Either way, in the moment, it makes me very sad. Wish people (myself included) could take a step back and focus more on how we're all alike, rather than trying to force one ideology down someone else's throat.

<3

there might be more people against Trump/GOP, but they've rigged the election system to their advantage so they'll have a grasp on power for the forseeable future. For change to occur, the non-GOP parties need to start winning back local houses of representatives and so on. Enact laws that will make it harder to gerrymander and disenfranchise voters.

there might be more people against Trump/GOP, but they've rigged the election system to their advantage so they'll have a grasp on power for the forseeable future. For change to occur, the non-GOP parties need to start winning back local houses of representatives and so on. Enact laws that will make it harder to gerrymander and disenfranchise voters.

I don't really know if there actually are more of us against Trump than those completely loyal to him now. Seems like it's split evenly in half. Either way, never in my life have I seen this degree of political polarization.

I know what it's like having people close to you whom you've known pretty much your whole life to now be on the opposite side. Guess this is a time when everybody's showing their true colors.

These are both true.

There are more anti-Trumpers than Trump supporters. The problem is that includes those apathetic, ignorant, and "out of the loop" in terms of gauging firm political beliefs. I think those who regretted voting from Trump checked out awhile ago. The base is firm now. Getting the non-GOP majority to be as firm is a lot harder.

Two points about 2016: not only was is down to a very small portion of people in the rust belt via Electoral college and swing district dynamics, but many of those who decided it for Trump either voted for Obama or never voter at all previously. Likewise those who came out to vote for Obama in record numbers in 2008 didn't return in 2012 or 2016. There's a good chance Bernie would of swung the vote the other way because they voted against HRC more than they voted for Trump. Trump was either a "fuck it" vote for independents or a "fuck you vote" by bitter GOPers. Those rust belt middle america voters in key areas were really more of the former. Those who normally don't vote among the fringe far-right were the latter.

The GOP knows this, they exploit it tremendously. Their absurdly vague and deceitful rhetoric works because it preys on those who are both the most ignorant and more desperate for drastic change in their working-class slumps. It's also why they split up urban voting district blocks into rural districts where their platform is more appealing. The irony is the essentially stole the moderate Dem rhetoric of populism, stripped it of merit and nuance, weaponized it with more nationalist and bigoted tones, and now sell it hard to perpetuate the "us versus elitists" mentality. 

Edited by joshuatx

So I started reading Fahrenheit 451 having never gotten around to it as a teenager or college student, and I feel like one of those clinging onto find meaning and truth to no avail in real life but more as a private act of rebellion. I can't even fathom being an academic or intellectual under a full-fledged regime as people are and have been elsewhere. 

I think I might just bow out altogether, this thread included. The futility of it all. Desire to move offline into the middle of nowhere is high. 

Jair Bolsonaro is shaping up to be the Trump of Brazil. I guess dictatorships are the latest fashion trend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45780176

Yeah, Colombias new president is another right-wing nut.. but is kinda expected with the immense flood of people coming from Venezuela... it's all really fucking sad, puts problems here in Europe into perspective rlly

edit: I shouldnt draw the dictatorship parallel tho it's all incredibly complicated

Edited by MIXL2

My attitude is: all you can do is vote.

I think there were a lot of people who voted for Trump in 2016 that wouldn’t now. They thought he’d be reined in by congress(LOL). Many of those people would vote for some other conservative candidate instead. Which is why I’m hoping this whole thing blows back on the GOP without mercy. They’re financially linked to the whole foreign influence campaign.

Jair Bolsonaro is shaping up to be the Trump of Brazil. I guess dictatorships are the latest fashion trend.

He'll sell the rainforests to the highest bidder then we are all fucked. It's been fun guys.

He'll sell the rainforests to the highest bidder then we are all fucked. It's been fun guys.

sweet!  humans can be wiped off the planet sooner! and we'll have plenty of palm oil for everyone as we die. 

Either way, in the moment, it makes me very sad. Wish people (myself included) could take a step back and focus more on how we're all alike, rather than trying to force one ideology down someone else's throat. 

Nope, bash their metaphorical skulls in, they're killing millions with their stances on healthcare and climate change, I don't feel sad, these people aren't humane and won't start being so

It's not some nice game where we're all on the same side at the end of the day and these are just temporary issues, these people are genuinely bad of their own accord, can't keep giving grown adults the intellectual benefit of the doubt with these toddler level anti-intellectual and anti-nuance viewpoints

Edited by Zeffolia

So I started reading Fahrenheit 451 having never gotten around to it as a teenager or college student, and I feel like one of those clinging onto find meaning and truth to no avail in real life but more as a private act of rebellion. I can't even fathom being an academic or intellectual under a full-fledged regime as people are and have been elsewhere. 

I think I might just bow out altogether, this thread included. The futility of it all. Desire to move offline into the middle of nowhere is high. 

AKA trolling.

