IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

9 minutes ago, ignatius said:

just didn't see this coming. lols. spitting lies for 4 years is like a boomerang 

At 1:10/the end of the video the cafe there advertises they sell “hot Asian buns”.

image.gif.a338c1ea46136846323633f90fe25f1f.gif

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 2

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

At 1:10/the end of the video the cafe there advertises they sell “hot Asian buns”.

image.gif.a338c1ea46136846323633f90fe25f1f.gif

At my last company, a bunch of the engineers would eat out at a place called Asian Box, which I thought was a little too on the nose.

17 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

Sources say this ban to be lifted in 15 minutes

i wonder if Big T is banned from The Melania?

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Braintree said:

At my last company, a bunch of the engineers would eat out at a place called Asian Box, which I thought was a little too on the nose.

Lolol what a great name for a restaurant 

7 minutes ago, Braintree said:

The way they chant like they're at a baseball game is a little more than unnerving.

American politics has been my team vs your team for a long time though. This polarization is one of the root causes of why you're at where you're at in terms of politics down there.

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

6 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

American politics has been my team vs your team for a long time though. This polarization is one of the root causes of why you're at where you're at in terms of politics down there.

whoa, i’m sure none of us here have thought about that, thanks for the insight there guy! you should have a tv show or write one of them books maybe.

• Burger 1

6 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Maybe, but you don't hear a whole lot of that from the Left at protests. To a certain extent, but it's not every single chant like from the Right. I figure that the Right has a demographic that overlaps more with sports.

3 minutes ago, auxien said:

whoa, i’m sure none of us here have thought about that, thanks for the insight there guy! you should have a tv show or write one of them books maybe.

Very welcome, buddy.

2 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Maybe, but you don't hear a whole lot of that from the Left at protests. To a certain extent, but it's not every single chant like from the Right. I figure that the Right has a demographic that overlaps more with sports.

Yeah that's a good possibility for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Thought of this as soon as I saw ignatius's post: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've said something along these lines a couple days ago, but it strikes me as even more unnerving how none of these people seem capable of the self-awareness needed to recognize (a) how inarticulate their leaders are, (b) how inarticulate they themselves are, and (c) just how generally dumb they all are. I mean, look around and listen, for Christ's sake. It would make me really worried that I'm backing the wrong horse if all I see when I look around at one of my rallies (I never go to rallies because they creep me out, but we're talking about a counterfactual conditional with an extremely improbable antecedent here) and all I see are people incapable of any sort of nuanced thought, who say really very confused things like that one guy from Jersey who witnessed the dumb navy girl get shot (the one who literally had blood on his hands and insisted, with no clear sense of why and for what purpose, something needed to be done). I mean, it would make me want to go home and start re-evaluating things, at the very least. I've actually been in this position before, and I think I've made major improvements in my life based on these moments of clarity. None of these people seem capable of that sort of self-reflection, though. And that is one of the few core reasons why I find it very hard to relate to these people. And we have good reason to think that there are so many more of these people than even this event lets on. 

• Like 5

My friend does waxing/lash extensions and related things.  Her client who came in this morning believes the white house storming consisted entirely of leftists trying to make the right look bad.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

27 minutes ago, apriorion said:

I've said something along these lines a couple days ago, but it strikes me as even more unnerving how none of these people seem capable of the self-awareness needed to recognize (a) how inarticulate their leaders are, (b) how inarticulate they themselves are, and (c) just how generally dumb they all are. I mean, look around and listen, for Christ's sake. It would make me really worried that I'm backing the wrong horse if all I see when I look around at one of my rallies (I never go to rallies because they creep me out, but we're talking about a counterfactual conditional with an extremely improbable antecedent here) and all I see are people incapable of any sort of nuanced thought, who say really very confused things like that one guy from Jersey who witnessed the dumb navy girl get shot (the one who literally had blood on his hands and insisted, with no clear sense of why and for what purpose, something needed to be done). I mean, it would make me want to go home and start re-evaluating things, at the very least. I've actually been in this position before, and I think I've made major improvements in my life based on these moments of clarity. None of these people seem capable of that sort of self-reflection, though. And that is one of the few core reasons why I find it very hard to relate to these people. And we have good reason to think that there are so many more of these people than even this event lets on. 

