IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

Just saw it at the cinema. The one thing it succeeded in doing, making The Phantom Menace now appear to be a great film. 

phantom menace production design is excellent and much more interesting and inventive than all three new star wars films combined

Edited by dr lopez

how is any Star Wars movie not fan wank at this point

Granted, there are some serviceable moments, but Lucas was really bad about it during the prequels. TFA didn't have any moments that I can recall that stood out, but The Last Jedi has a really egregious one:

Yoda - no fucking point to him showing up other than fanwank. Where the fuck was Yoda when Luke was (mis)training Ben Solo and being influenced by Snoke?

i hated that scene my first viewing but the 2nd time i actually grew rather fond of it

bc he’s still a cheeky bitch “there’s nothing in there she does not already possess” CUT TO END OF MOVIE the books are literally on the millennium falcon. yoda, ultimate troll

Ah, I didn't think of that line like that - great interpretation (if that was not their intent) on your part! And yeah, he's the king of trolls in Star Wars only next to Vader and Obi Wan.

watched it again but this time not browning in and out after drinking too much shitty wine. i didn't hate it but i have the flu right now.

the bb-8 shit is a lot like the r2 garbage from ep2 and 3. really really poor.

This must be what it feels like to become senile but I can't remember bb-8 in the film at all.

Just saw it at the cinema. The one thing it succeeded in doing, making The Phantom Menace now appear to be a great film. 

phantom menace production design is excellent and much more interesting and inventive than all three new star wars films combined

It's crazy how much more I appreciate TPM these days.  

The prequels were better than this trilogy at least in terms of production design and story. Execution sucked but I’d rather watch any of them over this trash.

Wait - and STORY? Disputes with the Trade Federation? Are you fucking kidding me? Hell, even The Last Jedi flirted with that pseudo-political intrigue garbage with the weapons profiteers side story, and wasn't needed to be said at all.

it was her extremely socal accent.

I thought domhnall gleason was the best actor in this movie. He has basically a nothing character but he’s still funny and entertaining when he isn’t being forced to do poor shtick from the script.

Edited by dr lopez

I thought domnhall gleason was the best actor in this movie. He has basically a nothing character but he’s still funny and entertaining when he isn’t being forced to do poor shtick from the script.

I preferred the Dreadnaught Captain/Admiral/Whatever in terms of "Empire/New Order lackey"

I thought domnhall gleason was the best actor in this movie. He has basically a nothing character but he’s still funny and entertaining when he isn’t being forced to do poor shtick from the script.

i like domnhall gleason as an actor but I absolutely hated him in this movie.

adam driver tho, probably the best. 

Gleason is so hilariously over the top, like a parody of every Imperial Officer from the original trilogy. I wonder if Kylo will eventually kill him in an emo fit of rage.

And yes, Doug Chiang's production designs are sorely missed in this trilogy.

Gleason is so hilariously over the top, like a parody of every Imperial Officer from the original trilogy. I wonder if Kylo will eventually kill him in an emo fit of rage.

yeah you’re right, it feels as though he’s playing a caricature of an archetype of a parody. i literally wince at half the faces he makes.

surprised kylo didn’t kill him in the throne room tbh.

yeah you’re right, it feels as though he’s playing a caricature of an archetype of a parody. i literally wince at half the faces he makes.

surprised kylo didn’t kill him in the throne room tbh.

He needed someone to make him feel superior now that Snoke is gone.

I made it all the way through thinking Snoke was being played by the old, bald ex-military guy from Breaking Bad. So, that was a point in the movie's favor, I guess.

Also, I am baffled that Benicio Del Toro as paper-thin-stock-middlegrade-literature-thief-archetype was, in retrospect, totally fine by me. (Cannot agree with you guys about the ginger Nazi commander guy, though; he & his character are awful. Sure, he's the new Moff Tarkin—except, you know, not threatening, not driven by evil ideology or even sadistic cruelty, & totally incompetent at every turn. Almost as inexcusable as goofy, cartoon ghost-Yoda.)

Edited by doorjamb

*ahem* THATS THE FUCKING POINT YOU IDIOTS

if that is the point that only makes me hate him more, i thought it was just inept writing and acting. but sure, let’s just make this character intentionally 1-dimensional and moronic, that totally makes it okay!!!