IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Ha. started a thread about a podcast about this and 8 Chan etc. his ears must be burning.

Edit: (Warning- there’s an AT&T advert in the beginning of the podcast that has triggered some people likely causing life long trauma)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/166-country-of-liars/id941907967?i=1000491740644

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, markedone said:

FUCK THE GOP

the news rn (that they are most likely going to be able to ram through their conservative judge) is really depressing

interesting take:

I didn't realise this history of the supreme court at all. Not sure if it's a great idea though, the basic idea of judicial overview of the legislature is good, as long as the terms are narrow enough and clearly defined.

8 hours ago, randomsummer said:

3ffda5383902eeaf93a3d5e827807f7f.png

It's interesting how that movie becomes more and more relevant and depressingly funny with the years.
Who could've ever thought that "Idiocracy (2006) is like a fine wine, tasting more refined as it ages."
That's both ? and ?
This picture sums up my feelings about this nicely:
spacer.png

1 hour ago, caze said:

interesting take:

I didn't realise this history of the supreme court at all. Not sure if it's a great idea though, the basic idea of judicial overview of the legislature is good, as long as the terms are narrow enough and clearly defined.

Interesting. 

judicial review is not nearly as intrusive in every other country as it is [in the US]

FWIW in my home country the constitution explicitly forbids judicial review of laws enacted by parliament. The reasoning is  parliamentarians are elected and judges are not and the former therefore trump the latter.

• Like 1

this kind of thing has got people's anxiety working overtime. it's a kind of psyops even if true or likely. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

Trump’s state and national legal teams are already laying the groundwork for postelection maneuvers that would circumvent the results of the vote count in battleground states. Ambiguities in the Constitution and logic bombs in the Electoral Count Act make it possible to extend the dispute all the way to Inauguration Day, which would bring the nation to a precipice. The Twentieth Amendment is crystal clear that the president’s term in office “shall end” at noon on January 20, but two men could show up to be sworn in. One of them would arrive with all the tools and power of the presidency already in hand.

9 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

It's interesting how that movie becomes more and more relevant and depressingly funny with the years.
Who could've ever thought that "Idiocracy (2006) is like a fine wine, tasting more refined as it ages."
That's both ? and ?
This picture sums up my feelings about this nicely:
spacer.png

Idiocracy doesn't have all the racism that america has though. ? 

• Like 1

this video pretty much sums up why the dems/liberals are so fucking useless against all the fuckery the GOP keep doing

Americans hope you don't get too fucked by the US descent into a even more fascist dystopia. Even if Biden wins and Trumpy doesn't make a fuzz about it, just you know the GOP will not stop with what they are doing. Even if dems have the majority in both houses, they are unable to lead and rule,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

looks like it's very important to fill the supreme court because whatever happens, SCOTUS will have to rule who really won so whoever is put there better remember to do as they're told 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, very honest said:

oh yeah. he's already taken actions and he's continuing to mangle the pinball machine. this is happening.

that wall went up around the white house in july for a reason. they've been planning for a long time. 

Interesting read, as the republican’ts don’t see beyond the end of their own noses, they fail to realize they have liberalized and unified an entire generation against them.  Most of the people running the federal govt. will be dead in 20 years, whereas Generation Z will come into their own in the 2030s, and I can see there will be Hell to pay.  The 2020s might shape up to be the most chaotic America  decade since the 1960s, but it will change the face of this country forever, and as demographics dictate, caucasians will become the minority, forever. I doubt history will look kindly upon the Baby Boomers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/generation-being-raised-hate-america-110031647.html

2 hours ago, joseph said:

Food for thought, not perfect but a good primer: https://medium.com/@mikeselinker/a-wargame-designer-describes-our-four-possible-civil-wars-cf5b2e980099

I'm mentally preparing for martial law. I also expect the U.S. military not to support Trump but not force him out either - I think they will find themselves floundering the entire time the election is contested. There's no precedent to this and ironically the top brass will feel constrained and limited by what they can constitutionally do whereas the Republicans won't hesitate at all to further double-down. The U.S. military won't split up into warring factions either the way they did in the U.S. Civil War or in the Spanish Civil War. It will look more like 1993 Russian unrest or worse the post-Yugoslavian wars or Syria.

Few reasons for this: 1. It's not the small local/state regimental system it was before WWI, it's now a massive federalized force. 2. In the past the U.S. army pretty much stays uninvolved and comes in to restore order after the fighting, and not as a neutral force, as they did in Blair Mountain or during the Bonus Army massacre. 3. Nukes and advanced weapons. The U.S. military's focus will be to secure those, keep troops in line, and secure the country from outside intervention, and in terms of priorities an illegally elected president and thousands of civilian deaths from civil strife is a moot point compared to losing a nuke or fleet of fighter planes or a unit of tanks. 

