IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

It's not identity politics or political correctness, you can't in one moment say that slurs against certain races are bad, but that slurs against groups of people who are not neurotypical are okay because they don't have historical baggage, because if you perpetuate that idea forward long enough guess what, the new slurs will develop historical baggage.  You have to be smarter than that

that part's fair, however you underestimate why racial slurs typically have so much more baggage than any other kind: there is usually a long, violent history (pogroms, lynchings) of systematic oppression behind them that is immediately conjured up and thrown in the person's face whenever the word's used. it's the blood that's been spilled which makes it a tad more serious than calling someone an autist on the internet.

1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

I think you posted the wrong link. unless you're trying to convince me David Blaine has been unfairly discriminated against his whole life.

brilliant? i mean, it's common sense. most of the criticism i've seen of the debates was exactly what Bernie said. 

oh, we're using brilliant like Ridley Scott would use it. brilliant! 

:cerious:

22 minutes ago, auxien said:

brilliant? i mean, it's common sense. most of the criticism i've seen of the debates was exactly what Bernie said. 

oh, we're using brilliant like Ridley Scott would use it. brilliant! 

:cerious:

Ah well, I honestly didn't know that was the general consensus in the US because from a foreigners point of view it's a fucking circus. I just liked the fact that it was the first thing he said. 

35 minutes ago, auxien said:

epic.

the first thing you said after stumbling in, brilliant.

:tongue:

Hahaha, well, I was just excited to see him on the Joe Rogan podcast. I hadn’t even watched it at that point. 

8 hours ago, usagi said:

that part's fair, however you underestimate why racial slurs typically have so much more baggage than any other kind: there is usually a long, violent history (pogroms, lynchings) of systematic oppression behind them that is immediately conjured up and thrown in the person's face whenever the word's used. it's the blood that's been spilled which makes it a tad more serious than calling someone an autist on the internet.

I think you posted the wrong link. unless you're trying to convince me David Blaine has been unfairly discriminated against his whole life.

It's definitely the right link, evidently you didn't read it.  And aren't you aware of what happened to people with various mental abnormalities in the holocaust? To deny the long history of discrimination against non-neurotypical people is historically ignorant, I'm going to guess you're posting in bad faith at this point

regarding mental illness in america.. i think it's very typical to see how the conversation is centered around protecting other people from mass shooters or people who will become violent instead of actually helping people with mental illness live better lives and be part of society. it's fucking unsurprising that no one is really talking about in the media how people with mental illness are largely not considered beyond making them convenient for the masses should they be encountered in any way. 

i'm patiently waiting for someone in the media or in an interview to mention that maybe we should focus on mental health for the betterment of the people who actually have mental illness and are suffering. sure, several mental health advocates have brought up that the vast majority of people suffering w/mental health issues are not violent in any way and often are barely motivated to leave the house and be part of society in any way. 

the whole mental health discussion in relation to mass shootings is missing the fucking point and typical of america in so many ways. 

• Thanks 1

is the shitty ass sweat picture real or just fantasy deepfakenewsfake? 

actually.. i don't really care. i choose to think it's possible. 

I don't want to turn this into what has become my usual thing lately (apparently), but I really wonder about the likelihood of our ever going back, of things really getting better, of people fixing their problems, of America's chances of redeeming itself. From what I feel like I see (I realize the hedginess of that hedge), given my admittedly anecdotal experiences, the racists are only emboldened, but the smarter ones know how to find the line and tow it just so. Everyone's really worried about Trump or Mass Shooter #259 or whatever, but those aren't the real problems, now are they? It's annoying to have some pedant come along and remind us all that these are symptoms and not the underlying disease, but again, how likely is it that things are going to get better? Trump: he's just the beginning. And as for the television's so-called plan... Oh, right. Just elect Bernie, and the kiddos will all get free college. Despite how much I'd love to see Bernie take office (setting aside my qualms with his general outlook regarding higher education), I doubt in my heart, when I'm sober, that he'll be elected. I used to think that the racist types were all just going to die out, that younger generations raised on Sesame Street would all be more enlightened, but I now see young men and women entering college who are fairly unashamed in their sporting of the MAGA hat, or in denouncing abortion as murder, or even entertaining ideas of racial superiority. I'm not kidding. It's really shocking to me, but maybe I've just always been gullible and naive, even more so when I convinced myself that I had shaken off that childish weakness. 

For more despair, please visit my thread on the Apocalypse. (Are shameless plugs like this acceptable? I haven't seen anyone else do this.) 

I'm serious about wanting these thoughts to be added to this thread on "Now that Trump's president", by the way. 

Thanks, all. 

32 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Sounds like a propaganda robot in the shape of Jon Voight.

there's some redundancy in this, I feel like he checked out in the early 00s

These may not be connected, but it's interesting to think about how shootings have risen as the economic wealth of the middle class has disappeared. I tend to think of social issues first and foremost as economic issues. Having to share less wealth in the middle and bottom classes causes tension in many facets of life, especially in America.

There are many ways you can get a racist, but they can't use the "they're taking our jobs!" argument if there is a strong and diverse economy.

11 hours ago, usagi said:

I don't get your comparison, being gay is not a mental problem you need to address before it eats you up, whereas you do become responsible for continuing to indulge in your "neurotic" (how about that instead) behaviour at some point when you are being called out for it and just double down on it further. not sure exactly what the gay/ghey thing is you're referring to but ok, maybe autist vs autistic is a bit weaselly.

You're trying to compare gay in the literal sense to the unsavory types you refer to as autists. I meant the recent past when gay seemed to be synonymous with lame and people were calling each other retarded and mongoloids as insults all day long. We still kind of do that I guess, but I see a lot less of it. I think it has something to do with our interconnectedness mentioned earlier, but we don't need to dwell on the reasons.

So, anyway, (gay people : using gay to mean anything you don't like) = (people with ASD : using autist to mean a shitty individual) = (people with Down syndrome : calling your little brother a mongoloid because he overwrote your save game), and so on.

It's not that it's upsetting to me, for the most part it only makes those who do it seem a bit dumb and careless. I've cringed once too often at my own contributions to some old discussions getting bumped here. Only responded to you because you seemed semi-serious about it, whereas I guess most are just having their idea of fun and would spend zero time or energy on trying to justify their behavior.

P.S. The misspelling ghey was some kind of stillborn attempt at a guilt-free version of the old colloquial 'lame' gay as you had probably guessed.

6 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

It's definitely the right link, evidently you didn't read it.  And aren't you aware of what happened to people with various mental abnormalities in the holocaust? To deny the long history of discrimination against non-neurotypical people is historically ignorant, I'm going to guess you're posting in bad faith at this point

you guess wrong buddy, or I wouldn't have been so cheesily forthright with you instead of taking the piss with your nuttier posts as you must be used to by now. and that link definitely pointed to this before you changed it or something, I clicked it like three times thinking I was missing something. quit looking for a way to weasel out of addressing the problem.

2 hours ago, usagi said:

you guess wrong buddy, or I wouldn't have been so cheesily forthright with you instead of taking the piss with your nuttier posts as you must be used to by now. and that link definitely pointed to this before you changed it or something, I clicked it like three times thinking I was missing something. quit looking for a way to weasel out of addressing the problem.

I didn't edit the link, it could be that wikipedia bug with parentheses where it ignores the parentheses part of the URL