IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

fucker is lucky the storm didn't hurt anyone on the east coast. hurricanes ride a coast. him indicating it was going to jump over to the gulf coast from the east coast would cause people on the east coast to be less prepared. at the point that trump was doubling down on his suggestion that the hurricane could hit alabama, there was real concern of it making landfall as a category 5 or 4 on the east coast.

for those that missed it, after trump received backlash for broadcasting a doctored NOAA hurricane map, the NOAA was instructed not to contradict him. 

The days-long drama began when, as Dorian was barreling toward the U.S. coastline, Trump tweeted Sept. 1 that the storm could pose a danger in Alabama. There was, at the time, a small chance that Dorian would bring tropical-storm force winds to the state, but scientists had said was no real chance of danger.

The National Weather Service office in Birmingham, Alabama, quickly corrected the president’s misstatement in a tweet, which didn’t directly name Trump but clarified that the storm posed no risk to the state.

Trump then, in an “update” from the Oval Office, presented a doctored map of the storm’s trajectory. He had apparently drawn on with a Sharpie in order to make it appear as though the storm was forecasted to hit Alabama. It didn’t end with that address: Trump kept harping on the false forecasts in tweets.

Nearly a week after the first tweet went out, NOAA sided with the president over its own scientists. It issued a press release that said that the president was correct in his assessment that the storm did pose a risk to Alabama, but also took the unusual step of criticizing the Birmingham National Weather Service, saying that the office “spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time.” 

from Top NOAA Scientist Calls Out Agency for Backing Trump in Dumbest White House Controversy Ever

Edited by very honest

On 9/4/2019 at 9:42 AM, ignatius said:

it's only in this modern ERA of the NRA that triggered all conservative gun people to get political that we have all this drama over the 2nd amendment. 

The resolution passed in San Francisco will just create measures to restrict businesses and organizations that do business with the NRA within the city. That's all. NRA members won't be rounded up and jailed or anything. There's no way to enforce that. It's literally just trying to cut off the supply of resources to and from the NRA.

Calling them a domestic terrorist organization is just there to make headlines.

50 minutes ago, Braintree said:

The resolution passed in San Francisco will just create measures to restrict businesses and organizations that do business with the NRA within the city. That's all. NRA members won't be rounded up and jailed or anything.

good luck trying to get that through to conservatives. besides, they just spent time making a video for san francisco saying they're not terrorists so clearly, they're not terrorist. 

21 minutes ago, ignatius said:

He’s trolling liberals so hard constantly, and everyone is falling for it. Really sad.

Good to see Bolton is out tho

Edited by auxien

could've been the perfect opportunity for donnie to dust off the ol' "you're fired" schtick and publicly humiliate bolton. he could have waited until bolton was in his press conference and hijacked the show, stumbling in to ramble off grievances before belting out the classic phrase... would have made today's episode of the donald j. trump show that much more hilarious, and a surefire way to boost sagging ratings among the maga faithful...

• Haha 1

one can only imagine what kind of "deals" donnie would have negotiated with the taliban, had they been allowed to come hang with him at camp david... 

I'm guessing free maga hats, trump branded schwag, and coupons for a free night's stay at mar-a-lago would have been part of the plan.

3 hours ago, auxien said:

He’s trolling liberals so hard constantly, and everyone is falling for it. Really sad.

Good to see Bolton is out tho

Yeah, he really is. The more they cry about Trump lying, the more painfull it looks. I really don't get why they're so principly hell bent on saying he lies whenever he does. There is a point where you can safely assume he is without the need to point it out. Ignoring it makes more sense at this point. It even takes away his power. Because he needs the attention. And it helps him even. Liberals should learn to use the ignore button, imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goDel said:

Yeah, he really is. The more they cry about Trump lying, the more painfull it looks. I really don't get why they're so principly hell bent on saying he lies whenever he does. There is a point where you can safely assume he is without the need to point it out. Ignoring it makes more sense at this point. It even takes away his power. Because he needs the attention. And it helps him even. Liberals should learn to use the ignore button, imo. 

this thread is about ~50% just him saying stupid shit and everyone going "wow i can't believe the stupid shit he said today!" one of the reasons i tend to stay out of it really (now, at least, i was contributing plenty the first year), all that you mentioned^. focusing on content about him, even the 'TRUMP BAD!!!!!' content, feeds it all ultimately. not saying there shouldn't be legit reporting and support of his many legal and potentially safety-threatening behaviors, but in general most of what he says and does is without real consequence. even the stuff he says and does that COULD have consequence doesn't for the most part because of the great people in the government and military and so forth who slow roll/ignore all his ridiculous bullshit. pay attention, but don't play into the news cycle cable news wankery, i say.....usually :cat:

please be careful not to whitewash the conman's damage. i don't have time to prepare a list right now but one item that deserves more appreciation is that he fired good public servants comey and mccabe while publicly assaulting their characters in order to try to get away with his crimes and send a message to servants of justice about what happens when you try to hold trump accountable for his crimes. that is drastic, dramatic, core damage.

mccabe is practically a hero. he led the manhunt for the boston marathon bombers, which resulted in their capture. he got the underwear bomber to flip on al-awlaki, resulting in intel that helped take him out. he did that with the High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group that he helped create, following obama's outlawing of torture. he helped catch the bengazi attack's ringleader. he was fired 2 days before retirement, accused of corruption, and trump called his wife a loser. coincidentally, he was involved in the russia investigation.

as bad as the injustice to mccabe was, the more significant part is that this pattern of obstruction of justice and tacit threats becomes the new norm if the criminals are not held accountable. what we're talking about is the mechanisms of justice getting deliberately broken so that the government can become more corrupt. these are the mechanisms by which the country remains free.

the house has to impeach. impeachment is the only check against a malignant executive, aside from voting them out. let the senate vote no. that is its own issue, and those dudes submitting their votes for history, to shield a malignant executive, will help to remedy it.

