IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

On 5/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, azatoth said:

Less Star Wars is good, IMO. Their quality has been declining. Hope the last one will stick the landing to close that chapter of the saga and then no movie Star Wars for awhile. The Mandalorian does look dope, though

It will be very interesting if Star Wars translates well to TV or not:

2 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

prequels should have been a tv series. im sure everyone has already said that

Y'know, I never thought about that, but really, they would work far better as a TV series than movies...

That fan made video was really good. It's more visceral than the fight's we've gotten in the current trilogy, which is what I'm looking for. It captures the intensity of that last vader scene in that one recent movie.

Love those lightsaber hitting the wall bits. Reminds me of that old Star Wars game... Jedi Knight 2.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, azatoth said:

Less Star Wars is good, IMO. Their quality has been declining. Hope the last one will stick the landing to close that chapter of the saga and then no movie Star Wars for awhile. The Mandalorian does look dope, though

The only reason so much Star Wars is bad is because of the mixed quality. Maybe they should bring some people over from the MCU to make some solid popcorn flicks.

I hope they do Knights of the Old Republic. It honestly would make the best new star wars trilogy and would immediately re-invest me as a fan.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Well, look at how well-received horse-like creatures were in the last movie :cisfor:

i had to really hunt in my memory to get what you're referencing, that's how thoroughly i've tried to block out that trashfire of a movie

On 5/25/2019 at 8:44 AM, auxien said:

i had to really hunt in my memory to get what you're referencing, that's how thoroughly i've tried to block out that trashfire of a movie

The Kanto Bight section was really the only awful part of the movie; the rest of it for the most part was varying levels of goodness.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, bitchroast said:

fuck these movies.

10 hours ago, bitchroast said:

Not a fan I take it?

16 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Not a fan I take it?

is anyone a fan of the new movies? take the originals out of the equation.. and looking at Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - Rogue One - Solo. they've been entertaining .. but also entirely forgettable right ? 

Edited by bitchroast

watched phantom menace on the plane yesterday. love it. extremely racist, even in the first 10 minutes. in the first act, the wise, measured white guy (qui-gon) publically insults a clumsy, skittish jive-talkin jamaican (jar jar), nervous and ill-prepared asians (nute gunray) and then a fat, bald, sleazy business man obsessed with money who has a huge nose (((watto)))

shit is wild. times really have changed.

4 hours ago, bitchroast said:

is anyone a fan of the new movies? take the originals out of the equation.. and looking at Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - Rogue One - Solo. they've been entertaining .. but also entirely forgettable right ? 

I don't think you can separate the new movies from the older ones since they are so heavily reliant on the previous films' mythology, characters, etc.

I tend to look at Star Wars as a whole, rather than separate movies. If there was any separation, then perhaps between each trilogy. Even Rogue One and Solo fit in with the original trilogy Solo --> Rogue One --> A New Hope.

41 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

watched phantom menace on the plane yesterday. love it. extremely racist, even in the first 10 minutes. in the first act, the wise, measured white guy (qui-gon) publically insults a clumsy, skittish jive-talkin jamaican (jar jar), nervous and ill-prepared asians (nute gunray) and then a fat, bald, sleazy business man obsessed with money who has a huge nose (((watto)))

shit is wild. times really have changed.

it's wild to think there was a 3 year gap between Episode 1 and 2. Episode 1 being pre-2001 9/11.. Episode 2 opening with a terrorist attack bombing attempt on the queen. 

i *still* don't understand the plot of the phantom menace or the prequels.. like, who are the nute gunray aliens and what is their motivation. why did they work with the sith and what did they benefit from that? what was the trade federation "trade"? all the politics in episode 1 honestly still goes WAY over my head ... which the rest of the prequels kind of rely on when Palpatine's rise to power is a big plot point of the 3 films ... ???? i just honestly don't understand any of what's going on when it's not lightsabers and qui gon jinn talking about jedis and gambling. 

5 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

it's wild to think there was a 3 year gap between Episode 1 and 2. Episode 1 being pre-2001 9/11.. Episode 2 opening with a terrorist attack bombing attempt on the queen. 

i *still* don't understand the plot of the phantom menace or the prequels.. like, who are the nute gunray aliens and what is their motivation. why did they work with the sith and what did they benefit from that? what was the trade federation "trade"? all the politics in episode 1 honestly still goes WAY over my head ... which the rest of the prequels kind of rely on when Palpatine's rise to power is a big plot point of the 3 films ... ???? i just honestly don't understand any of what's going on when it's not lightsabers and qui gon jinn talking about jedis and gambling. 

I'll give it a go:

Sheev Palpatine (yes, he actually has a name) manipulated the Trade Federation to create a blockade around his homeworld of Naboo to spark a conflict that would elevate him to senator. Once made a senator, he began plans of using the Trade Federation standoff to justify creation of a clone army to protect the Republic. He had the head of the senate assassinated so he could become chancellor, and once in power, could declare marshall law and form the galactic empire. Eventually he would dissolve the senate, and declare himself galactic emperor.

The trade federation aliens (Nute Gunray and others) were just pawns in his bid to create a false conflict with their droid armies to justify his war powers and take control. HIs efforts to discredit the Jedi Council and bring the Sith to power over the galaxy were also part of this, and his order to assassinate the Jedi removed the last roadblock to him becoming emperor and take control of the galaxy.

I don't think the overall ideas of the prequel trilogy were bad per se, but I do think Lucas should have let someone else direct and co-write. I think he was too enamoured over all the then-new digital technology in film making that made him feel he had to decide and do everything instead of delegating to others with better writing skills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

I'll give it a go:

Sheev Palpatine (yes, he actually has a name) manipulated the Trade Federation to create a blockade around his homeworld of Naboo to spark a conflict that would elevate him to senator.

first sentence and i already feel you're cheating. i'm referring to the movie, The Phantom Menace. where did you source this info from ?

his home world planet ????