IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

It's different in that it's pro-nuclear which the green new deal never was, it's similar in other aspects, but it's a pretty important difference! Biden has been quiet about being pro-nuclear (which is smart, as people are dumb and so it's not a vote winner), but it's there on his website.

Also, 'minus the crazy' is also an important distinction, lol. I assume they're referring to MMT?

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

from that article:

Sen. Ron Wyden, who resides in Portland, told The Intercept, “It would be totally unacceptable for U.S. armed forces to take part in surveillance of protests in an American city,” adding, “I’ve asked the Air Force to explain these flights, includingwhy this plane is circling Portland, what data it is collecting and who approved the mission.”

I bet I know who...

It’s interesting to note that the protests in Portland are basically a small 3 block radius or so in downtown Portland. The news media and social media make it seem like the whole city is a war zone.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

It’s interesting to note that the protests in Portland are basically a small 3 block radius or so in downtown Portland. The news media and social media make it seem like the whole city is a war zone.  

have had this conversation w/one of my nephews about what is and isn't a riot and he compared rodney king verdict to riots in portland and i lol'd and had drill it in his head that these are not in any way the same things. 

also, worth mentioning that protesting and marches in portland happen year round regardless of who is president. there's always something. sure, it's not typical to have 50+ days of marches and protests but there's months where once a week there's a march and traffic is blocked etc. it's just a thing here. 

i had to explain how how protests and marches happen here. There's a march that last a few hours and usually starts or ends at some stage where there are speeches. then those people mostly go home but a bunch of the more aggressive protestors stick around and start fires and throw stuff and the cops put up w/it for a while then tear gas etc and they disperse the crowd. that's generally how things go. not every time but often. 

Both of my parents asked me if i was OK and how are things here and all that and i had to assure them that everything on TV is one tiny part of downtown. 

• Like 4

Yeah it’s a wild portrayal. The vast majority of the protests in Portland are peaceful and happen during the day. This bizzaro world that gets portrayed across all forms of media is apparently nothing like what’s actually going on.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/feds-right-wing-media-paint-portland-as-city-under-siege-a-tour-of-town-shows-otherwise.html%3foutputType=amp

• Like 1

h99k12kmqyc51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

A wall of vets at the protest.. i mean VIOLENT ANARCHISTS at the protest last night.. 

lu7rm39yiyc51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

flol mcnaughton

L0BSbLl.jpg

looks like trump had a mental breakdown at some sports event and tried eating the flag while a whole stadium of stunned spectators look on in silence as trump lumbers away muttering to himself superlatives

Edited by azatoth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bendish said:
On 7/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, very honest said:

good podcast episode on the portland secret police:

Rational Security: The 'Not-So-Secret Police' Edition

Man these guys are soooo beltway uppity wasp. Less tight ass than Lawfare but nearly there - occasionally informative nonetheless.

hennessey is a nat sec legal professional, and wittes has been covering nat sec legal nuances for decades. all very insightful analysts. maybe white, not sure how anglo saxon or protestant. beltway? yeah, lawfare is brookings dc thinktank. uppity? they are uppity about real issues.

Edited by very honest

56 minutes ago, very honest said:

vladeck just argued cases at the supreme court, hennessey is a nat sec legal professional, and wittes has been covering nat sec legal nuances for decades. all very insightful analysts. maybe white, not sure how anglo saxon or protestant. beltway? yeah, lawfare is brookings dc thinktank. uppity? they are uppity about real issues.

I dont argue with their experience, just their hyper conventional blob stance is quite predictable. The deep state radio one and real clear politics also quite similar. As far as this genre of politics IR pod goes cfr and csis ones are my favourite. 

Edited by bendish

9 hours ago, very honest said:

on topic of paintings, here is the obama presidential portrait that trump is breaking tradition by not putting up

donnie's just waiting for that artifact to be reclaimed by the Kenyan government.

plus the darkish tones don't really mesh well with melania's all white christmas tree this year, which donnie and the boys will undoubtedly feast under with quarter pounders w/cheese and overcooked steaks with ketchup + diet cokes...