IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

one of the problems w/people like owens is she exists in the pundit world and frames her arguments as such. she's confined by the media psyche in a way. there's certainly an agenda as there always is.. but it's weird shit. there's fracturing. it's an us vs them but everyone in that us vs them is american.  people like her want to do damage for some wrong they imagine was foisted on them by the "other".. buy "them" in america. she and people like her are more interested in hurting some people than helping the people she imagines would be her supporters. 

Sounds like she wants to play the demagogue card. First create distance from the bad examples (eg Hitler) and then pull a Trump. Which I think is not a good approach, btw. As she basically starts her campaign from a pretense of having some kind of moral framework.

One of Trumps strengths was his sense of being completely unapologetic. He can do whatever he wants and muscle his way out of any situation. (We'll see how this holds up under the current crisis, however. His first real crisis. So the jury is still out on this one) Candice here seems to think she can play some kind of moral demagogue role. (At least, that's what I read from whats being posted in this thread. I can't be arsed to invest more in her, tbh.) Which, imo, is not a very strong position to start from. As you're exposing yourself to all kinds of criticism on very subjective matters. Matters on which Trump could pull the proverbial middle finger.

I mean, Trump could get away with calling Putin a strong leader, for example. Getting away with stuff like that provides an awful lot of space to act in. Candace here starts off with putting restrictions on her own space. Not a smart play. And also one which I don't think would bring over the typical Trump supporters to her side. 

Which is the interesting thing though. As she'd be running as an alternative for Trump. And the fact she is considering this ( gotta be fake news, right), might imply there are some cracks in the Trump wall, as seen from the Trump support group. Assuming she was a Trump supporter, or in line with people who support him. 

Edited by goDel

can't have national vote by mail if there's no USPS. i guess there could be drop boxes for ballots like here in oregon but so much for a public good. What country doesn't have a fucking postal service?>????

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-rejects-bailout-that-included-aid-to-usps-report-says-2020-4

President Donald Trump said he would refuse to sign the $2.2 trillion COVID-19 stimulus package if it contained funding for the United States Postal Service, according to a report Saturday from The Washington Post

"We told them very clearly that the president was not going to sign the bill if [money for the Postal Service] was in it," a Trump administration official told the Post. "I don't know if we used the v-bomb, but the president was not going to sign it, and we told them that."

hell yeah! thanks for covid-19, trump wins that disaster declaration. after covid-19 is over, trump will be the first president in history to defeat the invisible enemy. so that will be yet another win

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

i thought his attitude was "i'm a backup, it's up to each state to decide"

which is truly the attitude of a great leader in a time of crisis, btw...

"the federal stock pile isn't for the states.. it's for 'us' and the states can fend for themselves and outbid each other for supplies from the private sector because honestly i don't really understand the role of the federal government nor do i know how it works. really i'm already bored of this situation. it's not entertaining at all and i'd rather play golf, speak at my rallies and run the media around in circles by saying stupid shit. someone hand me a big mac." - Donald Trump, probably. 

• Burger 1

It's a truly sad thing to see how this one guy at the top manages to screw stuff up this big. And how people still support him. Although it does look like his crisis approval ratings bump is over now. 

Of course he wants to fire Fauci. This seemed to be written on the wall from the moment we could all see that Fauci seemed competent. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, apriorion said:

Of course he wants to fire Fauci. This seemed to be written on the wall from the moment we could all see that Fauci seemed competent. 

sadly a 100% true statement

A "vomit" reaction would be preferable, but Picard facepalm will have to do.

Edited by timbre monke
"reaction", not "emoji"...although similar concept

"You said when someone is president of the United States their authority is total. That is not true. Who told you that?"

wh press starting to strike the right tone

damn. i don't watch these anymore, because i'm learning what it's like to be physically revolted by the depravity and evil of a human, but i see why #trumpmeltdown was trending yesterday

Edited by very honest
  • Facepalm 1

The white house is being run by a business man whose only interests are PR and self-enrichment. He'll keep on saying he's doing a perfect job till the end of time. Any problems are to blame on:

- China/rest of the world

- Obama

- Dems

- Deepstate

- Fake news, the media

- GOP

- Anyone but the Donald

We all know that by now. It's been like this for years. If millions people die because of something he didn't do, he will never acknowledge it. If he even is capable of having that level of self reflection. That's an "if".

It's trivial to even type it out, right?