Instead of Biden vs Trump camps of the military going to war you'll have defections and soldiers going AWOL, maybe some rogue units too, in order to join right-wing militias and the hard right lead law enforcement agencies that will support Trump. A lot of those who oppose Trump will likely resign or go AWOL / refuse orders to deploy for riot control.

There will be vigilante attacks and killings, some violence and pushback in pockets of liberal and left strongholds where Trump supporters will go in armed. Deep red regions will become very scary places for anyone who speaks openly and/or is in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

That's just my 2 cents. Best case scenario we get Florida 2000 again and an ugly media storm and political shitfest before Trump is dragged out and QAnon rhetoric and outright threats from the right will be 10x worst than it is now. A lot of politicians will get death threats or actually attacked. I just hope that the death toll from shootings, bombings, and police brutality in the streets are minimal. 

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 2

13 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Interesting read, as the republican’ts don’t see beyond the end of their own noses, they fail to realize they have liberalized and unified an entire generation against them.  Most of the people running the federal govt. will be dead in 20 years, whereas Generation Z will come into their own in the 2030s, and I can see there will be Hell to pay.  The 2020s might shape up to be the most chaotic America  decade since the 1960s, but it will change the face of this country forever, and as demographics dictate, caucasians will become the minority, forever. I doubt history will look kindly upon the Baby Boomers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/generation-being-raised-hate-america-110031647.html

The verbose, priggish tone weirds me out. I do like your take, but what I'm reading here is something between a puff piece and a watered-down right-wing call-to-arms via some faint dog whistling.

15 hours ago, ignatius said:

that wall went up around the white house in july for a reason. they've been planning for a long time. 

barr was ready to go with pinning unrest on antifa on may 31. george floyd was killed on may 25. it's like the protests came earlier in the year than they expected, but they figured let's get the antifa stuff going, priming the public, demonizing the nebulous label. it's odd, george floyd, antifa? it was out of nowhere, to everyone, in may, but that label is perfect if you're looking to quash protests over an authoritarian coup. 

i have no trouble imagining barr announcing martial law due to a contested election. trump's nuts. hannity has said that to people. trump and him talk on the phone daily and hannity tells people he's unwell. i expect this administration to go down kicking and screaming. 

Edited by very honest

In unguarded moments with senior aides, President Trump has maintained that Black Americans have mainly themselves to blame in their struggle for equality, hindered more by lack of initiative than societal impediments, according to current and former U.S. officials.

After phone calls with Jewish lawmakers, Trump has muttered that Jews “are only in it for themselves” and “stick together” in an ethnic allegiance that exceeds other loyalties, officials said.

Trump’s private musings about Hispanics match the vitriol he has displayed in public, and his antipathy to Africa is so ingrained that when first lady Melania Trump planned a 2018 trip to that continent he railed that he “could never understand why she would want to go there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-race-record/2020/09/23/332b0b68-f10f-11ea-b796-2dd09962649c_story.html

big T dropping facts 

• Farnsworth 1

On 9/16/2020 at 12:41 AM, whosebrian said:

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/Longreads_2016/10/2016_43_kaiser_trump.jpg

the walrus of hate

On 9/16/2020 at 2:56 AM, Brisbot said:

I still don't understand how Trump gets away with everything. Everyone around him could go to jail for one reason or another, but not him

he scarificed a big-mac to mammon..

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, zero said:

I've been saying something similar to that for years - the constant media/press coverage of every stupid thing he does is largely to blame. donnie's in narcissist heaven, spotlight is on him 24/7. 

in narcissist heaven everyone looks like ivanka, and theyre like totally not related, so you know boys will be boys

9 hours ago, very honest said:

barr was ready to go with pinning unrest on antifa on may 30. george floyd was killed on may 25. it's like the protests came earlier in the year than they expected, but they figured let's get the antifa stuff going, priming the public, demonizing the nebulous label. it's odd, george floyd, antifa? it was out of nowhere, to everyone, in may, but that label is perfect if you're looking to quash protests over an authoritarian coup. 

i have no trouble imagining barr announcing martial law due to a contested election. trump's nuts. hannity has said that to people. trump and him talk on the phone daily and hannity tells people he's unwell. i expect this administration to go down kicking and screaming. 

should people abandon the label antifa then to pull the rug out, OR get celebs to say, 'I am antifa' say beyonce, 'I am antifa'? which is the best way forward?