IGNORED

Pitchfork: The 50 Best IDM Albums of All Time

KovalainenFanBoy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four Tet is IDM?

I'm not sure there's even anything danceable on Rounds, and I've listened to that album while drunk more than once. 

I feel like with Pitchfork's recent collection of 50 best per genre lists the top 3 or so are usually canonical and obvious and the rest is a pretty decent entry guide for new listeners. Obviously I could argue about album placement and what's left out and about how Pitchfork is pretentious but I think in this case I'll just give a spin to the shit I haven't heard before on here and see what I like.

I feel like with Pitchfork's recent collection of 50 best per genre lists the top 3 or so are usually canonical and obvious and the rest is a pretty decent entry guide for new listeners. Obviously I could argue about album placement and what's left out and about how Pitchfork is pretentious but I think in this case I'll just give a spin to the shit I haven't heard before on here and see what I like.

this, no use hemming and hawwing, but by all means list stuff that should have been included so I can add it to my queue

They should just whack them in alphabetical order and name the thing '50 great IDM albums' - save all the ball ache and whining. Quite a lot on there I've not heard of and need to investigate !

They should just whack them in alphabetical order and name the thing '50 great IDM albums' - save all the ball ache and whining. Quite a lot on there I've not heard of and need to investigate !

No, you need the hyperboles and adjectives to guarantee the clicks

I don't know why, but I never knew SAW I was so highly-regarded...

I love SAW1 but saying it's the best IDM album ever is kind of.. dumb.

I love SAW1 but saying it's the best IDM album ever is kind of.. dumb.

SAW being first makes complete sense. That album transcends the electronic music genre, let alone the IDM genre, and is considered a must in any music lover's collection.

ok now look - this jlin thing is getting a little out of hand. i love her music and think she's a very exciting artist but dang simon... don't get caught up in the hype the way you always do. there are about 30+ footwork records that are just as good as black energy. 

other lols:

jon hopkins immunity has absolutely no place on this list.

I guess he really really likes jan jelinek but doesn't put gramm (his best album) on there....

and then there seems to be a nod to clicks and cuts, SND, pan sonic etc but no alva noto or much raster noton... hrmmm...

no team doyobi is mental....

time tourist is obviously top ten, as is orbus terrarum.

UGHGHHH wait now i'm just getting started... so he goes with burger/ink, which in my eyes is just dub techno not really idm. so who the fuck cares about genre it's just a list of not club-friendly electronic music. got it. so no bogdan, no vibert, astrobotnia III is a fucking standard at this point... no phoenecia brownout... FUCK 

and of course, yet again, MBM get the shaft.

ok i'm done.

ok now look - this jlin thing is getting a little out of hand. i love her music and think she's a very exciting artist but dang simon... don't get caught up in the hype the way you always do. there are about 30+ footwork records that are just as good as black energy. 

other lols:

jon hopkins immunity has absolutely no place on this list.

I guess he really really likes jan jelinek but doesn't put gramm (his best album) on there....

and then there seems to be a nod to clicks and cuts, SND, pan sonic etc but no alva noto or much raster noton... hrmmm...

no team doyobi is mental....

time tourist is obviously top ten, as is orbus terrarum.

UGHGHHH wait now i'm just getting started... so he goes with burger/ink, which in my eyes is just dub techno not really idm. so who the fuck cares about genre it's just a list of not club-friendly electronic music. got it. so no bogdan, no vibert, astrobotnia III is a fucking standard at this point... no phoenecia brownout... FUCK 

and of course, yet again, MBM get the shaft.

ok i'm done.

Yeah, the Orb definetely belongs to a list of classic IDM albums along with FSOL, come on now. Lifeforms, ISDN, Dead Cities..

Also the Autechre album selection..

Thought it was a pretty good list my self.. a mean top 50's always going to have people moaning but not a bad effort.. think I have around half of the albums but lots that will be worth me checking out as well

Anyhow back to the whinging people! ;)

this list is a preposterous travisty!!!!!

drown these peasent IDM interlopers in the muddy, moat!!!  

and let the tench, gudgeon and carp suck and eat our their eyeballs and brains, then bring me the empty heads of the swine responisible for writing such useless, pathetic, wretched and woeful words!!

no feed me weird things. no fsol whatsoever.

they just went through the warp catalogue and accidentally stumbled upon some other stuff after realising they didnt manage to get to 50... coooooome ooooon

Archived