IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

What I don't understand is why people in the US aren't rioting in the streets.

Because we'll get accused of violence by a bunch of precious white man-babies with MAGA hats if we do. And get labeled Soros-backed Antifa conspirators on top of that.

But in reality law enforcement are doing their job in apprehending these extremist MAGA nutjobs. So I still have faith.

there have been a number of large protests. but what do protests accomplish? the perception of protests needs to be adjusted. it's not the 1800's anymore. there are better ways to get together and organize for change than a big dumb bull's eye mob

we need to preserve the ability to have protests, but they are more symbolic and risky than they are useful, now. it's a lot of wasted energy. if 100,000 people are on the national mall for a day, that's 100,000 motivated people being unproductive for an entire day. imagine 100,000 people spending the day engaging with voters from the other side, instead of waiting in line to pee in a homogeneous mass. it looks more like tailgating than political progress.

Edited by very honest

can you imagine the level of outrage and shock if the events we've seen in the past week were by leftists / pro dems? FBI would be kicking in doors. CNN would be labelled a terrorist organisation. but when it's someone who is created as a direct result of the divisive and hateful rhetoric that trump etc promote, for some reason they're treated as completely isolated from the ideologies that drive them. trump is responsible for these actions and he needs to be held accountable. fox need to be held accountable. every single republican fuckhead who talks as if it's the end of days and 'we need to fight back' and 'our country is being taken over' they have blood on their hands. fuck these morons, if you're going to have strong ass crazy fuck opinions that put a fire under the pot and set people off you need to be held accountable. you need to have facts to back up what you're saying. you need to be willing to engage in debates with others in order for you to explain your views using evidence, not empty rhetoric that relies on 'muh constitution' and 'muh religion'. you don't get to steamroll over others and act like your emotional beliefs have a factual basis that takes priority over the well-being of others. if you want to go on about 'marxists are ruining the country' come to the fucking table and let's discuss where the real problems in the US are. i bet pretty quickly we'd be able to prove that republicans are the #1 cause of most of america's ills using plenty of historical evidence that 99% of trump fans wouldn't even know about. fucking cowards are too scared to try this because they know there's no actual evidence to back up their beliefs, just pure hatred and selfishness that they use as a shield because they're afraid of fucking everything.

agree.

sidenote tho: don't you live in australia?

from the front page, just a reminder of how things have always been this disturbing even back in January of 2016 and they keep getting worse.  If there is no blue wave and if Trump gets reelected I'm going to commit sudoku

Fucking hell, I forgot about that video. Equal parts cringe mega-fake-pride and creepy. 

Like those kids are of an age to even formulate an opinion on complex politics. Brainwash em' young I guess.

shit, is this the states or north korea???

sidenote tho: don't you live in australia?

3/4 of this thread is people not from America. It's a bit weird tbh, been noticing it in particular this last page. I understand very well that the US isn't just some other country and we have an outsized influence and effect in many ways (directly and indirectly) all around the world, but at the same time 95% of what foreigners are ranting about ITT has absolutely zero to do with foreign relations or anything happening outside US borders. Hell, 80% of what everyone gets so up in arms about with Trump turns out to be nothing one way or another. He's doing real damage in ways, yes, but also that damage is mostly or entirely within our borders. The bleed of its news into every crevice of the world says way more about the current internet/media orgy happening than it does about Trump or America.

I'm not trying to downplay Trump's shittiness or tell everyone who's not American to gtfo by any means, but maybe just...I dunno, recognize where and how and try to grasp why you're getting this constant stream of Trump news, and maybe turn off some of those firehoses. For your own sakes, people. If for no other reason than clicking those stories and videos constantly just feeds back into it and gets Trump's little mushroom cock hard as fuck. He loves the attention more than anything. 

My personal hope is that as his 'ratings' and attention start to wane (if that ever really happens) he'll start to say more and more outlandish things and EVENTUALLY something he does or says will be over some line and he'll get impeached or be forced to resign (or at least harm his brand enough that he won't get reelected). That's a fucking pipe dream, I know, he's impervious to that shit it seems, but nonetheless, maybe just don't click on that next Trump story you see. For me.

nobody has lost their way...its always been fucking awful...

this. 

