IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

9 minutes ago, Valleyfold said:

That's how I see the dems, and that's how many dems see their party establishment. I don't understand the impulse to delay criticism. When exactly does the time to be critical come?

Hmmm. Consider the following. 

Your sibling was assaulted a few days ago. Currently the people responsible are looking for them, threatening them; they're terrified, but not powerless, and trying to figure out what to do. Is today a good day to be critical of their various vague foibles, poor financial skills, and/or their previous broken promises? 

There has been, and will be, plenty of time to criticize "the dems." This isn't really the moment. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, luke viia said:

Hmmm. Consider the following. 

Your sibling was assaulted a few days ago. Currently the people responsible are looking for them, threatening them; they're terrified, but not powerless, and trying to figure out what to do. Is today a good day to be critical of their various vague foibles, poor financial skills, and/or their previous broken promises? 

There has been, and will be, plenty of time to criticize "the dems." This isn't really the moment. 

Bit of a false equivalency there. His hypothetical sibling isn't a party of people that are rich and powerful and have been complicit in the undermining of freedom for decades.

• Like 1

You're right that there are times when it's not advantageous to you to release certain stories in certain particular times, but in general those instances are quite rare. Assange, for example, should have kept his mouth shut in the 2016 election. This isn't the same instance though.

4 minutes ago, luke viia said:

Dunno, all times are the right times to criticise the Dems whose foreign policies are roughly as murderous as those of the Republicans, all things considered. Your logic that you can't criticise one party because the other one is even worse escapes me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

He's done some very valuable work, there's no denying that. He seems to have huffed a few too many of his own farts though.

yeah for sure. i also think "shill" is really not an appropriate word for gg and i would say being at odds with the "journalism community" is really not a bad thing lol. but yes, he's intoxicated by his farts there is no denying.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valleyfold said:

That's how I see the dems, and that's how many dems see their party establishment. I don't understand the impulse to delay criticism. When exactly does the time to be critical come?

alright man well i appreciate you bearing with me, i can get a little intense. it sounds like you are coming from a different info stream than i am. i think we can both agree that we should vary our information sources. this is the best way to learn about spins, comparison.

here's a media bias chart. it may not be perfect but this is one effort at measuring and presenting journalism spins. you can search for other media bias charts, if you want. i would say that the vertical dimension is more important to note than the horizontal one. fact reporting is the core of journalism. you should be aware of which outlets focus more on opinion pieces than fact-reporting.

5db5b47c47b97.image.jpg?resize=1200,909

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Dunno, all times are the right times to criticise the Dems whose foreign policies are roughly as murderous as those of the Republicans, all things considered. Your logic that you can't criticise one party because the other one is even worse escapes me.

Hmm, not what I intended to say. You can certainly criticize them both; I do it all the time. The point I was hoping to make was in response to a temporal question. I suppose it's just a strange thing to focus on right now. I am not loyal to the democrats, but I do try to prioritize threats. 

1 minute ago, luke viia said:

fucking phone lol what is this omg stahp

Edited by luke viia

MMMph. I was listening to a program a few months ago and a commentator was talking about people's engagement with politics and he observed that, for many people, they aren't actually engaged in politics. Rather, most Americans seem to treat politics as if it is a sport. People have their "team" that they root for, they get together with other fans and repeat the talking points of the sports(news)caster from their favorite network. They cheer their candidates on, they boo their opponents. Everyone on the opposite team is just the worst, worthy of being hated, ridiculed, etc. In extending this metaphor you might even say that if your opposing team scored a touchdown that it's a terrible, horrible thing - the same is true of a victory on policy in politics (it seems like even if the opposing political party somehow passed a bill to bring food to every starving child in the world through benevolent magic, the immediate reaction would be outcry, suspicion and a denunciation of the (insert political party name here)'s use of non-sanctioned dark arts to do the will of the dark underlord Chtulu. 

I'm fairly strong leaning in my political beliefs but think what I find sad is that, on both sides of the aisle, there is a vociferous, reactionary bent that informs almost all discussions on politics, to the point where it is almost impossible to have any rationale discourse on any political topic. The belief in each side being right and, furthermore, each side having a handle on the "truth" is hard to overcome. People have said we live in "post truth, post fact" times and, unfortunately, this seems to be accurate. If you can say to me that you have 10 sources you believe to be true that masks make your more susceptible to the COVID-19 coronovirus and I tell  you I have 10 sources that I believe to be true that says it is not, and neither one of us is willing to question whether or not our sources are valid then we are at a standstill. Furthermore, if neither of us are willing to question our core beliefs at all, then any discussion is not a discussion: it is an argument to be won or lost. 

I think what's probably the one truth we can all agree on is this: we are a deeply divided nation, with people on both sides that are suffering greatly. We have people that are every color who are poor, unhealthy, and in need of help. 

