'm quite sure I saw at least a few audio effects Pi boxes running PD. That's exactly what I'm thinking, ultimately. But that's the thing...it could be anything you wanted it to be. For those with little programming knowledge, just load in some other stock/user made patches. For the more computer savvy types, the sky(RAM)'s the limit. See, the 'crazy' stuff with gyrometers and theremins and shit, that's what people are doing with it now, and they, nothing against them at all, like to tinker [more than/as much as] they do make music.

I'm thinking more of a standard enclosure, or perhaps a couple versions, that isn't full of weird shit, but more basic shit like you'd find on a cheap MIDI controller: just knobs, buttons, faders, pads things like that. But here's the thing, include audio in/out, MIDI in/out, standardized enclosure, and the star of the show is the Pi's computing capabilities. At that point it really does become a take on a Nord Micro Modular. What its used for is totally dependent upon what the user needs that day, or that moment, and is only constrained by what software and Pi's hardware limitations.

When you look at how popular things like Max and Pure Data are, how many user contributed patches and such are freely available and always being developed (hell Max software is a small but growing business in and of itself), the users are there to utilize the box in a million ways. What they need is something standard that anybody can buy for $199 that can be a tiny synth, a noise generator, a unique sequencer, a little drum machine, a dedicated sampler, an guitar effects box, a MIDI effects box, or whatever....if the standard is there and you can get even some amount of traction with a few interesting patches to start the ball rolling with, the draw for musicians who loves tinkering and coding and exploring is impossible to withstand. They'll be writing cool shit for it in no time.

If I had any skill at engineering or tinkering, I'd already be doing mock-ups of the hardware. If I had any skill at programming, I'd already have a Pi and would've written something for it. I've got zero skills and lots of ideas. So if anyone wants to do all the work and I'll be the ideas and testing guy so lets get going but also I'm fucking broke so we'll need investors. So we also need someone who can make a convincing Kickstarter video for us. 

I have to agree with my taki and rulesreader extraordinaire and I wrote two pi based sequencers, (one sample based (pygame), one DSP based (PYO). The thing I found in the end is I spent more time coding then I did making music. You can make any pi based music gizmo you like. The pi is a fantastic platform to work on. Its just going to take time.

There's some code and stuff here, if you want the DSP based stuff let me know and I'll upload it. http://pi.hardwiredonline.co.uk

~                                  

Those features alone look great! As much as you crammed in, I don't doubt that you spent a ton of time coding and building those devices. Very cool to see the whole process too, people like you who build and share are what make the internet a wonderful place. Honestly.

I sort of read your posts diagonally here, but it seems that what you're talking about is more or less there already. The OWL is available as pedal and an eurorack module. You can program it using Pd and Max or even C it seems. 249GBP for the pedal, 319GBP for the module.

I actually started from scratch knowing nothing, both in python programming and the hardware side. It was about 100 hours for the first project, 20 for the 2nd. I knew what I was doing the 2nd time round.

I just use Ableton with a lauchpad and a Akai midi mix now.

If you have the time, I'd certainly say go for it. Budget wise you could get started with a pi zero and a cheep usb sound card. A Pi zero shouldn't have any issues doing DSP. At least from my experience. The internet is full of how 2's for everything you need.  It should only cost you about £20 to start your project.

I sort of read your posts diagonally here, but it seems that what you're talking about is more or less there already. The OWL is available as pedal and an eurorack module. You can program it using Pd and Max or even C it seems. 249GBP for the pedal, 319GBP for the module.

Looks rad, but if I can do it by myself for roughty 20€ it'd also be nice !

Off-topic again but I also had some ideas to design buddha-machines clones with Raspeberry (that I still need to buy tho lol)

Archived