Ann Coulter says the US should invade Mexico.

Nothing that idiot says should ever be clicked on or acknowledged in any way, ever.

Why does it bother you when foreigners talk about Trump? His policy does have a significant effect on the rest of the world and even if it didn't there is nothing wrong with discussing things that don't have a direct and immediate impact on one's own life. Also Trumps effect on foreign relations isn't only the things that are immediately visible, he pushes a general right shift trend in the whole world even by things that on first sight look as if they only concern the US. Why wouldn't also people who don't live in the US talk about it?

can you imagine the level of outrage and shock if the events we've seen in the past week were by leftists / pro dems? FBI would be kicking in doors. CNN would be labelled a terrorist organisation. but when it's someone who is created as a direct result of the divisive and hateful rhetoric that trump etc promote, for some reason they're treated as completely isolated from the ideologies that drive them. trump is responsible for these actions and he needs to be held accountable. fox need to be held accountable. every single republican fuckhead who talks as if it's the end of days and 'we need to fight back' and 'our country is being taken over' they have blood on their hands. fuck these morons, if you're going to have strong ass crazy fuck opinions that put a fire under the pot and set people off you need to be held accountable. you need to have facts to back up what you're saying. you need to be willing to engage in debates with others in order for you to explain your views using evidence, not empty rhetoric that relies on 'muh constitution' and 'muh religion'. you don't get to steamroll over others and act like your emotional beliefs have a factual basis that takes priority over the well-being of others. if you want to go on about 'marxists are ruining the country' come to the fucking table and let's discuss where the real problems in the US are. i bet pretty quickly we'd be able to prove that republicans are the #1 cause of most of america's ills using plenty of historical evidence that 99% of trump fans wouldn't even know about. fucking cowards are too scared to try this because they know there's no actual evidence to back up their beliefs, just pure hatred and selfishness that they use as a shield because they're afraid of fucking everything.

agree.

david cross noted this awhile back, you actually start to enlighten them or make progress in discussion and they simply ramp up the angry defensive rhetoric: they are far too proud, arrogant, and cowardly to admit any kind of mistakes in their logic, acknowledging good ideas from differing ideologies, or even a hint that they might be wrong about something.

The post-Obama Tea Party shit is what awakened it and, I say this from personal experience with many who subscribe to this right-wing rhetoric, it reflect delusions and projected frustration from people who are projecting their own personal failings and fears onto the citizens trying to better their own lives: immigrants, discriminated minorities, young progressives, the LGBT community, secular humanists and atheists, and now even moderate conservatives and establishment politicians. If there's one unifying theme to this self-centered, delusional, pathetic bubble of ire that is the Trump base it's this absolute lack of standing for any positive ideological point: they're ANTI-everything, they espouse whataboutism in lieu of constructing a coherent independent thought, they spew doublespeak and embrace gas-lighting. I'd pity them if they weren't channeling this cynical childish nihilism in such destructive ways via the Trump admin and GOP party. 

Edited by joshuatx

i think that our non-USA commenters have gnereally good takes but I would definitely say that you don't know how fucked it is until you are on the ground here and experiencing for yourself the feeling of the forsaken rust-belt towns or the awkwardness of aggresively gentrified cities, homeless on your doorstep, having to reason with hostile anti-jntellectual conservatives in local government, mass consumer culture more or less

an unofficial religion, one that shapes thrmajority of lives in this country. Walmart reality.

I am being very obvious and cliché here but these aspects of american society on the large scale are powerful. Australia no doubt follows suit culturally, i can see that. But being on the ground in the USA wouls quickly illuminate the differences between the aussie state and the USA.

i think that our non-USA commenters have gnereally good takes but I would definitely say that you don't know how fucked it is until you are on the ground here and experiencing for yourself the feeling of the forsaken rust-belt towns or the awkwardness of aggresively gentrified cities, homeless on your doorstep, having to reason with hostile anti-jntellectual conservatives in local government, mass consumer culture more or less

an unofficial religion, one that shapes thrmajority of lives in this country. Walmart reality.

I am being very obvious and cliché here but these aspects of american society on the large scale are powerful. Australia no doubt follows suit culturally, i can see that. But being on the ground in the USA wouls quickly illuminate the differences between the aussie state and the USA.