It's trolling on a national scale. 

Nope, bash their metaphorical skulls in, they're killing millions with their stances on healthcare and climate change, I don't feel sad, these people aren't humane and won't start being so

It's not some nice game where we're all on the same side at the end of the day and these are just temporary issues, these people are genuinely bad of their own accord, can't keep giving grown adults the intellectual benefit of the doubt with these toddler level anti-intellectual and anti-nuance viewpoints

Indeed. Head in the sand ignorance and brazen refusal to admit you don't know anything. Compounded by the 2018 internet decimation of the ideas of truth and reality. Philosophically pretty interesting time if you can ignore the stupidity of refusing to accept the doom of your species. If only conservative meant conserving ALL life. 

If only conservative meant conserving ALL life. 

Heh...yeah. Really though, what the hell ARE they conserving?

So I started reading Fahrenheit 451 having never gotten around to it as a teenager or college student, and I feel like one of those clinging onto find meaning and truth to no avail in real life but more as a private act of rebellion. I can't even fathom being an academic or intellectual under a full-fledged regime as people are and have been elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmnp7ghGPk

I hear you, there is a futile feeling of it all, especially considering this trumpism thing seems to only be growing and normalizing. Theres this sentiment... Like hey, if it's not recycled into a meme, you've wasted the opportunity to cash in on it... Or... Don't get angry bro, it is what it is... If that's the way our generation and the ones around us handle apathy/frustration, (purely through irony and absurdity) then fuck us, revolution as we know it is dead. Discourse is dead. Intellectualism is dead. We can't even turn our frustration into goddamn art (and no, memes are not art, they're social media attention-grabs wrapped in adolescent humor--with the rare exception of tasteful absurdity--nothing more). We used to be what I'd consider one of the greatest generations, if not, the greatest. Edited by Lane Visitor

you've only got to put up w/it for another 15 years or so. by then we'll all be embroiled in total collapse of the environment/climate and just trying to scrounge enough rainwater from the rooftops to survive. 

Also, we'll never learn the simple truth that responding to his lunacy only feeds it. I dont know how you fight a tyrant or oppressive regime/culture in 2018, but I know it's not through criticism, eye rolling, hashtagging, retweeting. Social media has the potential to mobilize and change the world, and it has. But it can't be used as a catch-all template to speak out and create change. I can't stress enough how our im-over-it critique of trump has given him the incredible power he has today. Much like a Kardashian, much like a Kanye, much like a Paris Hilton. We roll our eyes but we WANT to see it, hear it, feel it. We want to feel the obnoxious energy he emits. Because it's potent and nothing more. He's the Hollywood mafia boss, we know we hate him, but we love to watch the wreckage. We love to chime in and be a part of it all. We've made him a god. He is our own making. We're all just looking in the mirror, that's all it really is.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Also, we'll never learn the simple truth that responding to his lunacy only feeds it. I dont know how you fight a tyrant or oppressive regime/culture in 2018, but I know it's not through criticism, eye rolling, hashtagging, retweeting. Social media has the potential to mobilize and change the world, and it has. But it can't be used as a catch-all template to speak out and create change. I can't stress enough how our im-over-it critique of trump has given him the incredible power he has today. Much like a Kardashian, much like a Kanye, much like a Paris Hilton. We roll our eyes but we WANT to see it, hear it, feel it. We want to feel the obnoxious energy he emits. Because it's potent and nothing more. He's the Hollywood mafia boss, we know we hate him, but we love to watch the wreckage. We love to chime in and be a part of it all. We've made him a god. He is our own making. We're all just looking in the mirror, that's all it really is.

yes. every bit of attention, good or bad, just amplifies what he says and does. 

wasn't sure where else to post this, but since we're getting apocalyptic and I can't imagine the US' big boy making any drastic changes soon:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45775309

Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C.

we might see a mass extinction event in our lives! awesome!

im just gonna listen to boc and sleep alot

wasn't sure where else to post this, but since we're getting apocalyptic and I can't imagine the US' big boy making any drastic changes soon:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45775309

Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C.

we might see a mass extinction event in our lives! awesome!

maybs this needs it's own thread? Edited by MIXL2

im just gonna listen to boc and sleep alot

bbc headline yesterday was how can individuals and governments make a difference

nothing about massive corporations

lets just remind ourselves: there is a climate change denialist in the wh

it all reads just like most of this thread tbqh

interesting claim. care to elaborate?

EDIT: damn this was days ago. anyway mixl just another reminder that you're a gronk who paints the worst, most laziest false equivalences as a substitute for any substantive argument or belief in anything. 

yes, people who think other people deserve healthcare are exactly the same as people who don't. excellent detective work.

Edited by Mesh Gear Fox

Heh...yeah. Really though, what the hell ARE they conserving?

unborn babbies

but once they're born, those welfare babbies and their freeloading parents can get fucked.

They are conserving the rich white christian man's lifestyle.