IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Delaying stimulus checks so Trump can put his name on them, too.

I think it's time we just agree the whole America experiment has been a resounding failure. Burn it to the ground and start again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No, it is a resounding success. The US does everything on a level other countries can't even hope to aspire to.

Italians, for example, had Berlusconi. That was idiotic. Philippinos one upped them with that Duerte guy. But the US? Truly number one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

90% of the stimulus package is already spent. most of it went to big business. the one time check for people is too little. in seattle alone there's like 100,000 restaurant workers who haven't had a paycheck in 3 weeks.  just listened to an interview w/the starbucks guy who said they're paying their employees through the shutdown but all the small businesses can't do that. they created a fund for local out of work people to get $500. started w/$12 million. already processed 7000 applications. said it's basically people who are desperate. apparently all the small business loans that become grants if employees remain on the payroll haven't come through and many don't qualify or haven't been able to get through the red tape etc. 

seems like typical USA mismanagement. 

I was talking to a coworker yesterday about the stimulus check and she said she's going to donate hers to local food banks. I didn't get mine yet but I like the general idea and might do something similar. I'd rather put that money where it has a chance to solve some problems for folks who need help. I'm not sure what that looks like yet though.

17 hours ago, Nebraska said:

i wonder if he's talking about the 1953 sleeper or 62 epic disaster. either way:

the press has always had it for everything trump. even his favorite films ?

JESUS. I didn't know I could hate someone this much. Absolute pyscho. Proudly comparing himself to Bligh. My fucking god. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

I was talking to a coworker yesterday about the stimulus check and she said she's going to donate hers to local food banks. I didn't get mine yet but I like the general idea and might do something similar. I'd rather put that money where it has a chance to solve some problems for folks who need help. I'm not sure what that looks like yet though.

I'm about to do just that. Just trying to figure out which ones have the most direct impact.

• Like 1

We’ve never backed a Democrat for president. But Trump must be defeated.

When we founded the Lincoln Project, we did so with a clear mission: to defeat President Trump in November. Publicly supporting a Democratic nominee for president is a first for all of us. We are in extraordinary times, and we have chosen to put country over party — and former vice president Joe Biden is the candidate who we believe will do the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/15/weve-never-backed-democrat-president-trump-must-be-defeated/

• Thanks 1

Not sure what he means with America First, btw. Most deaths? If so, yeah Trump is doing a superb job! Although, by withdrawing funding for the WHO, he makes it more difficult for himself to win the most deaths contest. It makes the coordination for the development of vaccines and cures so much harder.

From a few conversations I've had and observed, Conservatives believe that the reason the USA has the most deaths is because we're the best in the world at testing them (and that other countries are not giving accurate counts).

Edited by Brisbot
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ignatius said:

hopefully they will be partaking in this new challenge. the winner gets a guaranteed entrance into heaven

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Brisbot Simple: compare the absolute number of deaths in this period to years before in the same period. Regardless of cause of death. The impact of Corona will be painfully clear.

And to be perfectly honest, it's a bit apples and oranges to compare the US with, say, individual countries in Europe. It's better to do per capita. And that leaves the China thing, I guess. But again, it's a fairly straightforward analysis to compare all deaths regardless of cause to the historic average in that region. If you don't believe the official covid-death numbers, that is. 

When you compare "per capita" the US currently isn't the worst at all, btw. But, this doesn't tell the whole story either, as the statistics aren't stable. Each region is in a different phase of the corona-cycle. 

And the comparison with China isn't fair either. As China had to deal with a single starting point. The US had to deal with multiple starting points.

For a bit more info:

Edited by goDel
  • Farnsworth 1

Did those $1200 stimulus checks just go to every person over the age of 18 in the US, regardless of if they were working or not?

10 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Did those $1200 stimulus checks just go to every person over the age of 18 in the US, regardless of if they were working or not?

stole this from CNN:

Here's who is eligible for a stimulus payment

The amount you'll receive will depend on your total income in 2019 or 2018. If you qualify, you'll receive one payment. Here's who qualifies:

• If you're a single US resident and have an adjusted gross income less than $99,000
  • If you file as the head of a household and earn under $146,500
  • If you file jointly without children and earn less than $198,000

55 minutes ago, goDel said:

@Brisbot Simple: compare the absolute number of deaths in this period to years before in the same period. Regardless of cause of death. The impact of Corona will be painfully clear.

And to be perfectly honest, it's a bit apples and oranges to compare the US with, say, individual countries in Europe. It's better to do per capita. And that leaves the China thing, I guess. But again, it's a fairly straightforward analysis to compare all deaths regardless of cause to the historic average in that region. If you don't believe the official covid-death numbers, that is. 

When you compare "per capita" the US currently isn't the worst at all, btw. But, this doesn't tell the whole story either, as the statistics aren't stable. Each region is in a different phase of the corona-cycle. 

And the comparison with China isn't fair either. As China had to deal with a single starting point. The US had to deal with multiple starting points.

For a bit more info:

That sounds straightforward and logical. We both know that won't work. Lol.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

stole this from CNN:

Here's who is eligible for a stimulus payment

The amount you'll receive will depend on your total income in 2019 or 2018. If you qualify, you'll receive one payment. Here's who qualifies:

• If you're a single US resident and have an adjusted gross income less than $99,000
  • If you file as the head of a household and earn under $146,500
  • If you file jointly without children and earn less than $198,000

yeah, but now the democrats are blocking all those sweet checks from being delivered to small businesses

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

yeah, but now the democrats are blocking all those sweet checks from being delivered to small businesses

I mean even a broken clock is wrong..... lessee 1440 minutes in a day... divide that by 2.... a broken clock is wrong only 718 minutes a day.

4 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I mean even a broken clock is wrong..... lessee 1440 minutes in a day... divide that by 2.... a broken clock is wrong only 718 minutes a day.

that's why the opening up america plan is so good. so we can fix those clocks and get back to capitalism

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

And of course it's because senate Democrats are trying to get more money now for hospitals and other essential community services.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/493194-senate-adjourns-with-no-deal-on-small-business-loan-program

What a shit show.