IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Some pretty unsettling business happening this weekend.  Major military training exercises in my city, covering a lot of the downtown but also there were helicopters and some kind of pyrotechnics close enough to my house to shake the entire building in the middle of the night the other day for nearly an hour.  Last night I talked to someone from New Bedford who said they were doing something similar there the same day, four hours of military exercises involving people on the ground and multiple helicopters starting around 11 pm all over the city.  Military jets flying over today. Not at all comfortable with the military training for action in US cities.  I saw how quickly and completely Boston was shut down just by the militarized local police force after the marathon bombing.  I don't like thinking about what will probably happen if (or more likely when, unfortunately) something like what we're seeing in London happens in a major US city. Or even a natural or infrastructure disaster, given that FEMA has been gutted and literally doesn't even have an administrator right now, so if there's a major hurricane or large scale power failure or anything, federal aid is probably going to be coming more from, say, National Guard or Homeland Security.

Yeah that is unusual. Was there any push back on it? How much heads up did the public get? US military exercises in civilian areas isn't unheard of (all the rural towns around Ft. Bragg in NC for example would regularly participate in wargames for US green berets training in the area, acting as fake country called "Pineland" - the personal in training literally act like embedded advisors assisting local rebels as if it's a foreign country - fascinating stuff actually). That said to have on is such an urban area is strange. The scary reason would be to practice martial law. The other reason could be to practice urban warfare in a non-desert global flashpoint - say in East Ukraine or the Balkans or wooded highlands of Korea. US military hasn't done that in earnest since the cold war, save a little in the Balkans.

It was interesting seeing how "outraged" Republicans got over the Jade Helm exercises, in Texas especially. They had to have town meeting in Bastrop, TX and I remember vividly watching a bewildered US Army rep calmly listen to people yell at him about how he and the US military was building tunnels under the local Wal-Mart that lead to a secret detention center, by order of Obama as a NWO puppet (literally not exaggerating that claim at all). Bet the same GOP legislators had no qualms with this or the US military drills that had to be done because Trump wants to keep working out his tower.

Edited by joshuatx

Some pretty unsettling business happening this weekend.  Major military training exercises in my city, covering a lot of the downtown but also there were helicopters and some kind of pyrotechnics close enough to my house to shake the entire building in the middle of the night the other day for nearly an hour.  Last night I talked to someone from New Bedford who said they were doing something similar there the same day, four hours of military exercises involving people on the ground and multiple helicopters starting around 11 pm all over the city.  Military jets flying over today. Not at all comfortable with the military training for action in US cities.  I saw how quickly and completely Boston was shut down just by the militarized local police force after the marathon bombing.  I don't like thinking about what will probably happen if (or more likely when, unfortunately) something like what we're seeing in London happens in a major US city. Or even a natural or infrastructure disaster, given that FEMA has been gutted and literally doesn't even have an administrator right now, so if there's a major hurricane or large scale power failure or anything, federal aid is probably going to be coming more from, say, National Guard or Homeland Security.

this sounds a lot like Jade helm paranoia. I'm guessing the military are always doing training like this?

this sounds a lot like Jade helm paranoia. I'm guessing the military are always doing training like this?

Not in major cities without notifying residents (beyond a couple people I know who got Facebook notifications a few hours in advance).  I've never heard the army conducting two major training operations late at night in the center of a densely populated city in my life, much less simultaneously in TWO neighboring cities using ground troops, aircraft and some kind of pyrotechnics or blank firearms (I didn't see what that stuff was, I just heard the blasts down the street.  There have been gun fights on my street a few times and this was way beyond anything civilian.

There's still some weird business going on today, too. A fighter jet flew over earlier and actually just as I finished the last paragraph I could hear another helicopter maybe a mile away, at most. It's still there.  Bigger and louder than the police or news helicopters you usually hear.

Strange and ominous.

EDIT: I'm not talking about some kind of conspiracy theory paranoia, I'm just saying the response next time there is a major national security even is likely to be far more military than we've seen in this country in my lifetime, that's a given if only because of how militarized the police have become in the last 15 years and national guard doing unannounced late night training operations in my neighborhood is not an encouraging sign.

