IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

More on the combat simulation in my neighborhood, including a bit of video. 

Despite that photo of a flyer in the article there were absolutely no flyers in my neighborhood, which is half a block from where the videos were shot.  There were between 5 and 8 explosions total, and the blackhawk helicopters came back and circled for about 15 minutes an hour later.

I've been talking to people who were outside when it happened and I underestimated how serious it was.  No explanations were given, residents that approached had a large spotlight shone in their eyes and were ordered to return to their homes by armed soldiers.

There are dedicated training facilities for this sort of operation, doing it in a residential neighborhood is highly unusual to say the least.

every time i see her i think of that video of the guy painting CUNT on the wall and the girl asking "What's it say?" and he says... "CUUUUUUNTTTT!"

lol

The House still has to move for impeachment and with it being controlled by the GOP, I doubt they have the spines to do that. They still need to push through their tax cuts for the rich.

It's not like the vice president is a democrat

The House still has to move for impeachment and with it being controlled by the GOP, I doubt they have the spines to do that. They still need to push through their tax cuts for the rich.

Even if Pence left office, the next in line is Paul Ryan, and after him is ORRIN HATCH, which would if anything be worse than Trump himself.  I think the GOP will be pretty satisfied in any case.

Plus repeal and replace is as good as passed already, and that is the ultimate tax cut.  That's what some of them have been working on for their entire careers.  Once they get that they might finally cut the rope although I'm not optimistic and frankly I think he's going to make it all 4 years and by the end of it the country will be so desperate that we'd actually do something as indescribably stupid as electing Mark Zuckerberg just because he branded himself as a Democrat.

Yes, I'm fully aware that link says Zuckerberg is not running.  We all know how much that means.

Edited by RSP

did you guys see that episode where trump sells qatar 1,2 billions of weapons after saying its very naughty to support terror

Yes. Insanity. Probably didnt even know/care.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-sells-qatar-12-billion-arms-days-after-accusing-it-of-funding-terrorism/

He didnt even know about U.S troops/base in Qatar either. 

Even if Pence left office, the next in line is Paul Ryan, and after him is ORRIN HATCH, which would if anything be worse than Trump himself.  I think the GOP will be pretty satisfied in any case.

Plus repeal and replace is as good as passed already, and that is the ultimate tax cut.  That's what some of them have been working on for their entire careers.  Once they get that they might finally cut the rope although I'm not optimistic and frankly I think he's going to make it all 4 years and by the end of it the country will be so desperate that we'd actually do something as indescribably stupid as electing Mark Zuckerberg just because he branded himself as a Democrat.

Yes, I'm fully aware that link says Zuckerberg is not running.  We all know how much that means.

We might even end up with Orrin Snatch but it's not like he'd try to rock the boat, he'd just be a placeholder. 

We might even end up with Orrin Snatch but it's not like he'd try to rock the boat, he'd just be a placeholder. 

Trump is just a placeholder, the real action is going on in the background while he distracts us.

The toruble is he's an incompotent, uncooperative, megalomaniacal, possibly literally mentally ill placeholder so even someone like Pence would be a slight improvement because at least he might understand that some lines aren't worth crossing. Maybe.  I might be giving him too much credit.

whatever happens, hopefully its enough to fuck the republican party hard enough that the legislative damage they do can be repealed quickly

probably wishful thinking

the surviving suspect (who, it should also be noted, had been on police radar for literally years but was ignored).

Why is it a problem that he was on the police radar for years but was ignored?

The American experiment seems to have run its course. Had a long run, where it did some good things but more of the bad.

I'd disagree with that 100% - it did much more good than bad. The international order since the end of WW2 (with two superpowers) has been one of the most peaceful times in recorded history. I'm sure people will point to the numerous wars and conflicts since then, but when looking ta the world as a whole, the statement stands.

Absolute poverty has been reduced drastically, health indicators have gone up globally, education has become more accessible, goods have become cheaper than ever, and services are following suit.

Yes there are problems (climate change being the big bad boy, followed by wealth inequality), but on the whole, it's tough to argue that capitalism and democracy has made the world worse off.

