IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

i enjoyed the 6th episode with the jail heist. a little bit. w/e. the concept and production design is good. script writing and direction are subpar. 

is everyone aware that episode 9 comes out next week. not sure anyone actually gives a shit anymore. i don't really but I did just watch the force awakens and last jedi back to back to remind myself what im in for. i thought last jedi was absolute shit when i saw it 2 years ago, but this go round i ignored the retarded stuff and ended up enjoying moments. sporadically engaging with kylo ren and rey. movie should have just ended after they killed snoke and ren has his outstretched hand saying join me. could have been an exciting cliffhanger. instead no one cares what happens because they ended up where they started except luke is dead and leia is dead.. for real. poor rian johnson. in way over his head.

On 12/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, dr lopez said:

is everyone aware that episode 9 comes out next week. not sure anyone actually gives a shit anymore. i don't really but I did just watch the force awakens and last jedi back to back to remind myself what im in for. i thought last jedi was absolute shit when i saw it 2 years ago, but this go round i ignored the retarded stuff and ended up enjoying moments. sporadically engaging with kylo ren and rey. movie should have just ended after they killed snoke and ren has his outstretched hand saying join me. could have been an exciting cliffhanger. instead no one cares what happens because they ended up where they started except luke is dead and leia is dead.. for real. poor rian johnson. in way over his head.

Yeah, it's a weird movie. I think I would liked it better if it had just been all the low-key stuff and none of the action and attempts at humor. I don't even understand why people like the throne room fight scene as much as they do?
I actually liked the fact that Luke was an angry old sot who had realised that being a jedi sucked, and I liked that Rey's parents were nobodies, I actually liked all the apathetic stuff because it was such a huge contrast to the cheery old space opera phantasm. But none of the action was any good (dear lord, what were they thinking when they made Luke spin around like a fucking dreidel while looking like Billy Mays?)

26tmz6.gif

And of course, nobody liked Leia floating in space or the cantina scene and Benicio del Toro was a wasted opportunity.
And with that said... I would have liked it better if it had been nothing but Luke and Rey on that island for two hours and then some redemption action near the end.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:03 PM, Nebraska said:

my question is: what's that direction? is it everyday is a different challenge because mando is moving from one place to another and doing odd jobs? what's the purpose beyond making money (or whatever he earns at the end of each mission)? does he have a specific end goal?

i thought the last episode had a lot of action. but again, i'm completely confused as to the point. couldn't he just have bailed on those mercenaries since obviously they were incredibly untrustworthy? 

Well, we have several plot threads going:

• The Mandalorian is trying to earn money for his clan to help orphans
  • He is trying to keep The Child safe
  • He is on the run from the Bounty Guild, since he violated their code by saving The Child (a bounty)

Along the way he's getting mixed up in local affairs, and as seen in last week's episode, he's being reached out to by old associates (most with the intention of turning on him in light of his transgressions with the Guild).

Clear enough now?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Well, we have several plot threads going:

• The Mandalorian is trying to earn money for his clan to help orphans
  • He is trying to keep The Child safe
  • He is on the run from the Bounty Guild, since he violated their code by saving The Child (a bounty)

Along the way he's getting mixed up in local affairs, and as seen in last week's episode, he's being reached out to by old associates (most with the intention of turning on him in light of his transgressions with the Guild).

Clear enough now?

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 23.05.58.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Uh, all those things are happening in service to the story... don't see how that's not clear.

Then they'll have more loose ends after season 1 than Lost did after 6 seasons, hahaha.

In all seriousness though... it just seems like it's not really telling overarching story. The Mandalorian gets a job that pays so he can move on to the next planet where he'll be tracked down by more bounty hunters and we go "Oh!" at a celebrity cameo.
I'm just kinda waiting for some bad guy to step in to propel the whole thing forward because it's kinda like watching an episode of Scooby Doo where nothing happens has any effect on the next episode.
At one point I guess stuff will start to happen, but right now they're just running in place.

• Like 1

Just now, Squee said:

Then they'll have more loose ends than Lost did after 6 seasons, hahaha.

In all seriousness though... it just seems like it's not really telling overarching story. The Mandalorian gets a job that pays so he can move on to the next planet where he'll be tracked down by more bounty hunters and we go "Oh!" at a celebrity cameo.
I'm just kinda waiting for some bad guy to step in to propel the whole thing forward because it's kinda like watching an episode of Scooby Doo where nothing happens has any effect on the next episode.
At one point I guess stuff will start to happen, but right now they're just running in place.