I was at the marathon bombing a few years ago and it took them about two hours to put the entire greater Boston area under what amounted to house arrest (people were officially restricted from leaving their homes for most of a day), conducted door to door searches, and ended up gunning down a suspect on the street with automatic weapons in front of a friend's apartment while he liveblogged it, so this is pretty real for me.  It is not that hard to lock down a city if people are afraid enough.

Anyhow, again, I don't think they're planning martial law or anything. It's just a very unusual situation.

Edited by RSP

Some pretty unsettling business happening this weekend. Major military training exercises in my city, covering a lot of the downtown but also there were helicopters and some kind of pyrotechnics close enough to my house to shake the entire building in the middle of the night the other day for nearly an hour. Last night I talked to someone from New Bedford who said they were doing something similar there the same day, four hours of military exercises involving people on the ground and multiple helicopters starting around 11 pm all over the city. Military jets flying over today. Not at all comfortable with the military training for action in US cities. I saw how quickly and completely Boston was shut down just by the militarized local police force after the marathon bombing. I don't like thinking about what will probably happen if (or more likely when, unfortunately) something like what we're seeing in London happens in a major US city. Or even a natural or infrastructure disaster, given that FEMA has been gutted and literally doesn't even have an administrator right now, so if there's a major hurricane or large scale power failure or anything, federal aid is probably going to be coming more from, say, National Guard or Homeland Security.

Not in major cities without notifying residents (beyond a couple people I know who got Facebook notifications a few hours in advance). I've never heard the army conducting two major training operations late at night in the center of a densely populated city in my life, much less simultaneously in TWO neighboring cities using ground troops, aircraft and some kind of pyrotechnics or blank firearms (I didn't see what that stuff was, I just heard the blasts down the street. There have been gun fights on my street a few times and this was way beyond anything civilian.

There's still some weird business going on today, too. A fighter jet flew over earlier and actually just as I finished the last paragraph I could hear anoter helicopter maybe a mile away, at most. It's still there. Bigger and louder than the police or news helicopters you usually hear.

Strange and ominous.

When Homeland Security mobilizes, it can also be pretty scary. I didn't realize they had their own black SUV / black helicopter military force, but after Hurricane Ike, they were all over the Galleria area of Houston, speeding down congested streets in vehicle columns where lots of pedestrians were, this was while the power grid was completely fucked and they were paranoid the wealthy jewelry stores, etc. would get looted. They all had body armor and automatic rifles slung, with the requisite black sunglasses. It was like a Philip K Dick book or something.

Not in major cities without notifying residents (beyond a couple people I know who got Facebook notifications a few hours in advance).  I've never heard the army conducting two major training operations late at night in the center of a densely populated city in my life, much less simultaneously in TWO neighboring cities using ground troops, aircraft and some kind of pyrotechnics or blank firearms (I didn't see what that stuff was, I just heard the blasts down the street.  There have been gun fights on my street a few times and this was way beyond anything civilian.

There's still some weird business going on today, too. A fighter jet flew over earlier and actually just as I finished the last paragraph I could hear another helicopter maybe a mile away, at most. It's still there.  Bigger and louder than the police or news helicopters you usually hear.

Strange and ominous.

EDIT: I'm not talking about some kind of conspiracy theory paranoia, I'm just saying the response next time there is a major national security even is likely to be far more military than we've seen in this country in my lifetime, that's a given if only because of how militarized the police have become in the last 15 years and national guard doing unannounced late night training operations in my neighborhood is not an encouraging sign.

I was at the marathon bombing a few years ago and it took them about two hours to put the entire greater Boston area under what amounted to house arrest (people were officially restricted from leaving their homes for most of a day), conducted door to door searches, and ended up gunning down a suspect on the street with automatic weapons in front of a friend's apartment while he liveblogged it, so this is pretty real for me.  It is not that hard to lock down a city if people are afraid enough.

That is unreal...I really wonder what the reasoning is behind the missions. 

