IGNORED

Shobaleader One - 'Elektrac' new album - Listen to 'Journey to Reedham'

amad

This album is actually giving me real deep feelings, taking me back to when I first heard some of these tracks for the first time. Really bittersweet feeling. Old squarepusher was so good I want to cry. Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to listen to feed me weird things or big loada or hard normal daddy again for the first time? Fuuuuuck

me too!!! so odd how that works!! a tribute band but with the actual creator in the group. i really really enjoyed this (probably because i had zero expectations and thought it would suck)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I actually am enjoying this. It's a quite literal performance of a selection of old squarepusher chestnuts. If every moment of the first few albums is stored in your long term memory, as i'm sure is true for most of us, then it's a charming tribute band doing the music justice. impressive technical facility all around. wow what a surprise given the last 10 years of sp..... and that cover....

well right - obviously this loses the je ne sais quoi of the programmed electronic versions, but i know a whole group of people (most people on earth) who idiotically can't access music unless they can visualize it being played on a guitar - they might be convinced by this. Not that I really care about being a sq evangelist.

I am vaguely interested in attending the live show this summer, might be fun but those masks are so fucking stupid. 

I feel the same way as Keanu. Was entertaining enough upon first listen but I really can't see myself listening to this a second time.

I was also semi-triggered by how they messed up the beginning of Don't Go Plastic

Yeah, I don't really know why I would listen to this again over the original versions. It's a bit like meow the jewels in that sense, but I'm looking forward to checking it out live.

I haven't listened to this as much as I expected, but I would watch the fuck out of a video version of the entire album. I'm not sure why Warp put an official video online for one track but not the whole thing.. was the entire gig not captured on video? That'd be a huge mistake..

The parallels between squarepusher and old jazz fusion feel even closer than before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnMJfHjAq8

yes! I've discussed this at length with bitroast. Squarepusher is a great gateway from IDM into jazz fusion. 

The similarities between that album and squarepusher's earlier work are uncanny, so, SO similar...? =/

Like 6m in sounds so similar to Music for Robots lol

phil collins is an insane drummer.

truth. Used to rock some Brand X way back in the day. nice to revisit with your post.

phil collins is an insane drummer.

truth. Used to rock some Brand X way back in the day. nice to revisit with your post.

Also, don't think anyone ever sampled the beat & key break from Born Ugly on that album. Still surprised by that.

The similarities between that album and squarepusher's earlier work are uncanny, so, SO similar...? =/

Like 6m in sounds so similar to Music for Robots lol

Here's another one you might find some similarities in. 

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know Brand X even existed but I know I'll be seeking out their releases, that's for sure. 

then move on to Magma followed by Dün

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know Brand X even existed but I know I'll be seeking out their releases, that's for sure. 

then move on to Magma followed by Dün

Any chance you'd link me to the correct discogs entry for those? There are several so not sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Exciting to know there is just so much damn good music out there I haven't personally discovered yet.

acquired taste...Eros will probably be more palatable. Magma is tiz-ight though. Hit up some Gong as well to round out the prog/fusion.

Brand X is sweet. Also kinda goes without saying, but Jaco Pastorious and Weather Report were obvious massive influences on his FMWR-era stuff, especially noticeable in some of the Jaco-composed pieces.

^Bass solo at 2:35 here makes The Swifty sound like a straight homage to Jaco.

Archived