IGNORED

angry rant about a particular drum break

lol. This speaks to me. I always kinda hated the think break. Yeah some of the tracks with it are good but those pitched-up yelps annoy the hell out of me too. Amen is classier.

Amen can be really grating if you listen to a lot of the early UK hardcore tracks from 92-93, I imagine they only had access to the first bar of the break because you hear that double kick pattern way too much:

https://youtu.be/gLXfyazw8z0

The fat kick part of the break is so much better:

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THAT "YOU BENEDICT" THING IN THE THINK BREAK SOUNDS GOOD

It's "YOU BAD, HANK", you fucking n00b.

You're like a 1980's bigot, telling the Japanese they should go back to Vietnam.

Give the vocal grunts a break and go pick on a drum machine if you're such a tough guy.

You're like a 1980's bigot, telling the Japanese they should go back to Vietnam.

That being said, credit to Mike Paradinas, who is the one who told me it was "You bad, Hank", back on the old mu phorum.  So I've only known what the fuck James Brown was yelling for like 12 years or so...

So if you really didn't know it was James Brown yelling, "You bad, Hank", I pass Mike P's wisdom onto your pubeless balls~~~

:mu-ziq:

I think I understand OP 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

very fucking innovative, next Aphex bruh 

I guess you're taking the piss on this tune. Having never heard it, thanks for linking. That's a pretty nice tune.

To be honest I always heard "You better listen"...

I think I understand OP 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

very fucking innovative, next Aphex bruh 

I guess you're taking the piss on this tune. Having never heard it, thanks for linking. That's a pretty nice tune.

Yeah cool track :music: !

weird I always hear "anyone who dares complain about this break is probably dumb"

no, you've all got it wrong. it was early morning when they were recording the song, and it's james brown yelling "eggs benedict" after the engineer announced he was going on a breakfast run

guys guys, its clearly 'chewbacca'

I deeply apologize that I did not do the proper research for my half-serious rambling, I will resign from IDM forever. I've turned in my two week's notice at the IDM gas station. I have brought great shame onto my IDM family, like my IDM wife and my IDM son and my IDM daughter and my IDM dog. But most of all i apologize to my IDM mentor, Gene Bubblefarts. He trained me to be who I am today, but I have failed him. May his soul rest in peace. I only hope in my next life I can make it up to you, Gene.

*common knowledge post*

I deeply apologize that I did not do the proper research for my half-serious rambling, I will resign from IDM forever. I've turned in my two week's notice at the IDM gas station. I have brought great shame onto my IDM family, like my IDM wife and my IDM son and my IDM daughter and my IDM dog. But most of all i apologize to my IDM mentor, Gene Bubblefarts. He trained me to be who I am today, but I have failed him. May his soul rest in peace. I only hope in my next life I can make it up to you, Gene.

Luckily Gene Bubblefarts will be signed to Planet Mu next year, so you have some street cred.

That's actually the other part of the break--  "You bad sucka":

James: "You bad sucka"  Lyn: "He's baaad"

Here's the others, which everyone has heard 7000 times:

Hank: "You bad!"  James: "You bad, Hank!"  Hank: "You bad."  James: "You bad, Hank."

The YAH WOW

The TOROTOT

The whole track is sample heaven, though.  So many good parts.  Actually, just like Amen Brother, the whole track is solid.

I used to think those breaks were lame when I was younger, but now I liken their use in jungle to the use of distorted guitars for rock music. It's just part of the aesthetic to the genre.

But because of this thread, I'm now thinking about cutting out that scream and placing it in other breaks as a surprise...

The sample reminds me of those hip house tracks in the late eighties. Cant find any examples though.

Instead ill just quote these. Also love the eod track, btw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJleiL3r0c

Guess someone will not like this particular track!

And this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Jjss0AD6g

pretty much killed it in this one too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQUbE

I used to think those breaks were lame when I was younger, but now I liken their use in jungle to the use of distorted guitars for rock music. It's just part of the aesthetic to the genre.

But because of this thread, I'm now thinking about cutting out that scream and placing it in other breaks as a surprise...

Yah, that's a pretty cool idea about using the Think scream(s) on other breaks.  Several weeks ago on YouTube I watched some videos where metal guitar was played without distortion, and it actually sounds pretty badass.  It's amazing how subtle changes in aesthetics can make a pretty significant impact.  Like at 3 AM this morning I was listening to Japanese music from the 1930's~1950's with my girlfriend, and we were blown away.  It was influenced by western big band and pre-jazz but still had the stiffness of certain types of traditional Japanese music, which actually confused my brain, because it doesn't really have that genre-space created.

Subtle changes, man...  Subtle changes.  Like if all the WATMM dudes grow one of those pencil thin mustaches right above the lip, we'd probably look fucking insane.  Especially as a group.

So adding the Think break yellings to other breaks could be as ?-level as this:

johnwaters460.jpg

Like at 3 AM this morning I was listening to Japanese music from the 1930's~1950's with my girlfriend, and we were blown away.  It was influenced by western big band and pre-jazz but still had the stiffness of certain types of traditional Japanese music, which actually confused my brain, because it doesn't really have that genre-space created.

Links plz, sounds great!

• 1 month later...

Like at 3 AM this morning I was listening to Japanese music from the 1930's~1950's with my girlfriend, and we were blown away.  It was influenced by western big band and pre-jazz but still had the stiffness of certain types of traditional Japanese music, which actually confused my brain, because it doesn't really have that genre-space created.

Links plz, sounds great!

I can't find the crazy ass ones from that night, but here's one of them from 1930:

Some of the lyrics are like, "I'm wearing a mini skirt with my bob, searching for love.....  drink a lot and we dance and we might want to kiss, then later drive in the night suburbs"  

more edit  (if you listen to the following whole thing, you can experience the MAD DROP at 1:35, then these fucking hardcore Japanese spirit legend comes out):

^ that trad-jap jazz fusion is indeed fascinating and a little confusing.

These little signature bits are the best parts of the breaks.

Archived