IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

I think every single prominent news source is biased in some way. From what I understand there are totally objective news sources that only state the fact of what happened that other sources then take and spin it to fit into their narrative. Associated Press seems to be one of them. But personally I prefer an echo chamber.

In other news more Trump Dementia stuff that may or may not mean anything but is bizarre nevertheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHCUX0K8nM

I think every single prominent news source is biased in some way. From what I understand there are totally objective news sources that only state the fact of what happened that other sources then take and spin it to fit into their narrative. Associated Press seems to be one of them. But personally I prefer an echo chamber.

- yes news sources are biased, even if not in tone, then in what they choose to investigate/report. everything with a POV suffers from this problem

- no there are no totally objective sources of information, even if they are 100% factual - see above: merely choosing to omit or include particular stories in a daily paper helps set a particular public focus/agenda

- these two points do not conclude that 'the news' is untrustworthy by nature; quickly sorting statements of fact ("so and so was arrested today") from opinion ("congress is full of cowards") is partly your job as a reader.

- your echo chamber smells like farts

- no there are no totally objective sources of information, even if they are 100% factual - see above: merely choosing to omit or include particular stories in a daily paper helps set a particular public focus/agenda

Well yeah that's a given. I have the bad habit of over-exaggerating things by using 'totally' or 'incredibly' for whatever reason when I don't really mean that. As long as unconscious  biases exist in people, nothing pertaining to media will be 100% objective.

I only know about the Associated press from reading  manufacturing consent ( I think, as I've read a number of his books) by Noam Chomsky where he recommends it as his go to source of news before.

- your echo chamber smells like farts

oh come on now I was kidding. Though I think the echo chamber critique is kinda moot as it's human nature to want to be around like minded people from culture to politics. 

I have a question. Where do you guys get most of your news from? My favorite news source is "Secular Talk". I kinda iffy on The Young Turks.

i used to watch TYT until i realized they get about 90% of their stories from huff po and just summarize it

nowadays i don't have a one-stop-shop for all my news but rather just get headlines sent to my phone from multiple sources

I have a question. Where do you guys get most of your news from?

When I tried to get a rounded, unbiased view of US politics, I used the Read Across the Aisle app. It spans from HuffPo to Fox News and everything in between. If you're reading mostly left wing news, it will warn you and recommend to read more right wing. If too much right wing, it recommends left wing. It's good if you want to be informed in a more nuanced and ambiguous way as it forces you reflect on points about a lot of different issues from a lot of different sides. I ended up getting rid of it because it was actually a really big commitment to apply this type of informed view.

Now, I read CBC, Politico and Politifact, and I try to reserve judgements and conclusions on anything I read.

I have a question. Where do you guys get most of your news from? My favorite news source is "Secular Talk". I kinda iffy on The Young Turks.

i used to watch TYT until i realized they get about 90% of their stories from huff po and just summarize it

nowadays i don't have a one-stop-shop for all my news but rather just get headlines sent to my phone from multiple sources

I haven't really listened to them since 2016. I tried again recently and quickly caught them ignoring facts. It's hard for me to trust political news from any media I've seen being intellectually dishonest. Such as CNN with their BS polls showing Biden ahead of Bernie. Yeah he is ahead of Bernie, if your poll focuses on people age 50+. Conveniently left that out of their reporting.

The reason I like Secular Talk is that he tries his best to stick to the facts and changes his mind based on new info and won't BS you... at least I haven't caught him doing it.

When I tried to get a rounded, unbiased view of US politics, I used the Read Across the Aisle app. It spans from HuffPo to Fox News and everything in between. If you're reading mostly left wing news, it will warn you and recommend to read more right wing. If too much right wing, it recommends left wing. It's good if you want to be informed in a more nuanced and ambiguous way as it forces you reflect on points about a lot of different issues from a lot of different sides. I ended up getting rid of it because it was actually a really big commitment to apply this type of informed view.

Now, I read CBC, Politico and Politifact, and I try to reserve judgements and conclusions on anything I read.

Oh I read Politifact. I'm not sure I would like that app since most right wing news is BS. I use politifact to fact check right wing news often considering I live in a conservative area with mostly conservative friends.

Some time back a buddy showed me this bs article on a prominent conservative news site about the lie that is climate change (that I can't remember the name of but it describes itself as  'alternative news for conservatives'... fitting) and I replied with relevant politifact 'fact checking' and he mirrored what I said, that he is distrustful of any left wing news, period. Called Politifact fake news.  :shrug: 

Man I hate politics. If Trump wins again I will just ignore the news for 2 to 3 years. Barring WW3.

