IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Also, the impending NK confrontation makes me a little queasy I gotta  say.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/09/us-navy-strike-group-north-korea-peninsula-syria-missile-strike

(this is real-ish news, right?)

China playing the Trump admin.

Also, Greenwald is on point: The Spoils of War

Although, I will take some slight issue with his point about the Russia connection. While the idea that the White House is controlled by Russia is clearly nonsense, I would wager there is a strong connection between the two administrations, mostly down to Senor Trump's desire to do mucho business in Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/09/us-navy-strike-group-north-korea-peninsula-syria-missile-strike

what do you mean by that?

what do you mean by that?

Somewhat related -

'Several U.S. commentators have been impressed by the “strength” demonstrated by the strikes in Syria — and the implicit messaging that, hey, we might just get a little crazy with North Korea next. But I doubt that’s how Beijing reads things. China is perfectly well aware of the military might and global reach of the United States; it’s not like they can’t count aircraft carriers.What it’s continually and pleasantly surprised by is how stupidly the United States uses that strength. For Xi, the strikes might have been a sign of disrespect — but they were also a reminder of the fundamental dumbness, from a Chinese strategic perspective, of U.S. foreign-policy decisions.' 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/07/what-trump-calls-strength-china-calls-stupidity-xi-jinping-summit-syria-strikes/

I mean China is playing the Trump admin for fools. Tillerson has no experience in international relations, probably knows fuck all about China and their history, and understands less about their strategic culture than a first year STEM major.

Sorry for my ignorance, I mean to what end are they playing the Trump admin?

The article seems to suggest that they have no problem with the deployment of warships to the region and are acknowledging that military intervention may occur, and seem to  be ok with it, because they admit they “do not believe the conditions are right today to engage in discussions with the government in Pyongyang” < seems to suggest China agrees diplomacy is not the go forward method to use.

I'm probably reading that wrong, I'm just trying to understand what you think China's angle is because I have no idea myself.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

If you think for a second that China sincerely would be ok with military intervention in NK, then they're playing you.

I almost guarantee they'll use the warships in the western pacific to increase their military presence in the South China Seas, which is a bigger end game for China. They're not worried about military intervention in NK because no president is going to risk turning SK and Japan into a mass casualty ward.

I don't think anything, it's why I'm asking a smart man such as yourself questions so that I can better understand the situation.

lol

But what you've said here makes sense, guess we can only wait and see what happens. =/

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

they deploy rattle shake all the time, a deployment of a carrier isn't that big of a deal, in fact that's the entire mission purpose of US forces in ROK to deter North Korea.

hell the only forward deployed carrier is in Japan, the US 7th fleet has been a defense force in Asia for decades

I was even Okinawa as a kid in the mid-90s when they were finding DPRK agents showing up in mini-subs on the coast. there have been Americans killed, planes shot down, ships captured, etc over the last 50+ years. ROK and DPRK have skirmished off/on over the years. we're in a particularly tense time, sure, but this sadly isn't out of the ordinary

I would say the stakes are just higher because we have two volatile heads of state and the DPRK is lobbing more missles than ever, but militarily this isn't anything unusual in terms of forces deployed