IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

thought the laugh at the end actually sounded more like the Joker than the the Emperor. 

checked the imdb listing and .... yep!!

zy8cTDT.png

Mark Hamill is listed because he does the voiceover narration... Ian McDirmand (aka the Emperor from ROTJ) did the laugh.

EDIT: Also, can someone explain to me why some youtube videos embed and others just show the link?

You just need to format the link you posted

it is actually the other way around, at least for me, with chrome, every time i copy paste a link from youtube i need to use the unlink button above, or, paste the link as text...

• when copying the link it will show up purple colored:
  • next i select it and use the unlink button:
  • purple color is gone and the link is simply text, same as if i'd paste it as text but i dunno if other browsers have that option:

post-155-0-24825200-1555359881_thumb.jpgpost-155-0-02576000-1555359886_thumb.jpgpost-155-0-16015800-1555359896_thumb.jpg

post-155-0-24825200-1555359881.jpgpost-155-0-02576000-1555359886.jpgpost-155-0-16015800-1555359896.jpg Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Aha! Unlink the mofo. Thanks a bunch! Was struggling with that nonsense for a bit. Someone tricked me into believing deleting the s from the https would help... it didnt.

As far as the modern blockbuster goes, TFA & TLJ were actually worth buying a ticket for, so I'll probably turn up for this. Not day 1 or anything, but maybe day 30.

I admit to kind of loving Force Awakens. It has that special something which A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back had. Coming from someone who had never raved about a JJ Abrams film, I was surprised by how much I took to it. I guess I like SW best before it goes all trilogy angst on us.

For those on the hype train only. This is what happened at the Star Wars Conference after the trailer was shown for the first time (skip to 2:30):

There are better quality videos of this, but something about seeing in the context of people going effin' bonkers apeshit at the Conference makes me enjoy it more.  

argh- that was disgusting to watch.

also the title seems less inspired than the original trilogy.

The bootleg recording of the clip that played in Star Wars celebration of the live-action series The Mandalorian made it seems like it could be a fun series. They should have released the sizzle reel for it online, but instead they thought it would be great for poorly filmed bootleg to be the audience first look at the first live-action Star Wars series ever. 

guy's probably getting more enjoyment out of life than me if he's crying at a star wars trailer. 

i ain't got time for that shit.

way too cynical. 

i'm sorry the trailer looks bad. 

As far as the modern blockbuster goes, TFA & TLJ were actually worth buying a ticket for, so I'll probably turn up for this. Not day 1 or anything, but maybe day 30.

I admit to kind of loving Force Awakens. It has that special something which A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back had. Coming from someone who had never raved about a JJ Abrams film, I was surprised by how much I took to it. I guess I like SW best before it goes all trilogy angst on us.

These reviews of TFA and TLJ at kit-bashed are the most earnest and no-frills I've read. I relate to them because I was able to enjoy these greatly while having a fair number of gripes. 

I saw TFA in theaters, a rare treat for my wife and I now that we have kids. In fact that might have been the last film I went to. I watched TLJ in two sessions on Netflix. I enjoyed Rogue 1 and even the more imperfect Solo on the surface level more than the TFA and TLJ. I dug the gritty pulp fiction-y aspect of these a lot. Clear contained plots over a vague muddled mess of the new trilogy.

I enjoyed the RLM recaps almost as much as the films themselves. I'm glad the insane neckbeard vitriol, which let's be frank, stems from their reckoning that they can't live vicariously through female and minority cast members, has been called out in various op-eds. Just about every anti-SJW conspiracy claim can be debunked: Captain Phasma was no more a toy plug than Boba Fett in ESB. Luke was as much a Mary Sue in pre-reveal ANH as Rey. Rose Tico actually resembles a real female miltiary enlistee. I only wish there were more high profile critics read to point out that the TLJ was a confused, directionless, mess that has boxed the overall plot into a very limited outcome - safe AF or weird as shit and the latter will not win out. We're not going to get a X-Wing assault that cuts to a black screen as Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" plays. The Rise of Skywalker isn't going to end with Rey screaming like Laura Palmer on some bizarre nightmare planet after Kylo destroys the universe ins some apocalyptic Sith meltdown. 

I read one encouraging thing on some unnoticed reddit comment: "Rian Johnson decided to start over in mid-trilogy, and now we'll see JJ Abrams be forced to open his own mystery boxes for the first time in his career."

We might not get a mediocre feel-good Lost-esque ending after all. I'm skeptical but this could end in an interesting way.

guy's probably getting more enjoyment out of life than me if he's crying at a star wars trailer. 

i ain't got time for that shit.

way too cynical. 

i'm sorry the trailer looks bad. 

Quintessential "to each their own" / "i get it but i don't get it" example

I'll chuckle at harmless fanatics and zealot fans like anyone else but I cannot muster the level of cynicism some people like to espouse.

Sure I got a chill seeing Lando and I'm the point where I am genuinely attached to Rey and Finn. I am no way as excited as I was for TFA. I'll never get the same thrill of watching much of the post-Disney media as I will watching A New Hope for the 420th time. I literally dosed off watching it a few weekends ago with my kids. The non-cynical enjoyment I had with the prequels will never be replicated either. And that's ok. It's kind of liberating to enjoy a film without such heavy emotional and mental investment. That and the internet has made it so much easier to dive into the very niche EU stuff I like and find recs for other sci-fi / space opera stuff of that era.

I like what they were going for in the trailer. Anyone notice that there's a new trend in trailers that show you bits of the movie but doesn't tell you anything about the plot?

also that every SW film involves panting heavi

that's the kind of excitement of someone who's close to a nervous breakdown...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

that's the kind of excitement of someone who's trying to make money on youtube

• 3 weeks later...

if they insist on making star wars movies. (and it seems that they are insisting on making star wars movies..), taking a bit of time between films seems at least like the right way to do it.. 

all the new star wars films have felt a bit rushed and sloppy scripts imo...

Edited by bitchroast
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Fan made, but holy crap is it done well for the most part:

^ beat me to it. ILM needs to hire these people ASAP. Shit is BADASS...

Edited by T3551ER

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

^ beat me to it. ILM needs to hire these people ASAP. Shit is BADASS...

It's well done for a fan-made video - some of the camera angles and tracking aren't up to snuff, and some later scenes near the end look a bit rough in comparison to the earlier scenes. Still, an amazing effort.

With only one new trilogy a few years away, I wonder if Disney is going to put their Star Wars effort in their streaming service and let Marvel do the cinemas.

38 minutes ago, azatoth said:

With only one new trilogy a few years away, I wonder if Disney is going to put their Star Wars effort in their streaming service and let Marvel do the cinemas.

Correction - two new trilogies - the Game of Thrones guys are working on one as well (although I don't remember if it is for Disney+ streaming or for the cinema), and I wonder if they still want Rian Johnson to do the new trilogy after the mixed, divisive reaction The Last Jedi got...

Less Star Wars is good, IMO. Their quality has been declining. Hope the last one will stick the landing to close that chapter of the saga and then no movie Star Wars for awhile. The Mandalorian does look dope, though

On 5/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, Joyrex said:

Correction - two new trilogies - the Game of Thrones guys are working on one as well (although I don't remember if it is for Disney+ streaming or for the cinema), and I wonder if they still want Rian Johnson to do the new trilogy after the mixed, divisive reaction The Last Jedi got...

Maybe not, (hopefully not), given the news that the new SW trilogy will be started by the GoT showrunners.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623128/star-wars-movie-2022-game-of-thrones-benioff-weiss-bob-iger-rian-johnson-disney