IGNORED

Anyone got info / pics on the bank?

Consequences

It never existed at that address, as the the bank wasn't in stoke newington and also "98 stoke newington" isn't an address :)

Funny, because I mailed Richard a parcel there, which he confirmed he got (and he himself provided the address). Perhaps it's no longer an address since the building got tore down?

I found this a good while back, and it was said to have been a picture of the bank before it was destroyed and replaced.  Dunno if it's true.  

oX8mXVC.jpg

Yep, that's the one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Google Maps disagrees with your assertion there is no "98 Stoke Newington" in London...

On the other side of town from Elephant and Castle.

Ah, the old Elephant and Castle...

Recall he said he lived around the corner from the Ministry of Sound? Newington Court is the street that runs behind MoS...

Please trust me JR, I fully believe you mailed something to him while either he or his mates still lived in stoke newington but the bank was defo in elephant & castle which is somewhere else, and also doesn't exist anymore (the bank, not e&c)

'98 Stoke newington' means nothing on its own, could be Stoke newington Road, or Stoke newington high Street, or some other 98 in some road in stoke newington.

And the bank wasn't in stoke newington, but aphex did live in stoke newington at some point. Stoke newington Stoke newington.

I lived in stoke newington for about 4 years and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about Stoke newington. This is the most times anyone has written Stoke newington in a single post in the history of watmm

Please trust me JR, I fully believe you mailed something to him while either he or his mates still lived in stoke newington but the bank was defo in elephant & castle which is somewhere else, and also doesn't exist anymore (the bank, not e&c)

'98 Stoke newington' means nothing on its own, could be Stoke newington Road, or Stoke newington high Street, or some other 98 in some road in stoke newington.

And the bank wasn't in stoke newington, but aphex did live in stoke newington at some point. Stoke newington Stoke newington.

I lived in stoke newington for about 4 years and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about Stoke newington. This is the most times anyone has written Stoke newington in a single post in the history of watmm

LOL, OK - I trust what you're saying, but I wonder now if he was in the bank, or in that shared flat with Goon and co. - I did a quick search of my old emails to see if I had it there, but it apparently is so old (1999ish ~ 2003ish) it's probably in my old "joyrex@ev1.net" emails, which I think are archived to CDR. I hope that disc hasn't rotted...

I thought the general understanding is he lived in the bank from RDJ-era (1996) until post-DrukQs (2001). I *think* I sent that parcel in 2002 (it was a live recording of one of his shows; can't recall offhand). So was he still maintaining an address at the flat, and living in the bank (sounds like something Richard would do to keep nosey fans off the scent)...

LOL, OK - I trust what you're saying, but I wonder now if he was in the bank, or in that shared flat with Goon and co. - I did a quick search of my old emails to see if I had it there, but it apparently is so old (1999ish ~ 2003ish) it's probably in my old "joyrex@ev1.net" emails, which I think are archived to CDR. I hope that disc hasn't rotted...

I thought the general understanding is he lived in the bank from RDJ-era (1996) until post-DrukQs (2001). I *think* I sent that parcel in 2002 (it was a live recording of one of his shows; can't recall offhand). So was he still maintaining an address at the flat, and living in the bank (sounds like something Richard would do to keep nosey fans off the scent)...

u sure it wasn't newington causeway? 89-93 newington causeway is where the new estate agents has been put up, and also its the address mentioned in those council documents that aquagak posted (nice find)

u sure it wasn't newington causeway? 89-93 newington causeway is where the new estate agents has been put up, and also its the address mentioned in those council documents that aquagak posted (nice find)

I distinctly remember it being "98 Stoke Newington" (don't recall the rest of the address or the postal code), but hard to say 100% after all these years. I think Amen Warrior knows the score, being a local and all. Surprised you never ran into him (or did you...?)

If you can find the post code, it will give us street address!

Does anyone have images of the inside? I got this awesome pic of a bank vault full of synths...in my head. Would be interdasting to compare it to reality!

Ironically somewhat I have been looking at getting an apartment in Strata SE1 which is right near MoS at Elephant & Castle.