Trump on the other hand - well if the world followed his lead, then we'd be in trouble. Luckily, grown-ups have seen fit to let him throw his tantrum in isolation and will continue the efforts largely led by the US in the 20th century to make the world a more prosperous, more civil, and more peaceful place.

How do we effectively convince Republicans that their party has been hijacked by extremists? These people want to take school lunches away from students from lower income families.

I don't think they need convincing of anything and are fully aware of what is going on. Most of them seem to want to look the other way regarding the poor and struggling so they can hop on the millionaire gravy train with everyone else. They all seem to want to construct some kind of rich white gated (walled?) utopia and let everyone else die.

If that is not the case, I haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise. There are people in govt and the press literally telling them to their faces what the consequences will be, yet they push forward.

If they really are that myopic and adhere to some ideological principles purely on a policy level with no thought at all to how they affect real humans out in the world, I'd be honestly shocked at their stupidity.

How do we effectively convince Republicans that their party has been hijacked by extremists? These people want to take school lunches away from students from lower income families.

all my life they've wanted to do that. they've wanted to cut welfare, cut after school programs, defund the NEA and NEH, they cut federal funding for all mental health facilities and closed them (some needed to be closed) and just gave those people bus tickets and kicked them out. reagan did that.  i talked to a guy who grew up near that really famous state hospital in massachusetts and he said when he was a kid in the 80s they closed and half the people got on busses to wherever and the half the people just walked off into the woods. 

the repubs have been high jacked for sure.. but they're only a shade more evil than most conservatives in congress. there has always been 'wingnuts' on the fringes and certainly the 'freedmon caucaus... or tea party' or whatever the fuck they call themselves.. they are on the fringes and have different priorities. and they're holding all of congress hostage in many cases. 

the republicans serve a different master and always have. but the current leadership is extremist. think about when obama took office and they had that closed door meeting "we're going to obstruct everything this president tries to do even if it's a thing we like" and they rarely if ever broke rank on that. even conservative legislature that embodied ideas they'd put forward in previous years.. nope.. didn't matter.. they opposed it.. obstructed it.. it's why obama wrote executive orders when he could. 

so while yes there are extremists.. the republican party isn't straying far from it's norms.. cutting taxes.. cutting social programs... increasing military spending etc this is what they do and will keep doing. they're just in power now so are doing it behind closed doors w/no open debates.  it's mean, it's ugly but it is on purpose and wholly supported by the republicans in power.  their constituents maybe not so much.. perhaps that's what you mean by convincing them they're being hijacked? but those people will just keep voting for the same shit over and over again out of spite and stupidity etc etc... 

I'm really talking about the voter base, not policy makers. It's just becoming a lot more obvious that they're voting for politicians that want to take things away from them. How is it that Republican voters can consistently vote against their own interests?

Lack of education, obviously, but given how ubiquitous the internet is, you would assume they would be a lot more informed.

I'm really talking about the voter base, not policy makers. It's just becoming a lot more obvious that they're voting for politicians that want to take things away from them. How is it that Republican voters can consistently vote against their own interests?

Lack of education, obviously, but given how ubiquitous the internet is, you would assume they would be a lot more informed.

They also exist in a media echochamber. Brietbart, Fox News, etc basically tell them this is the correct thing to do and reassure them at every turn. They don't venture out media-wise because they are conditioned to hate the "liberal media"

for along time i've thought it doesn't matter.  politics is like a team sport. they want their team to win. the other team.. the dems and liberals are the team of "faggots and pussies who want to take away guns and give out free money to lazy blacks who don't want to work".. and heaven forbid you let those people win. cutoff their noses to spite their faces. every damn time..  because the politicians know how to press their buttons.. abortion, religion, america fuck yeah and all that shit..  it's not even about issues it's about emotions.. and team fucking sports.. they want to win regardless of who suffers even if it's themselves. 

you have to have some real awful hurtful and clear as fucking day proof of some shit that lands on their doorstep to get them to change their minds.. and even then the politics will be played hard and misinformation.. and talk radio and all that crap will get rammed down their throats and they'll eat it up. 

the sides are set.. it's just the swing voters and the young voters who will be in play.  people have voted against themselves my entire adult life. i'm nearing 46.  it's only getting worse.