Agreed for the most, would only say that I don't know much of shit about Australia and so I won't pretend to know how the general state of most persons there compares directly to what Salv is describing about America here. I don't know how much of America the outside really sees, I don't know how much of America many Americans really see. The bulk of our country is poor, stupid, and afraid of everything. 

someone posted this awhile back

12:34

Very nice, the professor sorta grounds everything after the colonel goes near-existential was a good thing too. Also that David Cross clip was spot on of course, always liked his comedy. Closest to Bill Hicks as far as stand up routines go imo.

Why does it bother you when foreigners talk about Trump? His policy does have a significant effect on the rest of the world and even if it didn't there is nothing wrong with discussing things that don't have a direct and immediate impact on one's own life. Also Trumps effect on foreign relations isn't only the things that are immediately visible, he pushes a general right shift trend in the whole world even by things that on first sight look as if they only concern the US. Why wouldn't also people who don't live in the US talk about it?

Trump's not generally pushing things to the right, just as he didn't start it here in the states, it's been happening for years...it's just all coming up to the surface and gaining traction. Trump and others like him around the world (and more importantly the isolationist/separatists/nationalist/racist groups) have benefited from Trump, yes, and he's having some causal effect perhaps, but he didn't start shit, he's just capitalizing on it. Everything else you mentioned I covered in my post, so tbh I'm not sure if you actually read it. Re-read it for answers.

Trump's not generally pushing things to the right, just as he didn't start it here in the states, it's been happening for years...it's just all coming up to the surface and gaining traction. Trump and others like him around the world (and more importantly the isolationist/separatists/nationalist/racist groups) have benefited from Trump, yes, and he's having some causal effect perhaps, but he didn't start shit, he's just capitalizing on it. Everything else you mentioned I covered in my post, so tbh I'm not sure if you actually read it. Re-read it for answers.

I did read your post yet I don't understand why you think that Americans are more entitled to speak about Trump than non-Americans and that it's weird that non-Americans express their opinions on Trump related topics. It's not weird even if it's about domestic policies. It's also legitimate to talk about Erdogan and Turkey without being a Turk or about war in Yemen without living in Yemen, wouldn't you agree? There is nothing weird about it, we live in a globalized world after all. And I disagree about Trump not pushing things to the right, it actually surprises me that you see it that way.

The only reason you mentioned why it bothers you that non-Americans post int the Trump thread is that you want Trump to get less attention because you hope he would as a result say something so over the line that he will be impeached. That's a pretty weak reason and I don't think it works that way.

And of course we all have a limited perspective. And external perspectives can be useful and interesting.

When there's an orange baby throwing tantrums leading the world's largest military and economic force it does get a bit concerning even if you're not from the same country.

Auxien, think of it this way: everybody in the world looks at the USA. In a way such that foreign news often is about the US. And foreign news is an important part of news in a lot of countries. Any news program can often be half foreign and the other half about stuff happening nationally. Although that might vary depending on the importance of the news stories, but the thing you need to understand is that foreign stuff can be important and will be covered on national TV.

My guess is, more so than in the US.

US media covering foreign stuff, if at all (!?), is also pretty laughable. Not because the US is stupid and all that nonsense. It's simply because of a lack of local (=foreign) reporters with a deeper understanding of the stuff happening outside the US borders. 

For foreign countries it's pretty standard practice to have reporters structurally on the ground in the US to report US news stories.

And, again, if you want to compare, you only need to look at the amount of US reporters living and reporting from across the borders.

So, in conclusion, foreign countries have it easy as they only need to have a couple reporters in the US and a couple other countries that might be relevant nationally. The reverse - US media outlets having reporters in all foreign countries - is simply impossible. I'd expect some reporters in the middle east and Jerusalem in particular, but that's about it. I'd be surprised if there happen to be people reporting from the EU, for instance.

^not sure about the point you're making here, goDel. As far as I know some American news agencies are excellent and well-connected

Might be the case, indeed. But "some" is not all. And I believe any news agency in Germany, for instance, will have people reporting from the US. As it's standard practice. (that was my point, btw: standard practice to have people reporting from the US)

I don't see how perspectives from folks outside of the US on our still-burning dumpster fire of a presidency is even a problem. This is a multinational forum, after all.

