IGNORED

Shobaleader One - 'Elektrac' new album - Listen to 'Journey to Reedham'

amad

I've listened to a few songs, won't form a full opinion yet. 

But initially I'm finding it hard to listen to a new "version" of tracks when I have such fond memories of the originals, the little differences between these new takes and the originals are jarring.

Maybe something I need to listen to several times before I can appreciate them for what they are.

That said, the band itself is obviously really talented, at least to my ears. Wonder if it would have been better for them to create new tracks rather than visit his classics.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how they just now put out a track when just yesterday I was looking to see if there was any new info... N̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶r̶d̶!̶

way better!

Well, the new Shobaleader track is ruined now.

Wow this is amazing! The VIBES!!!

I really was expecting worse from that album. Surprised myself feet-tapping and head-nodding much more than expected, especially during the most killer tracks - Don't Go Plastic, E8 Boogie...The ones where I can hear them having fun and taking some risks/liberties.

Some disappointments as well, most notably Iambic 5 Poetry which, without being awful, doesn't do any justice to the original version imo. Don't have that problem with other tracks as well because I'm taking it for what it is : a live album. What matters to me on such records is the energy I can feel coming from it, and I definitely feel a LOT of energy in this set :)

I've listened to a few songs, won't form a full opinion yet. 

But initially I'm finding it hard to listen to a new "version" of tracks when I have such fond memories of the originals, the little differences between these new takes and the originals are jarring.

Maybe something I need to listen to several times before I can appreciate them for what they are.

That said, the band itself is obviously really talented, at least to my ears. Wonder if it would have been better for them to create new tracks rather than visit his classics.

Listened more last night and was quite happy, really enjoyed most of the tracks. I particularly thought Squarepusher Theme and Coopers World were done quite nicely.

I wasn't so happy with Deep Fried Pizza, but then again that's one of my favorite SP tracks so it's hard to live up to my expectations there. 

Overall quite a nice release in my books, nice to have a little throwback to some of the classics. That drummer is f'en insane. 

Hot takes ahead but .... Based on the two tracks we've heard so far to me it seems like it'd be a bloody great thing to see/hear live (or if you have seen live previously as a momento) but personally on CD/Vinyl hearing it fresh it comes across more like 'Here's songs you have already but recorded in a way that don't sound as good as the originals'

I have yet to buy this record because of this. As big of a Squarepusher fan as I am and as much as I loved d'Demonstrator, I can't get excited for this one. I really wanted new music, and I don't quite understand the point of this album. He made a great original album using the Shobaleader name before. Why not make another original record now that you actually have a band?

Will purchase soon.

pretty boring yeah.

Joined the long ranks today of albums deleted after one listen to make more room on phone

calls this boring*

gives accolades to merzbow*

:cisfor:

musical tastes innit?

I will, I spose'.(the pond is frozen man, it's winter in Canadia-land!)

I get it, it's a rehash of old ideas so I can see how that'd be boring for some. I'm still appreciative of it though. There are things happening here...manual dexterity, a physicality to it etc etc...I think it's a pretty solid band (especially the drummer).

I'd prefer if they had made brand new tracks rather than doing these classics though.

way better!

No kidding, that was amazing!... That drummer is on-fucking-point. 

Guest bitroast

anyone have that youtube vid of the 3piece band (asian dudes i remember) close quarters, playing Squarepusher Theme ? 

kind of loved that. 

way better!

No kidding, that was amazing!... That drummer is on-fucking-point. 

it's ok, but nowhere near as good as the shobaleader. drummer is pretty weak in comparison really, not a fan of that tinny drum sound.

This album is actually giving me real deep feelings, taking me back to when I first heard some of these tracks for the first time. Really bittersweet feeling. Old squarepusher was so good I want to cry. Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to listen to feed me weird things or big loada or hard normal daddy again for the first time? Fuuuuuck

Archived