IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Trumpism has relied on the clannish sense that my people matter and yours do not, that violence is how we get stuff done, and that power consists of the capacity for violence and is the ultimate admirable skill. This stuff is woven deep into our society and we are reminded of it every day. Every problem is in part a storytelling problem. We just barely survived the result of some very stupid stories, and the longterm response has to include better stories at the substrata of our imaginations and our lives, personal and political. We have them, but amplifying them, celebrating them, circulating them, arguing their logic in our conversations and speeches and teaching is part of the work all of us can do.

Rebecca Solnit on the Empty Violence of the Underachievers’ Coup (LitHub)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auxien said:

get them to (metaphorically, i guess) cannibalize themselves as they all age and die, but most importantly teach the younger adults/children exactly how and why these people are so dumb and so wrong and why they should be looked down upon and ridiculed like the stupid excuses for a modern civil human they look like from the outside

I'd like to see it all eradicated as well, but it's the kids following in their delusional parents footsteps that I worry about, that they'll drag this on to the next generation... anyone espousing these insane views should be ashamed, but even more so if they spout all this in front of their kids. and let's face it, one of the biggest underlying factors in the root of all this online anger is racism. the first place to promote an accepting view of others is through parenting. how a kid sees their parents act toward others is paramount for them to understand that hostility toward others that may look different than you or hold a different viewpoint isn't ok.

• Like 1

the zip tie guy who was all in black w/body armor etc.. he got arrested after they found video of him celebrating that night... it was his ex-GF who ID'd him and turned him in.  ?  splendid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But whatever you think of Amazon’s actions, the filing makes one thing absolutely clear: Parler was a cesspool of racist hate, insurrectionist appeals against the United States, and chillingly specific death threats.

Amazon Court Filing Includes Chilling Death Threats Published on Parler (Gizmodo)

How does a racist have a beautiful black wife?

46 minutes ago, ignatius said:

the zip tie guy who was all in black w/body armor etc.. he got arrested after they found video of him celebrating that night... it was his ex-GF who ID'd him and turned him in.  ?  splendid. 

I saw that he might have been an Oakland cop. Was that true?

Edited by Braintree

26 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I saw that he might have been an Oakland cop. Was that true?

he's from nashville

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2021/01/10/zip-tie-guy-eric-munchel-arrested-nashville-accused-capitol-riot/6618035002/

there was a 2nd older guy who also had zip ties. also arrested. member of the airforce

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/capitol-riots-zip-ties-larry-brock-eric-munchel-arrested/

ErojZeZU0AAKJ15?format=jpg&name=large

ErojbASUUAAXhJE?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by ignatius

35 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I had no clue who this guy even is, but that confused me as well. I don't know enough about proud boys to understand what the hell they believe in exactly.

found this article on him though...apparently he's not racist?

https://www.kitv.com/story/42687573/facebook-deletes-campaign-page-of-proud-boy-running-for-hawaii-house-seat

The Democratic Party of Hawaii also called out Ochs for a history of offensive posts on social media about the Black, Jewish, and LGBT communities, as well as a video showing Ochs urinating into active lava fissure at the Kilauea volcano.

"This isn't a political issue, this is a moral issue, this is about what we as a community stand for and we as welcoming people of Hawaii believe in," says Tyler Dos Santos-Tam, the chair of the Hawaii Democratic Party.

Ochs' opponent, Democratic nominee Adrian Tam, also denounced the posts. "I hope the voters know that this does not represent Hawaii values and more importantly that they exercise their right to vote and reject this racism, bigotry, and hateful ideology," he says.

Ochs is defending himself, saying while his language isn't politically correct, he denies he's a racist or white supremacist.

"I'm happy to talk to anyone. And again, I am either the world's worst racist, or I'm not a racist. You have to acknowledge that a white supremacist does not marry a black woman and have a mixed family, that is not what that word means and the people that are throwing it around are disingenuous," Ochs tells KITV4.

The Democratic Party of Hawaii called on the Hawaii Republican Party to denounce Ochs' remarks.  Republican Party chair Shirlene Ostrov told KITV4 the party had no comment, and that they stand by Ochs as their GOP nominee for the seat.   

^ that last one exhibits classic karen posturing...the way her shoulders are slightly hunched, mouth jutted forward...I don't even need to hear a word to be able to tell it is going to be non-stop verbal diarrhea time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jules said:

Does that mean he loses his healthcare, pension, travel, and ability to ever run for office again or does it have to go through the Senate to determine that?

I’m of the understanding he has to be convicted in the senate first

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Upset man said:

I’m of the understanding he has to be convicted in the senate first

Damn. Oh well. He def won't be convicted in the Senate. And now we pay him for the rest of his life. 

3 minutes ago, jules said:

Damn. Oh well. He def won't be convicted in the Senate. And now we pay him for the rest of his life. 

The fallback position could be censuring him under Article 3 of the 14th Amendment, which prevents someone who's taken part in an insurrection against the United States from ever running for federal office.

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4

Censuring him can affect his ability to run again, collect his pension, etc. I believe. He also still gets his full Secret Service detail, as I think his entire family does, to defend them from a lifetime of being harassed in public, people throwing stuff at them, maybe trying to physically accost one they don’t like. ymmv

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jules said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  Mitch hasn't said one way or the other, he said he'll listen to the evidence (lol, shouldn't he do that every time?).

I read somewhere that one of the biggest motivators to convict in the Senate is because the Rs have recently lost a lot of big / corporate donors, and they think that if they convict Trump it could bring some of that money flowing back in.  It's just crazy enough to work, having money be the only motivation for impeachment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jules said:

Does that mean he loses his healthcare, pension, travel, and ability to ever run for office again or does it have to go through the Senate to determine that?

No, it means the senate won't pass it and nothing will happen.

12 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  Mitch hasn't said one way or the other, he said he'll listen to the evidence (lol, shouldn't he do that every time?).

I read somewhere that one of the biggest motivators to convict in the Senate is because the Rs have recently lost a lot of big / corporate donors, and they think that if they convict Trump it could bring some of that money flowing back in.  It's just crazy enough to work, having money be the only motivation for impeachment.

I'm pretty sure it takes a 2/3 majority. Not happening.

8 minutes ago, Upset man said:

So censure him. He shouldn’t receive a pension or any government benefits.

Also realize what a pain in the ass it is to secure the surrounding area to Trump Tower