Just ignore the a-hole and vote him out. Good luck with the current crisis though. ?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, very honest said:

"You said when someone is president of the United States their authority is total. That is not true. Who told you that?"

wh press starting to strike the right tone

damn. i don't watch these anymore, because i'm learning what it's like to be physically revolted by the depravity and evil of a human, but i see why #trumpmeltdown was trending yesterday

The most appalling thing is that a great deal of Americans like what he does

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

The most appalling thing is that a great deal of Americans like what he does

i would argue that they are deceived as to what he actually does, but yeah. the successful brainwashing of vast swaths, especially in red states, is really a feat to behold. i'm all too familiar with how it was carried out, and it really speaks to the fallibility of the typical human mind. our operating systems need updating, we need to increase skepticism and empower each individual node to be capable of logical analysis. a large percent of people are susceptible to the Appeal To The People fallacy. simple messages are workshopped and distributed widely, through multiple channels, in ways designed to appear organic and to appeal to organic sharing. the right-wing bubble deploys active measures to nullify messages that threaten right-wing narratives, preventing inconvenient information from reaching consensus by providing counternarratives. for example, they preempt anticipated attacks with mirrored messaging, so they fog the topic with "both sides claim the same thing." and they've entrenched the identity politics, capitalizing on the difficulty of knowing how veracious various entities are. trump tells his viewers that nyt, cnn, and wapo are biased, and fox news tells its viewers that the democrats attack trump for selfish, political reasons. i think reality is more that fox news and trump are literally fraud operations and cnn, wapo and nyt are examples of good journalism (the latter two moreso). but, if the disinfo is deployed widely enough, and is shared by enough of your friends, you don't know what to believe, if you don't have the skillset for analysis, or if you haven't been exposed to enough actual journalism, or if you don't feel like getting to the bottom of things yourself.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, goDel said:

We all know that by now. It's been like this for years. If millions people die because of something he didn't do, he will never acknowledge it. If he even is capable of having that level of self reflection. That's an "if".

It's trivial to even type it out, right?

right, but for some reason we're on page 754 of this thread. we keep talking about him even though it's just same stupid donald shit, different day. he is never going to change, and for that - I reluctantly give credit to the lying salesman. his theatrics and nonsensical outbursts have for better or worse kept our attention. he's like a court jester. a clown that acts so ridiculously, you can't help but watch in amusement/horror/confusion.

I've said before, I wish the media would stop giving him so much coverage, as that just eggs the whole thing on. they cover him 24/7 so the shit show is documented in (I guess) hopes he doesn't get away with anything...yet here we are almost 4 years and numerous potential career-ending political scandals later and he's gotten away with it all.

I just don't know if I can take 4 more years of listening to his bullshit. I blame the American voting public probably more than I blame donald for where we are today. he was a corrupt businessman and well known liar before 2016, and the fact that so many people believed his outright lies, exaggerations, etc. and think that his current behavior is acceptable is very unsettling. it shows that despite modern technology & a wealth of history to look back on, human beings can still be easily conned into believing in lies when they think it will somehow benefit them personally.

• Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 1

the slomo car crash you can not not watch.

i dont want to, but its a f-ing car spectacular crash. it seems to get worse by the week. and when you thought the absolute shit had hit the fan, you realise it was nothing compared to the shit that's flying around now. can't believe this shit is real. sure this isn't snl?

2 hours ago, very honest said:

i would argue that they are deceived as to what he actually does, but yeah. the successful brainwashing of vast swaths, especially in red states, is really a feat to behold. i'm all too familiar with how it was carried out, and it really speaks to the fallibility of the typical human mind. our operating systems need updating, we need to increase skepticism and empower each individual node to be capable of logical analysis. a large percent of people are susceptible to the Appeal To The People fallacy. simple messages are workshopped and distributed widely, through multiple channels, in ways designed to appear organic and to appeal to organic sharing. the right-wing bubble deploys active measures to nullify messages that threaten right-wing narratives, preventing inconvenient information from reaching consensus by providing counternarratives. for example, they preempt anticipated attacks with mirrored messaging, so they fog the topic with "both sides claim the same thing." and they've entrenched the identity politics, capitalizing on the difficulty of knowing how veracious various entities are. trump tells his viewers that nyt, cnn, and wapo are biased, and fox news tells its viewers that the democrats attack trump for selfish, political reasons. i think reality is more that fox news and trump are literally fraud operations and cnn, wapo and nyt are examples of good journalism (the latter two moreso). but, if the disinfo is deployed widely enough, and is shared by enough of your friends, you don't know what to believe, if you don't have the skillset for analysis, or if you haven't been exposed to enough actual journalism, or if you don't feel like getting to the bottom of things yourself.

Very well said and probably is the crux of the matter.

i wonder if he's talking about the 1953 sleeper or 62 epic disaster. either way:

The film's horrible and nightmarish production, Brando's notorious behavior during the production, the immense backlash against Brando by the press for his behavior, the overwhelmingly negative reviews aimed directly at Brando's performance in the film, and the film's disastrous performance at the box office destroyed Brando's film acting career and star power, which was only revived with the release of The Godfather ten years later. Milestone said later he thought Brando's performance was "horrible".

the press has always had it for everything trump. even his favorite films ?