yeah well, unfortunately identifying incompetence is a cognitive skill in itself, dunning-kruger etc.

while being disgusted to the core i can't really blame these poor idiots or even trump himself, stupidity and mental illness won't die out anytime soon. the real scandal is the "grand old party" going along and letting all this happen, it's the actually clever ones who are apparently willing to do anything to cling to power and i can only hope this escalation will finally serve as a kind of litmus test. colbert is right in pointing the irony they would seek refuge from those protesters, it's their voter base after all...

fucking suit scum.

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My friend does waxing/lash extensions and related things.  Her client who came in this morning believes the white house storming consisted entirely of leftists trying to make the right look bad.

please, my face is hurting already from constant facepalming. DX

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

on a smoothie break i just saw a clip of 700 Club debunking the rumors that the people who stormed the capitol were antifa or a communist conspiracy. even showing photos of the people at past events and calling them out as Qanon and white nationalists. i hope all the olds are watching that shit and soaking it up. 

22 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

yeah well, unfortunately identifying incompetence is a cognitive skill in itself, dunning-kruger etc.

while being disgusted to the core i can't really blame these poor idiots or even trump himself, stupidity and mental illness won't die out anytime soon. the real scandal is the "grand old party" going along and letting all this happen, it's the actually clever ones who are apparently willing to do anything to cling to power and i can only hope this escalation will finally serve as a kind of litmus test. colbert is right in pointing the irony they would seek refuge from those protesters, it's their voter base after all...

fucking suit scum.

I understand this to some extent, but I must pause every time I find myself entertaining this line of thinking. Just to highlight the specific proposition we're discussing (the same one Colbert brought up the other day): 

(M) The individuals in the mob are not to blame in the Capital Riots on Wednesday, 6 January 2021. 

The reasoning behind this claim is 

(a) Leaders of the political party that individuals in (M) belong to manipulated those individuals into their own actions.

(b) If (a) is true, then (M) is true. 

I object to (b), primarily, although I do so with some serious hesitation. The primary reason for objecting to (b) is because we're supposed to belong to a sort of democracy. Granted, ours is a representative democracy, but it's still a sort of democracy, right? If so, then rule by the people means that the people need to take responsibility for their actions, which includes their behavior at protests, rallies, and even their voting results. The problem is, if (b) is true, then we absolve those individuals of their responsibility in much the same way that we absolve children of full culpability for their actions, even in some extreme cases (e.g., harming another child). 

As I said, I object with hesitation in part because I've thought a lot about Confucius's general paternalistic attitude toward common people, or the public at large. He says that political leaders must think of the public whom they serve as kind of like children, and it is therefore very important for political leaders to set good examples for their constituents. On the other hand, the problems for a functioning democracy when we take such an attitude are very clear, for the reasons I spelled out above. 

Therefore, if we take seriously that we live in a democracy (of any sort), Colbert was wrong to casually dismiss the significance of those people's roles in Wednesday's events. They are adults, and if democracy means that the people are steering the ship, then those people must be held accountable for their behavior. That said, I want to be very clear that I think the GOP leadership ought to be held accountable for their role in allowing five years of virtually unchecked incendiary rhetoric lead up to these events, and the general increases in hate crimes all around the country all throughout that time. 

I will stress, though, that I largely agree with you, as my post yesterday basically expressed the same disgust with the GOP leadership. I just had this slight quibble with Colbert when I heard him say that the other night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Yeah though I must stress Jello Biafra was the core of the band's ethos and views and they kicked him out via a lawsuit. The other guys were essentially a really talented session and touring band for him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

It only took 5 deaths.

And countless BIPOC people harassed and assaulted... plus a bunch of street vendors run down by maga asshats... oh yeah, and a few hundred thousand people that are dead because he downplayed the coronavirus... oh wait... they didn’t care about those things. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 6