I think the another scary thing, granted this is a somewhat different angle, is we actually have a shrinking military in terms of personal (albeit defense spending is still insane too) while contracted law enforcement, security, etc. is going up and like you said, law enforcement is becoming so well-armed and equipped that they are making national guard redundant...which I find alarming in a sense because it's a lot easier to call up a sheriff or city police than the guard - and the idea of local cops with armored vehicles and automatic rifles is something that should never have been normalized. Hell, it was a big deal to see security airman walking around with a M-16 when I was a kid living on active-duty Air Force bases in 90s yet now it's completely typical to see multiple state troopers walking around the Texas State Capitol with AR-15s.

Edited by joshuatx

Some pretty unsettling business happening this weekend. Major military training exercises in my city, covering a lot of the downtown but also there were helicopters and some kind of pyrotechnics close enough to my house to shake the entire building in the middle of the night the other day for nearly an hour. Last night I talked to someone from New Bedford who said they were doing something similar there the same day, four hours of military exercises involving people on the ground and multiple helicopters starting around 11 pm all over the city. Military jets flying over today. Not at all comfortable with the military training for action in US cities. I saw how quickly and completely Boston was shut down just by the militarized local police force after the marathon bombing. I don't like thinking about what will probably happen if (or more likely when, unfortunately) something like what we're seeing in London happens in a major US city. Or even a natural or infrastructure disaster, given that FEMA has been gutted and literally doesn't even have an administrator right now, so if there's a major hurricane or large scale power failure or anything, federal aid is probably going to be coming more from, say, National Guard or Homeland Security.

Not in major cities without notifying residents (beyond a couple people I know who got Facebook notifications a few hours in advance). I've never heard the army conducting two major training operations late at night in the center of a densely populated city in my life, much less simultaneously in TWO neighboring cities using ground troops, aircraft and some kind of pyrotechnics or blank firearms (I didn't see what that stuff was, I just heard the blasts down the street. There have been gun fights on my street a few times and this was way beyond anything civilian.

There's still some weird business going on today, too. A fighter jet flew over earlier and actually just as I finished the last paragraph I could hear anoter helicopter maybe a mile away, at most. It's still there. Bigger and louder than the police or news helicopters you usually hear.

Strange and ominous.

When Homeland Security mobilizes, it can also be pretty scary. I didn't realize they had their own black SUV / black helicopter military force, but after Hurricane Ike, they were all over the Galleria area of Houston, speeding down congested streets in vehicle columns where lots of pedestrians were, this was while the power grid was completely fucked and they were paranoid the wealthy jewelry stores, etc. would get looted. They all had body armor and automatic rifles slung, with the requisite black sunglasses. It was like a Philip K Dick book or something.

Yeah you don't realize it's even there until suddenly there's an armored vehicle the size of a bus driving down the main street through town.

When I was living up there in the years after 9/11 there would be Homeland Security people with automatic weapons doing random bag checks at the subway entrances every few weeks for a year or two, and sometimes they'd stop the commuter rail trains and sweep through with dogs.  And that was before we went into Iraq, things are a lot farther along now, not for some shadowy, sinister reason but because police forces across the country have been cutting costs for the past 15 years by reworking their training programs to more closely resemble military training so that they can recruit officers straight out of the military when they fnish their tours of duty and put them to work with only minimal training.  The fact that we've ended up with police forces that basically operate like an arm of the military in a lot of ways is just a side effect of that plus military contractors who will jump at any opportunity to sell more products by marketing to the police, even if they're completely inappropriate for the job.

It's nothing so clean, simple and unambigous as an Alex Jones style conspiracy.  Nothing ever is.

Strange and ominous.

Yeah you don't realize it's even there until suddenly there's an armored vehicle the size of a bus driving down the main street through town.

When I was living up there in the years after 9/11 there would be Homeland Security people with automatic weapons doing random bag checks at the subway entrances every few weeks for a year or two, and sometimes they'd stop the commuter rail trains and sweep through with dogs.  And that was before we went into Iraq, things are a lot farther along now, not for some shadowy, sinister reason but because police forces across the country have been cutting costs for the past 15 years by reworking their training programs to more closely resemble military training so that they can recruit officers straight out of the military when they fnish their tours of duty and put them to work with only minimal training.  The fact that we've ended up with police forces that basically operate like an arm of the military in a lot of ways is just a side effect of that plus military contractors who will jump at any opportunity to sell more products by marketing to the police, even if they're completely inappropriate for the job.

