IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

10 bucks says they left because she was trying to get them to put in a death star

star wars movies have to have death stars right?

lol. I've been banging on about this forever.

should have started with a death moon, then death planet, then death star, then tandem death star. Guess George blew it by starting with episode 4 first. Idiot.

Edited by olo

I'm gonna speculate that they focused more on the dramatic/character aspects and didn't have enough Star Wars atmosphere on screen to please the producers. Gotta have enough vehicles, weapons, and random side characters to sell toys.

duuuuh duh, duh duh duh duuuuh duh...

The Star Wars Han Solo spin-off has reportedly descended into further chaos, after it was claimed that acting coaches were hired to mentor leading actor Alden Ehrenreich.

Last week, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller left the origins project after reportedly experiencing “deep fundamental differences” with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and scriptwriter Lawrence Kasdan.

Now, it’s claimed that acting coaches were brought in during their time on the project after studio bosses became unsatisfied with the performance that they had received from leading man Alden Ehrenreich.

A report in the Hollywood Reporter claims: “Not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don’t Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.”

Hollywood veteran Ron Howard will now instead helm the film – which is scheduled for release in May next year.

Despite their departure, however, a source claims that the material that they have already filmed is ‘very usable’.

Edited by olo

Mark Hamill has come out and said some pretty serious things about how he was asked to portray Luke in The Last Jedi:

Mark Hamill revealed to Vanity Fair that he had major issues with the film’s portrayal of Luke Skywalker.

Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.’

Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens’s director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard.

To be fair, actors aren’t necessarily the best arbiters of where stories should go, and Hamill had only played Luke for about five minutes between the end of Return of the Jedi and the start of filming for The Last Jedi. But the fact he “fundamentally disagreed” with “every choice” made for Luke seems like a bad omen of the highest magnitude.

I strongly feel that Hamill is the only person left alive who is connected to the franchise and still has some integrity. His recent work has demonstrated a strong understanding of what makes a character and he likely has a better idea than anyone on Luke. More importantly, he loves and respects the fans even after all these years. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised at these statements as it's been clear since the last matinee garbage that the new trilogy isn't the sequel we were looking for. It's actually quite nice to hear that coming from someone behind the scenes. I couldn't really picture, let alone stomach, Hamill saying "this is 100% star wars and is going to be fantastic!"

Well, he's backtracked a bit, probably at Disney's behest:

I got into trouble because… I was quoted as saying to Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you decided about Luke, and it was inartfully phrased. What I was, was surprised at how he saw Luke. And it took me a while to get around to his way of thinking, but once I was there it was a thrilling experience.

did she not read the script before they started shooting? what does "star wars enough" even mean?

This - I hope someday Lord and Miller are able to speak openly about what the conflict was, and what their vision for the movie was.

However, considering (supposedly) the crew "cheered" when it was announced Ron Howard would be taking over, and that the lead actor had to have an acting coach brought on, perhaps they weren't the best choices for directing this kind of movie.

Keep in mind too these movies are effects-heavy, so the footage shot probably is very usable, since it's only 50-60 complete in terms of effects and how it fits into the overall story.

duuuuh duh, duh duh duh duuuuh duh...

The Star Wars Han Solo spin-off has reportedly descended into further chaos, after it was claimed that acting coaches were hired to mentor leading actor Alden Ehrenreich.

Last week, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller left the origins project after reportedly experiencing “deep fundamental differences” with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and scriptwriter Lawrence Kasdan.

Now, it’s claimed that acting coaches were brought in during their time on the project after studio bosses became unsatisfied with the performance that they had received from leading man Alden Ehrenreich.

A report in the Hollywood Reporter claims: “Not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don’t Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.”

Hollywood veteran Ron Howard will now instead helm the film – which is scheduled for release in May next year.

Despite their departure, however, a source claims that the material that they have already filmed is ‘very usable’.

lol

"it's complicated"

even awesomer news

Phil Lord and Chris Miller reportedly concerned studio bosses with their 'screwball comedy angle'

The recently departed Star Wars Han Solo spin-off directors were reportedly sacked for turning the classic franchise character into one more akin to Jim Carrey’s Ace Ventura, according to new reports.

Last week, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller left the prequel project after reportedly experiencing “deep fundamental differences” with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and scriptwriter Lawrence Kasdan.

However, a Star Wars fansite now claims that the directors’ “screwball comedy angle” was “starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about”.

Alden Ehrenreich’s portrayal of a young Han Solo is described in the report as being “oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times”.

It is further claimed that lead star Ehrenreich “let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage.”

This led to Kennedy and Kasdan becoming “deeply concerned” with the direction of the film, according to an anonymous source.

It follows another recent report that acting coaches were hired to mentor Ehrenreich after studio bosses became unsatisfied with the performance that they had received.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...