IGNORED

GAK Love!

killabyte11

Been rediscovering this one the past couple days.  This release doesn't get much appreciation from what I can tell.  Apparently one of RDJ's earliest offerings...according to wiki - "The album is rumored to be an imitation of the classic Warp artist LFO - recorded possibly around 1989-1990."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAK_(EP)

in the early days of watmm there was indeed some serious love for this ep... i come back to it every once in a while. i have to be in the right mood to listen to GAK 1 but the others are good just about any time (maybe that's just my love for minimal beat patterns, idk). the p2p copy of GAK i used to listen to had a CD glitch right in the middle of GAK 2 when it all breaks down, and i almost never discovered it was different to the original!

and what about GAK 4? easily as good as pancake lizard. see this is why it's so important to get those rare/obscure little eps.

I love how grimy and dreamlike the tracks sound at the same time. Particularly GAK 2 and 3.

Also GAK 3 used to be my ringtone for some time.

Back in 2002/3 someone on this crappy Dutch version of eBay called Marktplaats had GAK 12"s for sale for very cheap, and the pic with it was about 10 or 12 of just those GAK records across a floor. I remember emailing him and arranged a deal to buy one but chickened out because I assumed this HAD to be a hack (I thought he just photoshopped that picture). 

Too bad. I did find the CD at one point though, always loved this EP.

One of those records I had but now don't have, with no recollection of how I lost it..... I seem to recall buying this when it was released in Berwick Street wih no idea it was AFX and being nonplussed, but I'll give those links a listen today.

Edit: actually it must've been a couple of years after it came out. So under the radar at the time it kicked around the shops for that long.

I picked up my copy at sister ray Berwick St too. Pre-internet the rarer stuff often hung around quite a bit longer.

Was never a huge fan of gak though, ended up selling it for £30 last week funnily enough.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I picked up my copy at sister ray Berwick St too. Pre-internet the rarer stuff often hung around quite a bit longer.

Was never a huge fan of gak though, ended up selling it for £30 last week funnily enough.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Got my vinyl copy at Sister Ray as well

True about rarities hanging around pre-net. Also pre vinyl revival too I guess, in the mid-90s buying anything on wax was minority interest stuff, so the 'competition' for it was less. If AFX had produced exclusive vinyl for shows in 1998 I'm not sure anybody would've really cared too much.

True about rarities hanging around pre-net. Also pre vinyl revival too I guess, in the mid-90s buying anything on wax was minority interest stuff, so the 'competition' for it was less. If AFX had produced exclusive vinyl for shows in 1998 I'm not sure anybody would've really cared too much.

'cept he was releasing exclusive vinyls (via Rephlex) back in the '90s - the alternate Joyrex EP pressings, Universal Indicator, etc.

Archived