Ah, I see your point - yeah, it's very much "villain of the week' like @dr lopez might have mentioned previously. Considering there is only 8 episodes in Season One, they better end of a big cliffhanger, unless the whole point was to tell a basic side story - no galaxy-defining events, etc. like the movies tackle.

38 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Clear enough now?

crystal.

i have to say: none of this seemed clear as i thought the storyline with werner herzog was done. i also remember mando going to his fellow mandalorian people and they concluded "this was the way" but i thought they were talking about not removing their masks. btw: are they a species of humanoids that just wear masks 24/7? 

anyway, thank for clearing things up 

giphy.gif

The Mandalorian is like those western old serials, you know like the kind the OT is based on, and samurai movies. Gunslinger saves a child, because he himself was an orphan once, goes from town to town, does odd jobs/beats bad guys to get by. He probably has a place where he is taking the kid to. Maybe the Mandalorians have some sort of ancient arrangement with the Yoda-species yet to be revealed.

17 hours ago, Nebraska said:

crystal.

i have to say: none of this seemed clear as i thought the storyline with werner herzog was done. i also remember mando going to his fellow mandalorian people and they concluded "this was the way" but i thought they were talking about not removing their masks. btw: are they a species of humanoids that just wear masks 24/7? 

anyway, thank for clearing things up 

giphy.gif

"This is the way" refers to never removing their helmets to anyone but a close loved one, etc. Considering Jango Fett was a Mandolorian and he walked around without his helmet quite a bit, I guess he wasn't as religious as say his son Boba or the Mandalorian, but yes they are humanoids.

9 hours ago, azatoth said:

The Mandalorian is like those western old serials, you know like the kind the OT is based on, and samurai movies. Gunslinger saves a child, because he himself was an orphan once, goes from town to town, does odd jobs/beats bad guys to get by. He probably has a place where he is taking the kid to. Maybe the Mandalorians have some sort of ancient arrangement with the Yoda-species yet to be revealed.

John Favreau has said as much in interviews that the series is modeled very closely after western serials and the like.

Honestly, should I bother watching Episodes 7 and 8 for the first time, then go and see episode 9 at the cinema?

I loved the original trilogy as a child, and subsequently watched episodes 1-3 as an adult and thought they were a complete car crash.

WATMM, help me out here.

Edited by Soloman Tump

6 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Honestly, should I bother watching Episodes 7 and 8 for the first time, then go and see episode 9 at the cinema?

I loved the original trilogy as a child, and subsequently watched episodes 1-3 as an adult and thought they were a complete car crash.

WATMM, help me out here.

I think it would be good as a refresher for the current trilogy, so anything that is in IX (and from the reviews coming in, there is a LOT they jammed in this movie), it will probably help.

I'm getting the impressions from the reviews that I have read so far is go in with low expectations, and you will be pleasantly surprised. Go in expecting a satisfying conclusion to 9 films and over 40 years of Star Wars, and you might find yourself disappointed or conflicted at best.

I think Disney's greatest sin when starting a new trilogy was they didn't plan the whole thing out from the get go - they made it up as they went along, and switching directors was a fatal mistake.

49 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

This is stupid. Attack of the Clones is easily the worst one. TPM is factually the best prequel even if you can skip it entirely and not miss any of the storyline at all.

Ok, here are some thoughts.

This movie is in a rush like no other movie I've ever seen before. It's almost as if it's two movies in one and half of the movie is told via the text crawl which makes it even more rushed, because the very first thing you're told is that "PALPATINE LIVES!" Oh. Ok. So this doesn't require an explanation or a fancier introduction than just some text telling you that this is a thing now? And in matter of 10 minutes you've been to nine different planets with 15 different people and boom there's your McGuffin.

It's the least excited I've ever been for a Star Wars movie, and I think that helped me power through it, because it IS entertaining and it sounds and looks gorgeous as always. But they've finally proven something... you can't do anything more with Star Wars. Star Wars was three movies back in the 70s and 80s and every single thing they've tried to do in that universe since then has been held back by the shackles of those original movies because they can't break free of those ideas. There simply aren't any new ide

It's the same old same old, and it's both great and not so great at the same time. The Last Jedi took chances and shit the bed quite a lot, but at least it took chances. This felt like the safest Star Wars movie ever, and I suppose that was exactly what they were going for after the reaction to The Last Jedi.

It's kinda sad really, because at one point something BIG happens in the movie and my reaction was, "holy shit, I did not see that coming" and then 5 minutes later it turns out it didn't actually happen. And it's a same. It's a god damn shame because that is exactly what this movie needs.

Also, Mickey Mouse says it's a-okay to be gay! But you only get like 20 frames of two ladies kissing before they cut away because what if someone was blinded by that faul shit.

• Burger 1