I did read your post yet I don't understand why you think that Americans are more entitled to speak about Trump than non-Americans and that it's weird that non-Americans express their opinions on Trump related topics. It's not weird even if it's about domestic policies. It's also legitimate to talk about Erdogan and Turkey without being a Turk or about war in Yemen without living in Yemen, wouldn't you agree? There is nothing weird about it, we live in a globalized world after all.

I shouldn't have to explain why Americans have more experience being American than non-Americans. I never said anyone from anywhere shouldn't say whatever they want, I only said I find it weird. I assure you there are hundreds or thousands of non-Americans people spread throughout the globe who are far more qualified than me and 99% of Americans to speak about American domestic and foreign policy: none of them are on WATMM. And further, to the point I already made and you brought up as well, if you're all focused on America, that's a problem with your perspective and thinking and media-consumption habits, imo. 

The only reason you mentioned why it bothers you that non-Americans post int the Trump thread is that you want Trump to get less attention because you hope he would as a result say something so over the line that he will be impeached. That's a pretty weak reason and I don't think it works that way.

And of course we all have a limited perspective. And external perspectives can be useful and interesting.

Re-read this:

I'm not trying to downplay Trump's shittiness or tell everyone who's not American to gtfo by any means, but maybe just...I dunno, recognize where and how and try to grasp why you're getting this constant stream of Trump news, and maybe turn off some of those firehoses. For your own sakes, people. If for no other reason than clicking those stories and videos constantly just feeds back into it and gets Trump's little mushroom cock hard as fuck. He loves the attention more than anything. 

Added a little emphasis. :)

Basically, if you're so fucking invested in American politics that don't directly effect you, then maybe that's a problem for you. (general you here, not you specifically, necessarily) Like I also said originally, media and internet life is so focused on this shit that it's ballooning beyond its actual influence. Trump's most hot air: for like the third time, I'm not by any means saying gtfo, or ignore US politics unless you're American, but, ya know, maybe just ease it back a little. It's unnecessarily overblown that says more about the internet and media than about actual policy and real life experience. 

Same sentiment when I quoted Rubin Farr's post about Ann Coulter: yes she said a stupid thing, that's all she's capable of, but I don't have to care. Trump, despite being president, says lots of stupid things that nothing actually comes from. I sorta have to care about them to some extent because I'm American: you don't, I don't worry about what other country's idiotic leaders say in general, I do worry when they actually push crazy shit through beyond rhetoric. The international outrage at even the tiniest Trump tweet is way overblown.

Auxien

I literally didn't read anything you said beyond that....

^not sure about the point you're making here, goDel.

...but darreich's take sounds about what I'd expect.

I don't see how perspectives from folks outside of the US on our still-burning dumpster fire of a presidency is even a problem. This is a multinational forum, after all.

It's not a problem imo. It's just weird that so many international people (i see it much more on Twitter) are SO SO SO concerned with whatever lunacy Trump spit out of his mouthass.

11 people were randomly murdered in a synagogue this week.

Small point....not randomly: purposefully targeted and assassinated for their religion. (this was implied but the emphasis is important imo)

Edited by auxien

11 people were randomly murdered in a synagogue this week.

Small point....not randomly: purposefully targeted and assassinated for their religion.

right.

trump's reaction: "It's a terrible, terrible thing what's going on with hate in our country". anyone else feel like they're being trolled?

trump chanted "lock him up" along with a crowd, about George Soros, 2 days ago. this was shortly after Soros, a jew, was sent a pipe bomb by a trump supporter.

on friday, a reporter asked trump if he would tone down his rhetoric, following the bombs being sent to his opponents. he said “I could really tone it up”

trump's reactions to the synagogue shooting and the pipe bombs give me the same vile feeling as when he came out assisting the cover-up of WaPo reporter Kashoggi's murder. it's clear as day that this is a morally bereft despot and it's wildly dangerous that he's ended up in the presidency.

Edited by very honest

Well, if we wrest majority control of Congress from the GOP next week, then his power should be much more restricted than it is now. But that's the best case scenario.