IGNORED

The NAMM 2017 thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitwig looks like it might be interesting one day. Their new pricing scheme sucks nuts, I hope they lose tons of business because of it so other DAWs don't get encouragement to do that subscription (sorta) bullshit.

MPC Live/X look like bloated beasts taking the first strides onto the land from the murky swamps, perhaps their descendants will be viable but they look pretty meh to me. Not in the market for such a thing anyway though.

Some company called Percussa teased something they likened to a Nord Modular...so I'm curious to see what that ends up being :)

Bitwig looks like it might be interesting one day. Their new pricing scheme sucks nuts, I hope they lose tons of business because of it so other DAWs don't get encouragement to do that subscription (sorta) bullshit.

You can just buy it from their website for a fixed price?   

You can just buy it from their website for a fixed price?   

Yeah, but updates are off limits after one year, unless you pay a yearly fee, or however they word it. So next year when Apple updates OS X, everyone who uses Bitwig could be forced to re-subscribe ($169/year if I'm not mistaken) if they want to upgrade their operating system and continue using their DAW that they've already payed for. 

MPC Live/X look like bloated beasts taking the first strides onto the land from the murky swamps, perhaps their descendants will be viable but they look pretty meh to me. Not in the market for such a thing anyway though.

This... please manufacturers... making hardware more like a DAW/tablet is not the answer.

eventide structural effects

Yes. Will be intrigued to know what's going to be possible between the splitting of the signal into the tonal and transient parts, and the recombining

Bitwig looks like it might be interesting one day. Their new pricing scheme sucks nuts

Double yes - Not sure what they were thinking especially at that price. Reckon there'll be a u-turn when they clock quite how negative the reaction is

Same here, always curious to see what Elektron are doing. Was thinking they'd just have another effects box for NAMM, but that shot looks like there may be a decent sized screen...So, maybe a multi-effects box? Or like you said, and OT2. That's what everyone on the forums elsewhere are hoping for. OT2 with Overbridge and a less convoluted workflow could be magic.

I'm really excited about the mpc live. I'm not sure what the hate is for. I've been looking for sampler/sequencer that can easily integrate with my computer setup. From what I've been reading, I should be able to drag/drop midi/audio right into the software while its in control mode and take it with me on the go. It also runs for ~5 hours without power which is awesome. I'm not planning on dropping ableton but having something thats fairly full featured sequencer with live performance options that can double as a very robust sketch pad is super exciting to me. 

I'm hoping for more OP-Z info.. since I sold my OP-1 last year I'm keen to get something else that I can just chuck in my bag without noticing the extra weight..

that's a good point, actually.. they also said there wouldn't be a mk3 of monomachine/machinedrum.. but then again they also said that they wouldn't be discontinued mere months before they were.. so who knows what this fkn thing is

Elektron will never release something that makes another product obsolete.

I'd say almost zero chance of OT2

true, but they did release mk2 versions of the monomachine & machinedrum. a similar upgrade for the octatrack doesn't seem out of the question to me.

at the very least they would want to make the OT overbridge compatible. this requires a hardware upgrade so while they are under the hood, why not improve some other things? i don't think the OT needs a radical redesign, just some improvements to what's already there.

Archived