IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

"...Ready and willing to fight for the cause of liberty."

Do right-libertarians actually think that de-regulating the world would lead to more liberty?

Does anybody actually wanna live in a country with no EPA or FDA? I mean, look at how bad corporations act with the regulations currently in place: imagine how Nestle or Apple or Monsanto would behave in the Ron Paul Utopia.

Do right-libertarians actually think that de-regulating the world would lead to more liberty?

Does anybody actually wanna live in a country with no EPA or FDA? I mean, look at how bad corporations act with the regulations currently in place: imagine how Nestle or Apple or Monsanto would behave in the Ron Paul Utopia.

They don't think that far. They harken to some non-existent delusional fantasy land in the time of our founding fathers where things were simple and people were self-sufficient and this other vague bullshit, etc and then skip to the cherry-picked corrupt inefficiencies of the EPA and FDA now that some talk radio DJ has relentlessly brought up. Talk about the Republicans of the early 1900s and the Progressive Era reforms like the Pure and Food and Drug Act and they'll change the subject or say "yeah but that could be local control/states rights blah blah blah"

Actual intellectual libertarians (who are basically absent from all this GOP / Tea Party clusterfuck) would talk your ear off about hypothetical scenarios where the private sector regulates itself and how consumers would be able to steer the show but in reality people are fucking idiots.

Yes.

Some aren't as extreme and don't actually want some things, like say public water, de-regulated. And some have totally fucking backtracked *cough*RandPaul*cough* for the sake of being a more reasonable contender on the public stage...but at their core the Libertarian mindset is (much much much) less government in any and all ways possible.

And the thing is, the basic idea is a good one, imo. And in a LOT of people's (see: nearly everyone who considers themselves a Republican these days), and that's why the Libertarian ideals have grown in interest over the past couple decades and began to infiltrate the Republican party (see also: The Tea Party, and How It Will Destroy the Current Republican Party Because Less Gov't Please Bubba). But the idea of reigning in government bloat and pointing out the cases where State and Federal Government are wasteful and unnecessary and out of line doesn't have to become de-regulate and cut all funding to everything now...but a lot of people can't grasp that, it seems. You can trim the fat without chopping off limbs; some just do not stop there, though.

As with most things political there's a great South Park episode that lampoons that concept; something about the boys become hippies and want to get away from government, and then there's a great bit of 'yeah guys like, we don't need government, how about instead i'll be a baker, and you, you can watch out for everyone's safety, like a police officer, and then someone will have to oversee that...' and it's a funny little bit where they of course re-create society, but they're hippies with a revolutionary idea. I think of that shit every time I hear people talk about getting rid of the government like it's a thing they are not a part of and do not benefit from in uncountable ways.

They don't think that far. They harken to some non-existent delusional fantasy land in the time of our founding fathers where things were simple and people were self-sufficient and this other vague bullshit, etc and then skip to the cherry-picked corrupt inefficiencies of the EPA and FDA now that some talk radio DJ has relentlessly brought up. Talk about the Republicans of the early 1900s and the Progressive Era reforms like the Pure and Food and Drug Act and they'll change the subject or say "yeah but that could be local control/states rights blah blah blah"

Actual intellectual libertarians (who are basically absent from all this GOP / Tea Party clusterfuck) would talk your ear off about hypothetical scenarios where the private sector regulates itself and how consumers would be able to steer the show but in reality people are fucking idiots.

Beautiful summary. Belongs to be put on some wall. Preferably some wall on the hill.

I spent way too much time on that site.

Edited by Gocab

^^^ wow. it's like "hey guys, what do think you everyone wants to hear? let's slap that on this picture and that should make me sound like a presidential candidate"