It's nothing so clean, simple and unambigous as an Alex Jones style conspiracy.  Nothing ever is.

IMO this is the consequences of Afganistan and Iraq.. the US is kind of stuck with the military spending, because you have a lot of people whose income depends on there being a war somewhere. And what's worse, I don't think the US has really been in a serious war since Vietnam, so most people even with actual combat experience think war is something they fucking see on television or that it's like Iraq where you go fight for 6 months and come back to your house that's not been bombed and infrastructure that's working. So it's easy for the US to slip into a war because all the people who have really experienced one are dead or dying of old age.

Strange and ominous.

IMO this is the consequences of Afganistan and Iraq.. the US is kind of stuck with the military spending, because you have a lot of people whose income depends on there being a war somewhere. And what's worse, I don't think the US has really been in a serious war since Vietnam, so most people even with actual combat experience think war is something they fucking see on television or that it's like Iraq where you go fight for 6 months and come back to your house that's not been bombed and infrastructure that's working. So it's easy for the US to slip into a war because all the people who have really experienced one are dead or dying of old age.

this has been the case since WWII.  military industrial congressional complex is a thing.  we've had military actions of one kind or another steadily since WWII. 

Strange and ominous.

Yeah, definitely.

Military-industrial complex is real but it has also expanded to include other industries and areas of government since Vietnam.

Edited by RSP

Oh and last thing on this, but it's important to remember that in the case of the marathon bombing the whole military-style lockdown of the city was a counterproductive farce that amounted to the BPD getting a chance to show off their new toys and execute a cornered suspect in the street, who it turned out would have been an invaluable material witness and whose death caused problems during the trial of the surviving suspect (who, it should also be noted, had been on police radar for literally years but was ignored).

The whole militarized response to situations like that which is what I suspect they're training for, often does more harm than good and often just amounts to a demonstration of the potential for force.

Yeah, definitely.

Military-industrial complex is real but it has also expanded to include other industries and areas of government since Vietnam.

yeah.. i added congress to it.. it's been that way for decades. congress, the pentagon, defense industries, logistics industry, private security firms etc.. etc etc.. there's a big revolving door between all of them. 

military -> pentagon-> congress -> defense contractor job -> lobbyist job  - - - take all those up and shuffle them around in any order and you've got lot's of scenarios for problems.. and conflicts of interest

And ditto on the Trump investigation:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/875140794965000192

That first thread you've posted was interesting. This one's a bombshell! It really picks up when he recognizes Trump having a temperament to always commit perjury. The White House has become a crime scene....

O my lol

The House still has to move for impeachment and with it being controlled by the GOP, I doubt they have the spines to do that. They still need to push through their tax cuts for the rich. The Senate also needs to push through their secretly written healthcare act, which of course will cause millions to lose their coverage and lead to thousands of deaths. Of course, building a case for impeachment could take years and with the mid-terms next year, the Dems could get a majority in the House, the Senate will still be in the GOP's control. So time will tell. But reading some interviews of Trump voters, who most likely will be negatively affected by Trump's and the GOP's policies, they don't seem to care.

I think all this just shows that the American system is broken on a fundamental level. When the constitution and later amendments were written, it was a time when the elected representatives put country before party and followed unwritten rules of decorum and procedure. That's all out of the window with the hyper-partisanship that has largely been caused by the infotainment news that created alternative reality bubbles where facts don't matter. The influx of big dollars in elections also fucked up the system. Instead of actual governing, the main job for the representatives is to fundraise so they can be elected and do the bidding of their big donors.

The American experiment seems to have run its course. Had a long run, where it did some good things but more of the bad.

Edited by azatoth

every time i see her i think of that video of the guy painting CUNT on the wall and the girl asking "What's it say?" and he says... "CUUUUUUNTTTT!"

she's a fucking horrible person. these people are all so fucked.. they don't care about anyone who doesn't have at least $10 million in assets. 

Yeah, I saw this earlier and forgot to post it. Sessions will be stepping down at some point, possibly sooner rather than later.

i hope he steps down off a cliff and lands on a discarded toilet head first and dies.