IGNORED

anybody know about raspberry pi specifically daisy-chaining them together

Ragnar

Buzz is x86/x64 architecture software and RPi is ARM architecture. Doesn't really help even if you run Windows 10 IoT Core. You would have to somehow emulate the CPU and then run Windows on top of that which would make it ridiculously slow.

Or am I missing something? Is there an ARM port of Buzz?

I sort of read your posts diagonally here, but it seems that what you're talking about is more or less there already. The OWL is available as pedal and an eurorack module. You can program it using Pd and Max or even C it seems. 249GBP for the pedal, 319GBP for the module.

Looks rad, but if I can do it by myself for roughty 20€ it'd also be nice !

Off-topic again but I also had some ideas to design buddha-machines clones with Raspeberry (that I still need to buy tho lol)

Yeah but as hardwired says, the material cost might end up at 20€, but if you end up spending 100-120 hours (that's roughly 2 months of full-time work), then the time spent starts to factor in pretty heavily as well. However, if you do go through with it, you end up with a lot of useful knowledge and skill. :)

I thought a lot about making something Live-like in a Raspberry Pi so I could have midi effects and looping without a full laptop (also no screen staring), but then I figured it would be way easier to just configure Live with your midi stuff so you can just place the laptop out of sight somewhere and control everything with your MIDI interfaces. Of course I have not succeeded with this clever plan, but it seems way more doable than writing and debugging code on the Pi. Now imagine I posted the image about samples, drum skins and goat farming.

That said, I think a Pd patch running on the Pi hooked up to some cheapo USB midi thing will totally fit in someone's laptopless set-up. Damn, now I want one.. :)

Buzz is x86/x64 architecture software and RPi is ARM architecture. Doesn't really help even if you run Windows 10 IoT Core. You would have to somehow emulate the CPU and then run Windows on top of that which would make it ridiculously slow.

Or am I missing something? Is there an ARM port of Buzz?

no I'm justdumb/lazy

also you can run windows on them I think?

Jeskola Buzz allows for up to 12 cores and this might even be an arbitrary decision/amount. the newest raspberry pi is a quad-core and so if you chained 3 together you would make 12? (basic math lol) and then I already have a cheapo tablet I could use for a display (I think?) Basically I want to make modular mayhem and jeskola buzz is good at using multiple cpus (like i could devote one core to each instrument?)

edit: maybe it's not so easy, you can get windows 10 IoT Core or something which is stripped down/doesn't run normal programs? shit

still would be interesting. and i do make patches that crazy lel. I also usually synthesize the sounds in 'realtime' so I can have little fx going and changing textures etc slightly? I rarely sample my own sounds unless it's obviously sampled sounds like breaks

You can't really daisy-chain CPUs together like that in general so that you end up with an effectively 12-core system. The reason for this is that the communication within a CPU between cores is so blazingly fast compared to the maximum network speed/latency between two Raspberry Pis. You could in theory write Buzz to "outsource" some stuff to other Pis, but that would be way way more difficult than just run three copies of Buzz on three Pis. And as someone here already mentioned, since Buzz is compiled for x86/x64 architecture and Pi has ARM architecture (this basically means Buzz is expecting a certain type of processor), it's not going to be easy getting this stuff to work efficiently. I checked and found no source code for Buzz, so if whoever maintains it can ever be arsed to port it to ARM, then it will work on the Pi.

Jeskola Buzz allows for up to 12 cores and this might even be an arbitrary decision/amount. the newest raspberry pi is a quad-core and so if you chained 3 together you would make 12? (basic math lol) and then I already have a cheapo tablet I could use for a display (I think?) Basically I want to make modular mayhem and jeskola buzz is good at using multiple cpus (like i could devote one core to each instrument?)

edit: maybe it's not so easy, you can get windows 10 IoT Core or something which is stripped down/doesn't run normal programs? shit

still would be interesting. and i do make patches that crazy lel. I also usually synthesize the sounds in 'realtime' so I can have little fx going and changing textures etc slightly? I rarely sample my own sounds unless it's obviously sampled sounds like breaks

You can't really daisy-chain CPUs together like that in general so that you end up with an effectively 12-core system. The reason for this is that the communication within a CPU between cores is so blazingly fast compared to the maximum network speed/latency between two Raspberry Pis. You could in theory write Buzz to "outsource" some stuff to other Pis, but that would be way way more difficult than just run three copies of Buzz on three Pis. And as someone here already mentioned, since Buzz is compiled for x86/x64 architecture and Pi has ARM architecture (this basically means Buzz is expecting a certain type of processor), it's not going to be easy getting this stuff to work efficiently. I checked and found no source code for Buzz, so if whoever maintains it can ever be arsed to port it to ARM, then it will work on the Pi.

k

if it's an ARM cpu does that mean i can emulate every game boy advance game at once

k

if it's an ARM cpu does that mean i can emulate every game boy advance game at once

Fuck if I know, probably not because it still depends on the operating system too. You can't run x86 Linux stuff without recompiling in Windows and vice versa. I think it's got something to do with a program requiring both CPU architecture compatibility (ARM/x86/x64) and OS compatibility (Mac/Linux/Windows). So game boy advance games expect an ARM cpu and also some syscalls from GBA OS.

That smallish RasPi touch display is really shit touch-wise. I have to deal with them on a weekly basis. Drives me mad every time.

Edit: At least it looks like the same display.

Archived