IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

American politics has been my team vs your team for a long time though. This polarization is one of the root causes of why you're at where you're at in terms of politics down there.

its not polarization it's the masses of people advocating on their own behalf vs the reaction trying to suppress that.  what exactly are the policy positions that the magaers want and how do they affect those people?  its either reactionary racists who just want to hurt poor people or petty bouge fucks who want to hurt poor people.  it's not polarization, it's not two legitimate sides

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I just talked to my dad for the first time in a few days, brought up the capitol thing, and THE FIRST thing he said was that antifa infiltrated the mob and were the ones escalating the situation

(copied text  - idgaf formatting)

I regret to inform you that your pops is sheeple.

Seriously man, that is so frustrating. There's a few of that crowd in my extended family. Luckily none in the nuclear. One of my uncles used to surprise visit my folks place and just follow my mom around quietly ranting about how the Chinese are spying on us from Canada to steal our oil (and Trump is stopping it I'm sure) and Obama should never have been allowed on military bases because illegal Muslim something something. He isn't even some classic racist honkey, he's a Lithuanian immigrant that spent his entire life in the air force. What is it that makes people so eager to believe this kind of garbage? Just vanilla hate and fear? Or is there some Free Brain Smoothing groupon I didn't hear about? Unreal.

On the riots: I seriously can't get over the woman who was tear gassed (or maybe maced) and came back out literally crying, gets approached by the press and states that she "only made it one foot in and they MACED ME!" followed up by "We were just storming the capitol! It's a revolution!" :wtf::wtf::wtf:

5 hours ago, apriorion said:

I've said something along these lines a couple days ago, but it strikes me as even more unnerving how none of these people seem capable of the self-awareness needed to recognize (a) how inarticulate their leaders are, (b) how inarticulate they themselves are, and (c) just how generally dumb they all are. I mean, look around and listen, for Christ's sake. It would make me really worried that I'm backing the wrong horse if all I see when I look around at one of my rallies (I never go to rallies because they creep me out, but we're talking about a counterfactual conditional with an extremely improbable antecedent here) and all I see are people incapable of any sort of nuanced thought, who say really very confused things like that one guy from Jersey who witnessed the dumb navy girl get shot (the one who literally had blood on his hands and insisted, with no clear sense of why and for what purpose, something needed to be done). I mean, it would make me want to go home and start re-evaluating things, at the very least. I've actually been in this position before, and I think I've made major improvements in my life based on these moments of clarity. None of these people seem capable of that sort of self-reflection, though. And that is one of the few core reasons why I find it very hard to relate to these people. And we have good reason to think that there are so many more of these people than even this event lets on. 

I remember seeing a post on reddit of a study they did where they paired a chimp and a toddler growing up for a bit to see the effects it had on the chimp but had to cancel the study cause the toddler was becoming more like the chimp. I imagine it's a lot like that. You grow up surrounded with morons and become friends with morons your whole life, there's no chance of impreovement, and since that's all you know in life and it becomes cemented in to your existence, there's no reversing it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zooluus said:

I remember seeing a post on reddit of a study they did where they paired a chimp and a toddler growing up for a bit to see the effects it had on the chimp but had to cancel the study cause the toddler was becoming more like the chimp. I imagine it's a lot like that. You grow up surrounded with morons and become friends with morons your whole life, there's no chance of impreovement, and since that's all you know in life and it becomes cemented in to your existence, there's no reversing it.

A common saying I’ve heard recently is that you’re the average of the 5 people you surround yourself with most often. I guess that’s the same as “you are who you hang out with” or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

I just talked to my dad for the first time in a few days, brought up the capitol thing, and THE FIRST thing he said was that antifa infiltrated the mob and were the ones escalating the situation. 
(copied text  - idgaf formatting)

why would antifa try to interrupt the process of removing donald trump from office lol?? 

that theory just reeks of desperation.

13 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

anyone else considering moving into the woods and living a simple life of ignorance

if i became rich enough i would delete the internet. right now my income depends on it tho ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nikisoko said:
2 hours ago, usagi said:

also you SF mans better beware, there is a decent chance some shit might go down.

i think everyone is working from home?

The SOMA neighborhood is a ghost town. Most tech workers moved out of the city because they couldn't give a shit about it. They were just here for the job money. And yeah, no one works in an office right now. Given that we're in the purple, it's straight up illegal to work in the office.

1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

Watch out, that shit'll turn you into a libertarian

not to mention there's a better than 50/50 chance your neighbors will be Randy Weaver types. 

16 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I know how posting like this makes me look, and I want to see these fuckwads brought to justice as well, but I don't want people to throw away the idea of due process and proper criminal investigations conducted through legal measures.

So just posting that kind of material in a public forum is not illegal in and of itself, and if there were nothing further, law enforcement can not arrest these individuals.

This is an excellent point. I was watching Glenn Greenwalds twitter account yesterday and he did a hot take on this very issue. Fascinating! His main article is unfortunately behind a substack paywall but I think the gist of it is in some of his tweets yesterday. He mentioned in an interview a few weeks ago that democrats will most likely be going to use domestic terror rhetoric to shore up their power because their presidential win was fragile from the electoral college perspective and because they lost seats in congress and they need something to silence voters that they otherwise cannot persuade. That seemed like a strange point to make from such a respectable man but I think that these new federal powers could be a bad precedent because they would most likely become apolitical and be in place no matter who is in charge moving forward. I do not always agree with Glenn Greenwald but I respect him so much and he has the biggest balls such a good person and amazing journalist for helping to get Snowden stuff to the public in a responsible way.

14 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I wanna ejaculate onto his voluptuous pair of arse cheeks

pretty sure he only allows piss. but if you have the $$$ who knows?

Edited by ignatius
  • Burger 1

4 hours ago, mister miller said:

why would antifa try to interrupt the process of removing donald trump from office lol?? 

that theory just reeks of desperation.

I am honestly at the point where all these conspiracy theories are blowing my mind because of how absolutely delusional you have to be to believe them. I guess antifa dressed up those monuments with trump flags and hats. 

At this point... it's just so... disheartening to know that 30-40% of the country are this delusional and stupid. The past four years I kept thinking the delusion couldn't go any further and I am proven wrong again and again. Now we have tons of video evidence of Trump supporters, and facial recognition of white supremacists', and somehow it is actually antifa's doing.

I am so inwardly upset right now because I now think the USA is done. I don't see any way how it will get better in the future. I just want to disconnect from paying attention to politics and just try to ignore it as long as possible.

I feel very glass half empty about the future right now. I hope a more sane country takes USA's place on the world stage so our silly country can stop making the world bear our problems . America is too far gone for me at this point.

I think I need a vacation. Lol.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2