IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

The Last Jedi clocks in at 150 minutes, making it the longest Star Wars film ever.

But I need to take a piss :(

Buy drink.

Drink drink.

Portable urinal. 

:emotawesomepm9:

I'm hoping the movie trailer is just trying to get asses in seats (of course it is) and the film actually is a bit darker and has some room to breath (unsubstantiated leaks say so, as does the little information director and actors have said without discussing plot points, plus, obviously, run time).

I'm curious where they're taking things in this one since Ep 7 was so obviously just sucking off the teats of the other films, but now the characters will likely have to do some growing/going in unexpected directions. Really interested to see where all of them end up in this, honestly. I guess I'm looking forward to it more than I expected? Won't be there first day anyway because fuck that shit but hopefully a day or two later before spoilers are EVERYwhere.

and the purpose of the movie is to convey a WW2 esque saving private ryan feel, not an epic adventure through space as most other star wars films are.

in that case it failed miserably

The Last Jedi clocks in at 150 minutes, making it the longest Star Wars film ever.

Buy drink.

Drink drink.

Portable urinal. 

I'm hoping the movie trailer is just trying to get asses in seats (of course it is) and the film actually is a bit darker and has some room to breath (unsubstantiated leaks say so, as does the little information director and actors have said without discussing plot points, plus, obviously, run time).

I'm curious where they're taking things in this one since Ep 7 was so obviously just sucking off the teats of the other films, but now the characters will likely have to do some growing/going in unexpected directions. Really interested to see where all of them end up in this, honestly. I guess I'm looking forward to it more than I expected? Won't be there first day anyway because fuck that shit but hopefully a day or two later before spoilers are EVERYwhere.

Another speeders vs. AT-ATs scene seems like more of the same shit, but Johnson keeps implying this one will be "weird".  maybe?

Buy drink.

Drink drink.

Portable urinal. 

Another speeders vs. AT-ATs scene seems like more of the same shit, but Johnson keeps implying this one will be "weird".  maybe?

I was wondering this too. A lot of people shit on Rogue One but I actually liked it for being side-plot. Felt like someone took a good EU novel and made it into a movie. 

Still irked by the vague state of the Empire in AFA - are they still dominant? Are they rebounding? Is the New Republic fledgling? I guess my brief foray into post-ROTJ EU comics and books is still throwing me off. The Death Planet and it's hilariously quick demise still seemed like such a colossal premature plot point for the new trilogy. Instead of some interesting new state of the Empire as a foe, or even some turned tables where the now victorious, once "Rebels" are now fighting an "Imperial Rebellion" we got Darth Vader 2.0 with shinier storm-troopers, and more grotesque Sith master, and paler, more British-y officers.

Nevermind - reading up on The First Order now. That said I was pretty lost coming into AFA and it seems kind of ridiculous I have to skim a wookipedia article to get a handle on post-ROTJ developments.

better be a death star in this.

lol

Edited by joshuatx

snow scenes, at-at like machines, big family twist reveal...Empire reboot. Ok, great. ‍♂

Not snow - silica/salt apparently. 

^

dense silica as well

Actually I'm not really bothered by this at all - I can only imagine how many planet / terrain proposals they go through before compromising on something. Too weird and abstract you curtail a lot of action scenes and sequences and "real" looking battles that a typical viewer will enjoy. Too grounded and relatable and it looks like the trilogy redone...which was a gripe with Rey's home, i.e. Tatoonie Mk. II. There's also the risk of too much CGI and making it all look like the Prequels again. Trailer settings look like fair compromises considering how many people and demands were being made behind the scenes.

trailer looks awesome! i honestly don't see what's wrong with it.

Same here TBH, I dunno, not in full blown fan apologist "shut up and take my money" mode but I can't really read all this criticism without smirking and rolling my eyes a bit. 

I didn’t see TFA in theaters, so idk what it was like right after it opened. I feel like opening weekend is the worst time to see an event movie, so I just wouldn’t go out of my way to cop tickets for it.

I usually hate crowded theaters but TFA opening weekend was a really cool experience. Everyone was genuinely excited and cheered/laughed/gasped at all the right moments without any side conversations. It really made it feel like a cultural event, which I know sounds like complete bullshit but is actually true.