IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

The Mandalorian > Every single prequel and sequel to the Original Trilogy.

Damn that was fun, just finished up the last episode today.  Reignited the super nerd inside of me that was dormant for a while.

• Like 3

The reveal was good and I generally like The Mandalorian overall but it's a shame it's bringing in Jedi's and lightsabres and stuff now. I kinda wanted it to be a separate thing within the Star Wars universe. I am sick of the action scenes of countless stormtroopers being mindlessly executed too. If Mando wasn't completely indestructible it might have a sense of threat. Like, that bit on the truck in the Burr episode when he didn't have his armour was the best action scene all season I think.

• Like 4

Kept getting the feeling it's a bit too much Xena the Warrior Princess. Not the strong female characters (I've checked my privilege!), but the predictable "journey/challenge of the day" format and idiot goons. Doesn't feel engaging at any point. I really like the production values, the Krayt Dragon was one of the few moments blatant CGI isn't an issue to me. Boba's reentry was great, the dad bod strangely made it more believable. For modern day SW it's all decent.

Spoiler

I presume Grogu dies at Hogwarts once Kylo goes loses his shit? Great tie-in! ?

Edited by chim
  • Like 1

i wanna see generative star wars sequels where its 9 hours of wandering thru what looks like the windows maze screensaver but with lightsabers, stormtroopers,yogas etc appearing randomly, scraps of vaguely coherent dialogue & what have you. no discernable plot beyond constant progression. basically recreate the feeling of being a 16 year old insomaniac staying up til 4AM reading wookiepedia & being like "i have no idea what any of this means but some of the nouns are familiar"

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, Cryptowen said:

i wanna see generative star wars sequels where its 9 hours of wandering thru what looks like the windows maze screensaver but with lightsabers, stormtroopers,yogas etc appearing randomly, scraps of vaguely coherent dialogue & what have you. no discernable plot beyond constant progression. basically recreate the feeling of being a 16 year old insomaniac staying up til 4AM reading wookiepedia & being like "i have no idea what any of this means but some of the nouns are familiar"

if SW content beyond lackluster new trilogies is stuff like this I'm ok with that

On 12/21/2020 at 3:40 AM, Blir said:

The reveal was good and I generally like The Mandalorian overall but it's a shame it's bringing in Jedi's and lightsabres and stuff now. I kinda wanted it to be a separate thing within the Star Wars universe. I am sick of the action scenes of countless stormtroopers being mindlessly executed too. If Mando wasn't completely indestructible it might have a sense of threat. Like, that bit on the truck in the Burr episode when he didn't have his armour was the best action scene all season I think.

I have a feeling the Book of Boba Fett is going to steer back into that "hive of scum and villainy aspect." I assume Mandalorian Season 3 is going to be Mandalore driven.

Honestly the season finale was the best thing Disney has done with the franchise. That conclusion made up for the underwhelming anti-climatic mess that was Rise of Skywalker. Sealed my opinion that the Mandalorian series is the best live action media since the original trilogy. 

• Like 2

Here's my latest discovery in weird early EU and bootleg SW goodness - an unauthorized Chinese comic adaptation of A New Hope from 1980 complete with imagery fleshed out with a wide array of Western tropes completely unrelated to the movie.

https://www.nickstember.com/chinese-star-wars-comic-part-1-6/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:40 AM, Blir said:

I think the Jedi and lightsaber stuff will be kept in the spin-off series Ahsoka. Luke was the only choice that made sense and got his Vader at the end of Rogue One moment. I guess s3 will be about how Din gets out of having the Darksaber and there will be minimum Jedi stuff. I do like that in The Mandalorian the Force and Jedi stuff is more myth and old folktales than an actual thing. As it should be for most of the beings in the galaxy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chim said:

Loved that one, the Tusken Raiders were something else for sure...

I spat out my beer when I skimmed around and saw the part where Kenobi talks about his days as a Jedi and it's literally an Arthurian medieval knight on a modern American motorcycle 

7 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

When I saw this scene I was thinking "why didn't they just deepfake it?".
This'll be a thing from now on. Every emotional Hollywood climax has to include a dead-faced cg celebrity. Not that I have any interest in watching it, but for all you Marvel worshippers, be prepared to be emotionally stunned when you see Chadwick Boseman at the end of one of the million Marvel nightmares that are coming out in the next 24 months. You'll be breathless with emotion and awe and then... eeeeeh... oh, I don't know about this.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

On 12/22/2020 at 8:29 PM, joshuatxuk said:

I spat out my beer when I skimmed around and saw the part where Kenobi talks about his days as a Jedi and it's literally an Arthurian medieval knight on a modern American motorcycle 

I spat my beer when I saw Timothy Olyphant riding one of the engines of Anakin's podracer

Screen-Shot-2020-10-30-at-4.19.05-AM.png

Had to google his name, though. Am I the only one that really struggles with remembering the names of all mandalorian characters?

Mandalorian is called Din Djarin, good to know.