It is my sincere wish that, no matter who is in political office, those who are there will fulfill the duties of their office: to serve in the best interest of the people. Not to rule, but to serve. 

I know this is farfetched. Perhaps we are just too broken as a people for there to be common ground to be found. I sincerely hope this is not the case, because if we continue down this path, it will only result in continued fear, anger, hatred, and violence. 

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

50 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I think what's probably the one truth we can all agree on is this: we are a deeply divided nation, with people on both sides that are suffering greatly. We have people that are every color who are poor, unhealthy, and in need of help. 

This post is too generous to one side.  It's pretty clear that only one side has any actual legitimacy

Edited by cyanobacteria

33 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I know this is farfetched. Perhaps we are just too broken as a people for there to be common ground to be found. I sincerely hope this is not the case, because if we continue down this path, it will only result in continued fear, anger, hatred, and violence.

As far as I see it, the divide is manufactured (aka what was once marginalized is fueled and then exploited). The social architects have a wide smile on their face. People are able to coexist peacefully as long as you don't mention the war (politics). With social media shit is off the rails. It's a mind game, and the crowd loses its capacity for critical thinking proportionally to its size. As for the sport team rooting analogy, that's nothing new. It's all across the world in every country. The backdoor to this mass hysteria is the fact that none of the grown up white or blue collar workers really know what's going on; from his/her own life to domestic and global politics. All this confusion, broken dreams and promises and fear of unknown is teeming with desire for plausible answers. The backdoor: You can provide any "solution" to these questions and once it gets traction, all that existential angst is released. The larger the issue the more critical mass you acquire, and the more critical mass you acquire, the easier it is to manipulate.

To what an end? Distribution of power. Behind a curtain new domestic and foreign policies are being ratified for a yet larger picture: USA is under threat. The Arsenal of Democracy (Roosevelt) is under threat, being outflanked by economic and technological rise of China. They already succeeded in stemming European Union (Brexit).

As George Friedman once said:
1. Control the seas leading to North America
2. Prevent the rise of any power that could challenge that control. Namely any power that tries to unify Eurasia or East Asia.

I think Trump got played like a violin. He never knew what he was doing, and he was put into place with a precise reason. Now the stage is a mess, and be observant how the pieces will be put back together.

• Like 2

I think that the narrative about the left behind lower classes that are disappointed with the establishment being the true reason for the right-shift is false. It's more a luxury problem. People don't know how politics work and what they have to lose. Poor education and a mostly privately owned media landscape do the rest. Moreover, the subtle mood of epochal change that is in the air makes people act weird. I know it well ?

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

Furthermore, if neither of us are willing to question our core beliefs at all, then any discussion is not a discussion: it is an argument to be won or lost. 

It indeed is a problem when one side has absolutely idiotic core beliefs and the other one pretty reasonable ones.

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

Fuck it, doesn't matter. The story is set, whether or not he did tase himself in the balls is immaterial, he will forever be known as the guy who tased himself in the balls.

Cos it's funny.

• Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 1

imo a big part of all we've seen over the last year is covid putting everyone into a liminal headspace. that "i have no idea what could happen next!" feeling does something to yer brain after a while. it isn't just a matter of people getting rily from being cooped up in their houses for months. rather, it's this very real sense of having been violently thrust back into the slipstream of history. the world has been de-francis fukuyama'd. There's no longer a sense of anything being a given. Signifiers have become fluid. Nations could fall. The entire global order feels like it could shit to something entirely different in the next decade or two. Who knows.

So basically a lot of stuff that even a year ago mighta just been things a person would kick around in their head but not act upon, has now become a real possibility to potentially act upon. Everything's on the table, so to speak. And judging by the first 10 days of 2021, the process isn't slowing down.

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

Kinda bullshit though that these corporations can sponsor people and platforms that whipped everyone into a frenzy to the point of civil war and are now like “oh shit. My bad.” And pulling funding and endorsements etc

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Upset man said:

Kinda bullshit though that these corporations can sponsor people and platforms that whipped everyone into a frenzy to the point of civil war and are now like “oh shit. My bad.” And pulling funding and endorsements etc

Probably without any kind of real consequence to themselves, I mean. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zooluus said:

just imagine what kinda dope album boc is cooking up in the lab right now, we all know what happened after 9/11

I kinda believe them when they said they’re just sorta nihilistic about stuff now so I doubt that’s coming

Erfu9abVcAE-koy?format=jpg&name=900x900

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick announced Monday night that he will not accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom, saying “remaining true to the people, team and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.”

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-nfl-super-bowl-new-england-patriots-football-499f31a9f5497a9ce6a5f5bfb095ca27

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Burger 1