IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

My last sentence "the American president is above the law and some sort of dictator in a fake democracy" was definitely a hyperbole. The US is a democracy, be it a flawed one. It is an old democracy. And maybe that's the problem here, too much ballast from the past ist imprinted into the laws and procedures that are not viable for the present. And apart from the presidential system which I don't like but which can work, the factual two party system is a problem. In other countries parties are forced to form coalitions to gain majorities which is healthy for a democratic discourse and more appropriate for a pluralistic society and enables the integration of different views. In the present system the electorate basically has no real chance to express an accentuated position when both parties are basically catch-all, as Noam Chomsky puts it, business parties acting in favour of corporate (non-democratic) power. The biggest election interference is and has always been campaign funding.

Also, the US interferes in other country's elections on a regular basis, so election interference isn't really as much a scandal and abnormal as it seems even if it's obviously not lawful.

• Like 1

If getting Donald elected was indeed Putin's plan in the making for years in an attempt to destabilize the US and throw the country into disarray so as to mitigate the threat to Russia's global interests, then it seems to be working. I know I'm going out on a limb, but let us not lose sight of the bigger picture.

10 hours ago, Salvatorin said:

jesus fucking christ of course hopefully we all understand that but where is the good in this? this is the biggest, self-destructive act i have ever seen the democrats engage in. and they have had 20+ years of practice.  i feel like i'm taking crazy pills over here!

It's their job and duty to hold the executive branch of the government accountable. I would be more concerned if they didn't do their jobs.

9 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Was there ever a president that got impeached by the House of Representatives and the Senate?

Even Nixon's impeachement didn't pass the senate but everyone today thinks of him as the guy who was impeached.

This whole impeachment process is less a legal procedure than a political one and you shouldn't expect a fair outcome from it in any case which clearly shows that the American president is above the law and some sort of dictator in a fake democracy.

Nixon resigned, he wasn't impeached.

5 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

My last sentence "the American president is above the law and some sort of dictator in a fake democracy" was definitely a hyperbole. The US is a democracy, be it a flawed one. It is an old democracy. And maybe that's the problem here, too much ballast from the past ist imprinted into the laws and procedures that are not viable for the present. And apart from the presidential system which I don't like but which can work, the factual two party system is a problem. In other countries parties are forced to form coalitions to gain majorities which is healthy for a democratic discourse and more appropriate for a pluralistic society and enables the integration of different views. In the present system the electorate basically has no real chance to express an accentuated position when both parties are basically catch-all, as Noam Chomsky puts it, business parties acting in favour of corporate (non-democratic) power. The biggest election interference is and has always been campaign funding.

Also, the US interferes in other country's elections on a regular basis, so election interference isn't really as much a scandal and abnormal as it seems even if it's obviously not lawful.

The US is not a true democracy, it's a constitutional republic.  But that's splitting hairs, it's definitely not an authoritarian dictatorship.

31 minutes ago, Braintree said:

It's their job and duty to hold the executive branch of the government accountable. I would be more concerned if they didn't do their jobs.

The impeachment process was underway, but articles were not filed before he resigned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_process_against_Richard_Nixon

28 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The impeachment process was underway, but articles were not filed before he resigned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_process_against_Richard_Nixon

So we're in agreement then. He was never impeached.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

fr a republican he did some decent stuff. even a criminal republican. we got he EPA, the births of a basic income via welfare reform.. but lot's of shady shit too and ya know.. horrible stuff as well. but by today's standards he'd be a left wing democrat!

just riffing through jetlag. 

usa is a corporatocracy kleptocracy constitutional republic in late stage capitalism. 

• Farnsworth 2

Nixon was a huge piece of shit. If you know anyone that's gone to jail or prison for drug offenses, then you can thank tricky dick for that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nixon-adviser-ehrlichman-anti-left-anti-black-war-on-drugs-2019-7

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news."

"Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did," he concluded, according to Baum. 

• Like 2

Yeah, like all US leaders have been. But Nixon seems to be one of the more disgusting ones.

Obama was a slick motherfucker as well. Even though he seems likable and charming, under his administrations more wars were led than under any other administration. And I'm angry at Europe that it has been sucking US dick for so long

Him having gotten the Nobel Peace Prize was a joke.

• Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Nixon was a huge piece of shit. If you know anyone that's gone to jail or prison for drug offenses, then you can thank tricky dick for that.

54 minutes ago, ignatius said:

fr a republican he did some decent stuff. even a criminal republican. we got he EPA, the births of a basic income via welfare reform.. but lot's of shady shit too and ya know.. horrible stuff as well. but by today's standards he'd be a left wing democrat!

it's almost like people are complex and do thing that are good but also do things that are bad, especially when they're in positions of extreme power. some of Hitler's paintings weren't terrible. i hear he was a vegetarian too. 

Spoiler

:trollface:

oh and america is an experiment in capitalism that succeeded under the facade of some kind of a representative democracy. 

Edited by auxien
  • Burger 1

47 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

And I'm angry at Europe that it has been sucking US dick for so long

I guess this was the line that got me caze's facepalm. Just to clarify, I'm refering to the US led wars in the Middle East that the major European powers so eagerly joined because they wanted those economical advantages that a military offensive in close alliance with the US would guarantee. With the UK leading the way.

I'm by the way criticising governments here, not people(s).

/offtopic

31 minutes ago, caze said:
Could he be losing the god botherers? 

would be one of the few avenues that could actually bring him down, so let's hope. not sure how many of his base care about what some Christian publication says, even one founded by Billy Graham. but if enough preachers get behind it and start a groundswell, i guess it might start a ripple effect and move into other areas and sour the water, basically

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nixon-adviser-ehrlichman-anti-left-anti-black-war-on-drugs-2019-7

yeah.. totally that all falls under the "horrible shit".  i only meant to point out that republicans today are so conservative that in this climate they wouldn't even support nixon because they'd call him too liberal.. same w/reagan. 

Now that Trump's president, well almost three years in, we still have a bunch of racist evangelical Nazi-wannabe old shit stains in charge thinking they know what's best for the country. Never mind the fact that whypipo (myself included) weren't the first inhabitants.

What has Trump accomplished in the last three years? I mean, seriously? Play golf, treat brown people like shit, and go on Twitter rampages? Fuck him and his family for the waste of oxygen they all are.