IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

student-teacher arguments to now be settled by a good old-fashioned shootout.

I made almost the exact same joke earlier today.

It would be wonderful to see typical educators photoshopped into spaghetti Western duals and other dangerous gun brandishing situations.

I'll see you... *gun reload*... at detention.

yep.  that's what i imagined. i can't imagine some of the teachers i had w/guns. so many years they get burned out and they get pretty edgy some times. 

^The photo is from 2015

List of post-election Donald Trump rallies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-election_Donald_Trump_rallies

President Trump Went Way Off Script and Turned His CPAC Speech into a Campaign Rally

http://time.com/5172792/donald-trump-cpac-speech-campaign/

...apparently it wasn't just the FBI that got a tip that Cruz was threatening to shoot up his school, the local sheriff dept got at least two reports over the last year or so, as well as multiple run ins with the kid previously that would suggest his escalating violent tendencies. It's almost as if we can have warning signs and all the right people in place to catch someone about to do this and yet it doesn't get stopped...

How do you catch someone about to do something?

...apparently it wasn't just the FBI that got a tip that Cruz was threatening to shoot up his school, the local sheriff dept got at least two reports over the last year or so, as well as multiple run ins with the kid previously that would suggest his escalating violent tendencies. It's almost as if we can have warning signs and all the right people in place to catch someone about to do this and yet it doesn't get stopped...

minority-report.jpg

Well I mean when he was literally telling people "I'm going to become a school shooter" so that's sort of the case here. That's obviously not always an option in these situations, but it sure was this time.

Well I mean when he was literally telling people "I'm going to become a school shooter" so that's sort of the case here. That's obviously not always an option in these situations, but it sure was this time.

Is it illegal to say these kinds of things?

Btw I fully agree on making it harder to get these types of weapons.

Yes it's illegal to say you have intent to commit a serious crime. It's called uttering threats. He should have been arrested at "I'm going to become a professional school shooter". It's illegal to say that, yes, especially when you consider he had the capacity (weapons etc) to do so. In contrast, if a 5 year old with no guns said the same thing, he wouldn't be criminally liable.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your question? =/

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I don't know. Nor did I say it was so...? Edited by auxien

I don't know.

Yes you do.

Here's Canada's - http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-264.1.html

The US is a bit trickier, but in general death threats are punishable by federal law as long as they're credible, IE the person threatening has the capacity to do so. I think they're referred to as "true threats", IE there is a reasonable degree of likelihood that the person threatening could carry out that threat.

I'm not a lawyerologist though, I just think it's pretty clear cut that Cruz should have been arrested as soon as he said he was going to be a professional school shooter as there was an obvious likelihood and capacity that he would do as promised.

edit edit: Chen I know you know this so I feel like I'm being setup to be wrong here. What'd I do? =(

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I don't know.

Yes you do.

Here's Canada's - http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-264.1.html

The US is a bit trickier, but in general death threats are punishable by federal law as long as they're credible, IE the person threatening has the capacity to do so. I think they're referred to as "true threats", IE there is a reasonable degree of likelihood that the person threatening could carry out that threat.

I'm not a lawyerologist though, I just think it's pretty clear cut that Cruz should have been arrested as soon as he said he was going to be a professional school shooter as there was an obvious likelihood and capacity that he would do as promised.

edit edit: Chen I know you know this so I feel like I'm being setup to be wrong here. What'd I do? =(

Look very carefully at 264.1 (1) (a) and (b)

There has to be a threat to a specific person or property (or an ascertained group of people), not just a vague assertion that the person is going to do something.

The context of the threat also has to be considered. As in does the person intend for the threat to be taken seriously.

For example:

http://canlii.ca/t/1fshr

Very specific group of people, and the threat was meant to intimidate or be taken seriously.

Yeah Bulky I do know to some extent :) ...just trying to figure out what the fuck chen is getting at with his vague shit.

What I'm getting at is that you can't arrest people for saying vague shit like "I'm going to become a school shooter".

So at this point (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43071710) he could not have been arrested (at least in Canada).

However, at this point, (https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/school-shooter-gun-threats-first-host-family-told-police-invs/index.html) he possibly could have been arrested.

I'm just trying to point out that people often say things like "oh that guy was on a watch list, how did he commit a terrorist act?" or, "the police had been warned, how could they let him get away with it". But simply being on a watch list isn't illegal. Likewise simply being warned isn't necessarily enough to arrest someone.

Also police don't have the resources to watch a specific person 24/7 for days and months on end. Nor should they - unless we want to start living in a police state.

Update: Having read more news reports on this - it appears authorities were tipped multiple times, so definitely at the very least an investigation should have occurred (and it looks like he was a serious threat). So I apologize for coming off as vague, but I was going off the phrase "I going to become a school shooter", and not all the other background.

