IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

By which I don't mean to say that right-wingers all have bad taste, just like they're not all stupid.

Yeah, one's inclined to believe that the general idea of abstraction might be more attractive to above-average IQ representatives of spectrums on each side, since you're challenged to fill in more blanks in terms of perception (what's it supposed to represent) as well as intellectually (what's it supposed to mean / thematical context).

Sure, far too plump for a general assumption, anyway i wouldn't be suprised if the correlation (if there actually is one) stems from somewhere that direction. Dunno. Which also still begets the scaling question. Maybe on the right side the IQ bell curve is more extreme? Apparently that's the case for males in general, which would fit the demographic.

On the other hand I think that the average right-winger has a higher tolerance for cheesiness than the average left-winger, like they are more comfortable with adopting artifacts for their symbolic values even if they're fugly or gaudy.

Then again most right wingers seem to like to think of themselves as rational / factual and leftists as more sentimental. Like honestly Michael Moore's style of presentation is cheesy af, too.

Edited by jaderpansen

This is pretty funny. Conservatives like extrapolating from a few cases and pretending it's a widespread thing when no I think most people are against this.

(Some) conservatives playing the victim card. Yet they also play the alpha male card. Which one is it?  I guess the beta liberals just gang up on alpha conservatives in numbers. Betas unite I guess.

Yeah, one's inclined to believe that the general idea of abstraction might be more attractive to above-average IQ representatives of spectrums on each side, since you're challenged to fill in more blanks in terms of perception (what's it supposed to represent) as well as intellectually (what's it supposed to mean / thematical context).

The difference between conservatives and liberals seems to be more focused on aspects of agreeableness, and open to new experience (also read how fearful you are of new things or the unknown), than IQ. IQ seems somewhat irrelevant actually. IT seems every study I've seen has conservatives and liberals within 2 IQ points of each other and I've seen both sides have the higher IQ.

Most people are born into their political party whether they are conservatives or liberals because of the surrounding culture and parents constantly harping on it throughout their youth. I know mine did and I was a conservative till I got old enough to spot the BS. People don't really make that decision for themselves but assimilate into their culture better as a result I think.

You know I'm basically the only liberal in the family. The closest liberal I know to me are some cousins I never met who live in California. My family thinks they're weird because they're vegan. So I guess they aren't open to ideas? *shrugs*

Edited by Brisbot

Just sort of interested in the psychology of why some people turn right or left wing and if it somehow correlates with aesthetic preferences..

Authoritarian populism appeals to those wanting easy, delusional answers - be it right or left-wing it's the same mechanics and the end goal is a despot and cronies in power. Hell, look at the rhetoric of Chavez and Maduro and it's literally the same phrasing and whataboutism as Trump and the GOP, just with different adversaries and buzzwords at play.

The longest paper I wrote in college was about Vertov and Eisenstien's usage of montage in film the late 20s through 1930s. Soviet art before Stalin and after is night and day. vant-garde film and artwork flourished after the Revolution and was shut down upon Stalin's ascent to power and truly experimental and avant-garde work was considered "decadent bourgeois art" Post Khrushchev (mid-1950s) things got better and more diverse but the impact of social realism is apparent when you see it so finely echoed in the DPRK, Vietnam and any Soviet Sphere ally mural in the cold war. 

I would point out the art styles of the Trump devoutees parallels Nazi and Stalin era art censorship and state endorsed "proper artwork" - fascists love to draw out culture wars and divide artwork into arbitrary lines of their claimed moral and cultural relevance. 

Supporters of Trump are of the same vein as supporters of the current governments in Phillipines, Turkey, Russia, Venezuela, Hungry, etc. They don't easily fit on one demographic but they all fit one broad similarity: they feel like they are on a team. They love to relish in simplistic ideals and beliefs under one leader. They love feeling like they are winning and that they espouse some superior tribal ethos. They reject nuance, facts, and objective ideals of law, justice, and personal freedom because those things aren't easy to wear on a sleeve or rally behind fervently. Fear doesn't just keep them in line, it serves as a mental and physical sustenance from the reality of their own failings and the failings of their leader. Racist baby boomers in America, impoverished evangelical famers in the Philippines, disgruntled factory workers in Russia: they'll all echo the same bullshit - globalist elites run the world, negative facts are fake news, immigrants, progressives, and intellectuals are dangerous. It's all the same delusional garbage and power hungry liars excel at peddling it.

https://www.texasobserver.org/east-texas-trump-voters-lansdale/?fbclid=IwAR3s-xexD2xIfY002Qkvw3RMY_DYGqIjmCcStR5-VDvGgUHTTqscsJ28YGU

The longest paper I wrote in college was about Vertov and Eisenstien's usage of montage in film the late 20s through 1930s. Soviet art before Stalin and after is night and day. vant-garde film and artwork flourished after the Revolution and was shut down upon Stalin's ascent to power and truly experimental and avant-garde work was considered "decadent bourgeois art" 

Interesting. I guess this is a little later than what your paper covered, but I heard that Tarkovsky had a hell of a time getting one of his movies past censorship, maybe it was Andrei Rublev?