I can't tell if it's dementia or if he just isn't interested in what he's talking about so he expends minimal effort talking about it, leading to him rambling about raking the floor, the "35 doors" of the Mexican wall, and now Disneyland. lol.

Thinking back to 2016/2017 I just don't remember him talking THIS much nonsense to where you had absolutely no clue what he meant.

Thinking back to 2016/2017 I just don't remember him talking THIS much nonsense to where you had absolutely no clue what he meant.

I definitely think a lot of it is due to his age. That and the fact that he is on record every time he speaks, and he bullshits so much he can't keep track of all the lies & half-truths he's put out there. His aging snake oil riddled brain can no longer think on the fly of a way to spin the conversation to his advantage or remember what he said about something before, so he falls back on the tried and true one-liners he knows will keep his base happy - "it's Obama's fault" "the Dems caused the problem" "Hilary lied about that" "I won the election by millions of votes", and so on.

Bottom line though is it's still just Trump being Trump. Doing the same thing he's essentially done his entire professional career. Not giving a fuck, not preparing for interviews, not researching issues in order to form an opinion and instead getting his opinions fed to him via someone else (a.k.a. fox news), etc.

He's losing more brain cells every day as far as I can tell. And yet we still have GOP asslickers like McConnell and Graham who are hell-bent on retaining his power. McConnell alone is a malignant tumor to this country that no one is taking action to extract.

Edited by ambermonk

Guys, it's all strategery. Flood the media with bullshit and all that.

Please keep your eyes on the ball! And ignore the twitters. It's meant to create distractions. You're being trolled.

Ha! Yes the main things on donnie's presidential checklist is to A.) let Russians take control of the world economy and B.) make a bunch of rich old dudes a helluva a lot richer. Everything else that comes out of his mouth is smoke and mirrors. It's more of a concern that Bolton, Stephen Miller, Bannon, Hannity, etc. are using him to roll out their prejudiced agenda. We know he really doesn't understand nor care that deeply about any of the things they come up with, but he'll sit back and take the credit because he recognizes its controversial - and big disruptions mean yuge ratings!

it's a circus act.. he's up there just fucking around with 4D ;) chess while moving the entire country in one direction w/help of congressional blobs of shit. 

lol “media literacy” really means “don’t believe anything you hear from the right because it’s actually from Russia”

Conspiracy nonsense.

Thing is, there are so many dumb right wing masses on Facebook liking garbage content and talking about it as fact at the church potluck, you know, crock pot meat balls and that delicious bbq sauce, iced tea and pimento cheese sandwiches

But there are just as many dumb libtard urbanites talking about vox articles as fact at Sunday brunch. (Maybe an açai bowl?)

people can't make comments w/o framing them in a stereotype as if it came right out of a rightwing/leftwing chat room. 

divisive politics do a disservice to everyone.  people are selling a message and heaven forbid anyone thinks for themselves and challenges the common thinking of one side or the other. 

rightwing media has been in lock step w/republican talking points for 2 decades. it's part of the reason the republicans were so successful for a long time. they were unified. the base was parroting everything. 

dems have been less unified because there's ya know.. diversity. 

it'll be interesting to see if the lock step breaks up over the next decade... but not that interesting. more interesting things will be happening. like NTS-MKII The NTS-enning. 

lol “media literacy” really means “don’t believe anything you hear from the right because it’s actually from Russia”

Conspiracy nonsense.

Thing is, there are so many dumb right wing masses on Facebook liking garbage content and talking about it as fact at the church potluck, you know, crock pot meat balls and that delicious bbq sauce, iced tea and pimento cheese sandwiches

But there are just as many dumb libtard urbanites talking about vox articles as fact at Sunday brunch. (Maybe an açai bowl?)

You're wrong.  Fox news and Facebook are very mainstream.  Vox is obscure.

Furthermore if you're equating Vox to Russian propaganda then just lol.  Yeah you can call them "extreme left wing" but you'd be kidding yourself

Conspiracy nonsense.

You're wrong.  Fox news and Facebook are very mainstream.  Vox is obscure.

Furthermore if you're equating Vox to Russian propaganda then just lol.  Yeah you can call them "extreme left wing" but you'd be kidding yourself

so true.  facebook has a billion users right?

anyway.. there's so much noise. shares of stories become pointless until they're believed. it's all murky bullshit at some point. i'm not optimistic. i hope to quit facebook when i can. 

I pretty much quit Facebook this year already, although my account is still technically active. I just abandoned it basically.

Now I just need to unsubscribe from every game-related channel on YouTube...

Conspiracy nonsense.

5a50d07f921b6.jpeg