Also, it appears that there was not just one deputy, but four of them, waiting outside the school with pistols drawn while the guy walked around shooting and killing.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/24/17048720/florida-shooting-law-enforcement-gun

Also it looks like a lot of companies are severing ties with the NRA:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/24/17048500/nra-florida-shooting-companies-boycott

And finally, it appears the NRA is advocating for some sort of religious law to supersede the US constitution:

This is a rare instance where the shooter didn't either kill himself or get shot by police, so I'm curious to see if there's any kind of insight that can be gleaned from a psychiatric evaluation of this guy... probably not.  But my morbid curiosity is piqued regardless.  It is sad that if a person wants guaranteed recognition, shooting up a school is the most probable way to get it.  Hmmmmmm... maybe there should be some kind of law against releasing the identity of mass murderers?  That seems like it would be a greater deterrent than anything else.  If someone with that sort of mindset knew that their effort would not even register with society at large, they'd be a lot less inclined to follow through with it.  Knowing that they will live on in notoriety by committing such an act must be a pretty big motivator.

This is a rare instance where the shooter didn't either kill himself or get shot by police, so I'm curious to see if there's any kind of insight that can be gleaned from a psychiatric evaluation of this guy... probably not.  But my morbid curiosity is piqued regardless.  It is sad that if a person wants guaranteed recognition, shooting up a school is the most probable way to get it.  Hmmmmmm... maybe there should be some kind of law against releasing the identity of mass murderers?  That seems like it would be a greater deterrent than anything else.  If someone with that sort of mindset knew that their effort would not even register with society at large, they'd be a lot less inclined to follow through with it.  Knowing that they will live on in notoriety by committing such an act must be a pretty big motivator.

This has been rightly called for many times....and it seemed over the last few years that the media in general was trying to adhere to the 'not glorify/acknowledge the shooter' as much as they could manage to, but it didn't last. People really do want to know this stuff and will hunt out the info if its not plastered on CNN headlines and so CNN loses viewers/clicks...so now we're right back where we were. (CNN is just an example here obv, it's all media sources in my experience)

To put something like that into law could be done. I don't think it will though, because of what I said a couple sentences ago. Would be best for everyone though, I agree, though I tend towards the 'let's just all agree not to glorify the perpetrator' rather than having it be a law.

edit: I agree that it is interesting that he didn't off himself/get shot, and that terrible part of myself wants to learn more as well.

What I'm getting at is that you can't arrest people for saying vague shit like "I'm going to become a school shooter".

I didn't say that they should've arrested him. I don't think anyone did. Could they have? Probably. Akin to shouting fire in a crowded movie theater or saying you're going to assassinate a public figure...your free speech doesn't extend that far.

I'm 100% against a police state as well, btw. Nevertheless I realize that there are reasons we all subscribe to the idea of having authorities like the police/etc. in place to protect the greater good (cut to Hot Fuzz clip) and so that's where the many warning signs they were given about the shooter come in to play. He likely should've been brought in for mental health counseling at a facility for at least a short amount of time, if not longer. That, as well as temporarily restricting his access to weapons he could likely use to commit such a crime should've happened immediately as well, but as far as I know there's nothing in place for that sort of thing to occur.

Again, I'm 100% against a police state, but if someone says 'hey, I'm going to kill someone with this gun I own' and that person is capable of doing so, maybe they need some mental help and also maybe not have access to those weapons for a while? For the greater good.

Update: Having read more news reports on this - it appears authorities were tipped multiple times, so definitely at the very least an investigation should have occurred (and it looks like he was a serious threat). So I apologize for coming off as vague, but I was going off the phrase "I going to become a school shooter", and not all the other background.

Also, it appears that there was not just one deputy, but four of them, waiting outside the school with pistols drawn while the guy walked around shooting and killing.

https://www.vox.com/...enforcement-gun

Also it looks like a lot of companies are severing ties with the NRA:

https://www.vox.com/...mpanies-boycott

And finally, it appears the NRA is advocating for some sort of religious law to supersede the US constitution:

Yeah, I figured you were using this as a jumping off point for the other stuff (which I generally agree with btw), and assumed most here had already read plenty about the shooter/situation so I didn't link any of the info I referenced originally. Laziness on my part there.

The NRA thing is funny in a few ways...most directly so in that the fucking Lapierre speech (did I post something about that in this thread or another? can't remember) was like a political party stump speech more than anything. It was very much cut from the recent Trumpian/Republican/Tea Party type speeches, grandiose and ridiculous and invoking all the right trigger words. I don't know how anyone can hear that sort of shit and not realize they're being played hard (this very much happens on the left too, of course, just not usually as blatantly). I honestly would not be surprised if the NRA 'started' a political party tomorrow, or went in full with a more established one (Tea Party, Libertarians, ...?). Even the Republicans seem to be getting nervous with them right now.

But also interesting that the NRA had that many partnership programs and such anyway, that's really surprising to me. It shows how ingrained into that world NRA activists/contributors/fanboys are, getting credit cards with NRA logo emblazoned on it. Fucking weird. But that's American gun culture.

Edited by auxien