So was Vertov outright banned when Stalin rose up? I feel like Man With Movie Camera can be made to support a glorification of Russia kind of deal, and maybe it ran during Stalin's reign? 

The longest paper I wrote in college was about Vertov and Eisenstien's usage of montage in film the late 20s through 1930s. Soviet art before Stalin and after is night and day. vant-garde film and artwork flourished after the Revolution and was shut down upon Stalin's ascent to power and truly experimental and avant-garde work was considered "decadent bourgeois art" 

Interesting. I guess this is a little later than what your paper covered, but I heard that Tarkovsky had a hell of a time getting one of his movies past censorship, maybe it was Andrei Rublev?

So was Vertov outright banned when Stalin rose up? I feel like Man With Movie Camera can be made to support a glorification of Russia kind of deal, and maybe it ran during Stalin's reign? 

Yeah Rublev was delayed then released in a censored form. I'm not familiar with it as much (I've seen Solaris but the rest of his filmography is on my long list of films to watch) but according to wiki it was deemed "anti-historical" for various reasons that didn't ideological preferences and there's a lot of backlash to it's graphic scenes. Apparently they failed to prevent it from being screened overseas initially despite it's critical acclaim.

So Man With The Movie Camera and Eisenstien's 1920s era classics were inherently propaganda pieces but they were given a lot of creative latitude in their personal direction in doing so. Stalin's admin became more and more involved It wasn't until 1934 that strict guidelines and censorship was firmly in place. Vertov's work tapered off as a result, he essentially had to simply edit and direct newsreels without his "Kino-Eye" vision. Eisenstien left for the Americas and then came back to suspicion but was given a second chance and as a result made films up until his death in 1946. Alexander Nevsky went from being shelved to popularly released upon entering war with Germany and Stalin enjoyed Ivan the Terrible, Part I. Part II though was banned until 1958. I can only speculate that he would have entered into another rough era and either would have quietly worked on unremarkable films or tried to emigrate had he lived longer.

Sweet, thanks for the knowledge! I like Man With A Movie Camera a lot: the editing rhythm is maddeningly beautiful at times, like when the train is approaching and it's just individual frames of trains and the editor's eye looking at film cut together. Shit is crazy!

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1102957900010524677

warren is the one who will go at the root issues in an effective way. as much as i like bernie, i see warren getting more done.

The Native American thing is a favorite topic among those with Conservautism, but ironically enough, she is the real swamp drainer.

warren is the one who will go at the root issues in an effective way. as much as i like bernie, i see warren getting more done.

The Native American thing is a favorite topic among those with Conservautism, but ironically enough, she is the real swamp drainer.

she is. it's kinda been her thing all along.  regulate wall street and protect consumers. give the regulations teeth. 

The same folks obsessed with her Native American claims as this "outrage" are the same ones who insist that the Washington Redskins keep their name to battle PC culture.

Right-wingers have no moral or social standards, they only dabble in such rhetoric when their tactics call for it.

Initially there was a morbid fascination in watching this tit speak but now it just makes me sad. He’s such an ignorant moron.

Initially there was a morbid fascination in watching this tit speak but now it just makes me sad. He’s such an ignorant moron.

the CPAC speech is some fucking coocoo bananas out the mouth of trump. inside his head i think there's just 500 guys pointing and yelling "SQUIRREL!"  over and over and that's where his train of thought goes. 

Good on Dems in Congress for not appeasing this administration. Democratic leadership can't afford to be complacent, though I'm sure they already understand that.

missing from that table were Bill Michaelsoft, Jeff Amazon and that Ayrab lookin' feller from Google whose name is too hard to remember.

Genuinely curious as to whether dickhead is the most dumbfuck head of state in the history of human civilization... like did Nero even reach 0.1 of this dumbfuckery?

Also repeatable ad nauseum is the observation that dickhead is the oozing, fetid symptom rather than the disease.  M. Eric Huh effectively operates as an oligarchy/kleptocracy now under the choke collar of capitalism and guise of democracy.  Who knew a two-party system was so easily exploitable?

Genuinely curious as to whether dickhead is the most dumbfuck head of state in the history of human civilization... like did Nero even reach 0.1 of this dumbfuckery?

Yeah but it's harder to digest hyper-tyranny in the form of duck dynasty cosplay supporters and kitsch wealth versus togas and roman columns

turns out the dude was a neckbeard though

Nero_1.JPG