Edited by very honest

14 hours ago, auxien said:

this thread is about ~50% just him saying stupid shit and everyone going "wow i can't believe the stupid shit he said today!" one of the reasons i tend to stay out of it really (now, at least, i was contributing plenty the first year), all that you mentioned^. focusing on content about him, even the 'TRUMP BAD!!!!!' content, feeds it all ultimately. 

if the media didn't report on everything little thing he does, then this thread would probably be still at page 300 instead of the nearly 700 page behemoth it has become. I agree us reacting to all the crazy donnie nonsense is part of the problem, but when you go to any news site and the #1 story 99% of the time is trump saying or doing something beyond stupid, I don't know what else anyone expects? commenting on disaster after disaster just seems unavoidable. I know everyone should be past it by this point - he's never going to behave like an adult or an actual leader - but nonstop coverage of every fucking tweet is the media's fault. I get that everything from the shit show needs to be recorded/documented so he doesn't get away with "it", but maybe could they stop the 50 daily stories about him and just give us the recap when this is all over and done with?

39 minutes ago, zero said:

if the media didn't report on everything little thing he does, then this thread would probably be still at page 300 instead of the nearly 700 page behemoth it has become. I agree us reacting to all the crazy donnie nonsense is part of the problem, but when you go to any news site and the #1 story 99% of the time is trump saying or doing something beyond stupid, I don't know what else anyone expects? commenting on disaster after disaster just seems unavoidable. I know everyone should be past it by this point - he's never going to behave like an adult or an actual leader - but nonstop coverage of every fucking tweet is the media's fault. I get that everything from the shit show needs to be recorded/documented so he doesn't get away with "it", but maybe could they stop the 50 daily stories about him and just give us the recap when this is all over and done with?

The mainstream media still hasn't shifted from this model, nor have many Dem strategists or centrist liberals and conservatives. This thread is one thing, it's cathartic and archival, but it is depressing how much entities like CNN, MSNBC, the network channels, and even NPR still superficially focus on his loud, outrageous yet ultimately trivial bullshit at the expense of hammering daily the sheer substantive corruption and abuse he and his cronies engage in. Even when they do lay into his actual crimes they get suckered into superficial and misleading avenues. I will fully admit I was way too optimistic and sucked into the Russian collusion angle being the be all end all and Muller investigation being it's unravelling. It occurred and it shouldn't be downplayed but the media and establishment totally got focused on the wrong player - Russia - versus simply focusing on Trump's egregious crimes elsewhere: his tax returns, his dark money exchanges, a litany of unprecedented executive orders, the Epstein connection, etc. 

Hell, it's taken me a while to really break free of actually being suckered in to his and his supporter's 24/7 word vomit. The sprinkling of things I hear via work small talk or via here, social media, or other forums is, incredibly, maybe 1-2% of what he's tweeted that week or even that day. I mean, part of me says it's important that there's a record of this being made to reflect on decades from now, when we can actually process it. We're still getting insights into Nixon and Reagan's persons now via archived tapes and memos. I sympathize with everything posted here but I've had to, for my own sanity, really skim past most of it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, goDel said:

but liberals are using the ignore button. despite everything trump has done, he's still president. also, paula white made the white house sacred ground recently. and liberals used the ignore button on that too

trump's whitehouse really is structured like a reality tv show.. who's gonna get fired this week.. what dumb thing will he say etc.. but amidst all that there are actual fucked up policies being rolled out and suffering is increasing, divisiveness etc.. not to mention he's all megaphone w/the economy on twitter nad yoyoing the markets and walking us into a recession because he's inept and so are most of the people around him. 

in the meantime we can sit around and throw shit at the wall until something sticks or the dems figure out an angle to chip away at until they reveal a crack that everyone can see and not deny.. but the republicans in congress ain't doing much and have no principles so this will probably just go on and on. 

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

in the meantime we can sit around and throw shit at the wall until something sticks or the dems figure out an angle to chip away at until they reveal a crack that everyone can see and not deny.. but the republicans in congress ain't doing much and have no principles so this will probably just go on and on.

are we even throwing shit at the wall? the dems can't seem to make up their mind whether they should even begin impeachment proceedings and as for the republican doing anything? can they do anything? trump has already proved he will fire and replace anyone that's not on board with what he wants and everyone seems to back him on this (so much so in fact that even everyday citizens against it are somehow seen as traitors)

trump has kind of terraformed the society so that certain behavior is acceptable to the point where the president trolling is something that should just be accepted and tolerated