IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

^So if Trump were more socially competent, polite, witty and charming while doing the exact same sort of destructive policies he is doing now the British would suddenly like him and vote for him? Probably

Edited by dingformung
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dcom said:

entertaining read.

but i don't think trump is the worst human being ever or anything, would he have his righteous status as some village idiot in the middle of nowhere he'd probably be worthy of pity really. as (arguably) most powerful man in the world however... really just another of those examples that lead neoliberal ideas of meritocracy ad absurdum. imo. like white says: the most disturbing thing is the fact that apparently anything can assemble a cult following in vast portions of a society given the circumstances, and any discussion based on reason seems to be impossible. i used to think educational systems could be an answer but honestly nowadays that everyone travels with a supercomputer in his/her pocket, having the whole of human knowledge at disposal at any time, there's really no justification for ignorance anymore already. but turns out doesn't work shit, instead we got "post-factualism". i'm honestly out of ideas for alternatives that don't go in somewhat totalitarian directions eventually and that makes me sad when i think about it. blah.

1 hour ago, zkom said:

I know that text is old but I wouldn't be too smug about election results now if I were a British person..

Where in that text is anybody being smug about election results?

28 minutes ago, Blir said:

Where in that text is anybody being smug about election results?

Wrong wording maybe.

Another try: Considering how the elections and referendums have gone in the UK lately maybe the Brits should not be feeling so superior over the Americans.

The whole text reads like British exceptionalism.

Just now, zkom said:

Wrong wording maybe.

Another try: Considering how the elections and referendums have gone in the UK lately maybe the Brits should not be feeling so superior over the Americans.

The whole text reads like British exceptionalism.

I think you're misreading it in that case. It's answering the question why Donald Trump is such an unpopular character to British people, quite effectively too. I don't think it has anything to do with superiority.

or you could remove the British references and title it "why do some human beings not like donald trump" and it would be just as accurate.

Yeah you could do that if you weren't the British person writing an article explaining in general terms why British people don't like Trump.

I only watched the clip from yesterday when he got into the spat with the asian american reporter, didn't watch the whole press conference. now it makes sense that she asked him why he needs to turn US testing numbers into a contest.

look at this shit. he had banners made to stroke his ego. where's the one that says America leads the world in covid deaths?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

look at this shit. he had banners made to stroke his ego. 

i'm sure other countries see our banners and get super jelly and wish they were number 1. but we're winning 

also don't forget, we're king of ventilators in case anyone can't breathe

• Haha 1

Most Americans cant stand trump and feel the same way as that article. 

Honestly when have the British ever not talked about Americans as if they were wooden unfunny crass idiots? 

17 hours ago, dcom said:

If true, there wouldn't be a Brexit. Johnson wouldn't be the current PM. Farage wouldn't have been a thing. And British tabloids wouldn't even be tolerated. There's a bit too much of the ol' "pat myself on the back" going on here, methinks.

Trump scores low on the British wit scale. But he's a weird animal where you have to continuously be on your toes and wonder whether he's that big of an idiot, or whether there's a deeper strategy behind it and you have to see through a facade to understand where he's coming from. Which, if true, could be oddly close to British sarcasm. But without the verbal poetry.

This lack of verbal poetry does leave an awkward black hole in his likability amongst the Brits, though. Brits don't mind a bit of trolling. As long as  it presents itself as witty. Look at Farage. You can't even be anti-establishment without carrying a big f-ing status-symbol on your sleeve that's called wit.

I'm no Brit. But as an outsider - a grumpy old one? - that is how it looks like to me. 

13 minutes ago, goDel said:

Johnson wouldn't be the current PM. Farage wouldn't have been a thing.

See this is where you don't have a clue, I'm afraid. Boris Johnson first of all was not elected by the people but also he has long been seen as a comedy figure. He rose to prominence in the UK from being on a political comedy panel show and being surprisingly entertaining on there, if a bit buffoonish. Farage as well, cunt though he is he comes across at least as relatable. Or at least more relatable than most of the political class.  Trump doesn't have a single shred of any positive trait.

It's amazing how you guys are struggling to wrap your head around this article. You're reading it as if it's saying "British people figured out what's not to like about Trump". Again, the point is he literally represents the opposite of what the British typically (as in pretty much most average British people, painting with broad strokes)  look for in a person. That doesn't mean other people don't also dislike Trump's traits.

Edited by Blir
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blir said:

You're reading it as if it's saying "British people figured out what's not to like about Trump".

No, I'm not. And yeah, I read that as a general "you" instead of towards me specifically. But I'm responding anyways as if directed to me anyways. Shits and giggles. And pissing over people who think they have the clue. Which is always a huge blast.

Also, Johnson might have jumped into May's role without a proper election, the election following was a huge support. Johnson's party won massively. I'll freely count that as support for his royal blondness. 

There are many parallels between Farage and Trump in terms of relatability. Obviously, Trump being relatable is more a US thing. But the idea that the Brits don't share the same weaknesses is a bit silly.

Here:

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath.

Which is one of the reasons why Trump won in 2016. He was a huge underdog. Bit this brilliant grumpy old man writes "Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog." Go figure. Completely arbitrary. If that's the general British opinion of Trump (about not being an underdog), than I guess British opinion is a bit skewed.

And this is even more whoah

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

Really? British tabloids are the epitomes of bullies. And the Brits eat it for breakfast. Yeah, broad strokes here.

Or

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

Ahem...Farage. Again, broad strokes.

Edited by goDel
  • Like 2

As an English person I am siding with goDel massively. A lot of the things in the article can be applied to us, the Tories won by a landslide and we have a royal family so should definitely shut the fuck up. If you don’t see Johnson as a bully I have some magic beans to sell you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember commenting on Boris not being a bully, but feel free to put words in my mouth there. Sorry I thought we were talking about a light hearted opinion piece about Trump but if you guys want to get all impassioned and political then crack on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blir said:

I don't remember commenting on Boris not being a bully, but feel free to put words in my mouth there. Sorry I thought we were talking about a light hearted opinion piece about Trump but if you guys want to get all impassioned and political then crack on.

FLOL

Edited by goDel

Must be a bit of Lost in Translation going on here, I'm guessing. A typical Brit might think it's a rather amusing piece of text. Others think it's a load of BS which looks like it wants to put itself on an unreasonable high white horse.

If you want to understand that other side, think of how people would typically think of British tourists. Are they little trolling bullies like Trump? Or are they these civilised creatures that never bully, hate trolling, and love David over Goliath? The Brits may not like Trump for the same reasons people don't like British tourists.