Interestingly the Gaurdian lists a LLoyds Bank that was closed / sold as "Lloyds TSB England & Wales 133 Stoke Newington, Stoke Newington, UK" ie no road also. Maybe banks were listed differently in London? That was in 2011.

Does anyone have images of the inside? I got this awesome pic of a bank vault full of synths...in my head. Would be interdasting to compare it to reality!

Ironically somewhat I have been looking at getting an apartment in Strata SE1 which is right near MoS at Elephant & Castle.

Richard mentioned at one time he had the Donkey Rhubear costumes in the upper storey windows staring out, before they eventually dissolved due to "caustic sweat".

Interestingly the Gaurdian lists a LLoyds Bank that was closed / sold as "Lloyds TSB England & Wales 133 Stoke Newington, Stoke Newington, UK" ie no road also. Maybe banks were listed differently in London? That was in 2011.

I was always curious what branch the bank was before Richard decided to make it a flat... that being said, I suppose he had to have a proper bathroom put in (with a shower or tub) since I can't imagine any commercial building having more than a basic toilet and sink.

This is getting into Twoism levels of fanboyism...

You're conflating two different things.  Stoke Newington which is in north London and Newington Causeway which is the road in SE1 with the bank.  I have vague memories of one of the braindancers living in Stoke Newington at some point as well though.

Source: I am London.

Fuck... should have been preserved as a historical landmark.

I agree, some interesting points from the council meeting:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s23297/Newington%20Causeway%20Report.pdf

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Site location and description 

6..."The site is currently occupied by a 4 storey building, originally built for banking purposes, though more recently converted to a residential use. It dates to the early twentieth century, is not listed, nor is it of significant value given it does not form part of a historical grouping of buildings."....

Wish someone had taken the opportunity to register it in the heritage listing! Architecturally it its quite a beautiful building. 

Sadly the architecture company involved in the new deign scheme had no idea of the cultural significance of this building.

Planning history

13. "There is no relevant formal planning history for the site. The site was bought by the current owner in March 2006 who advises that at the point of sale the property appeared to have been unlawfully occupied for some time as a dwelling or dwellings, though the use was never regularised and the site is now vacant. Therefore, historically the site had a lawful A2 (Bank) use. The existing floorspace is 490sq.m over 4 floors (or 122.5sq.m per floor) with upper floors as ancillary B1 office space (367.5sq.m)."

Unlawful occupation of the building... 

Would be interesting to dig up the original floor plans, they would be in a public registry somewhere in London I imagine.

50 "Ministry of Sound, Gaunt Street: In the course of consideration of this application several submissions have been made objecting to the development."

looks as though Ministry of Sound fiercely objected to the new proposal

Interesting find! Definitely matches the narrative. I'd disagree about it being *that* beautiful, but certainly better than the PoS that has replaced it, and much more significance if RDJ really did live there.

I distinctly remember it being "98 Stoke Newington" (don't recall the rest of the address or the postal code), but hard to say 100% after all these years. I think Amen Warrior knows the score, being a local and all. Surprised you never ran into him (or did you...?)

Nah I lived there 08-12 so he was long gone, didn't even know he lived there until I read the interview with the graphic designer guy who lived with them. Used to regularly run into stewart lee though...aka the aphex of stand up comedy :D

The e&c castle bank was an hsbc I think?

Richard mentioned at one time he had the Donkey Rhubear costumes in the upper storey windows staring out, before they eventually dissolved due to "caustic sweat".

I was always curious what branch the bank was before Richard decided to make it a flat... that being said, I suppose he had to have a proper bathroom put in (with a shower or tub) since I can't imagine any commercial building having more than a basic toilet and sink.

This is getting into Twoism levels of fanboyism...

There was an HSBC just up the road, number 82 I think, so you can rule them out, unless they moved into the big tower (Eileen House) and left their standalone building behind.

Fuck... should have been preserved as a historical landmark.

I agree, some interesting points from the council meeting:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s23297/Newington%20Causeway%20Report.pdf

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Site location and description 

6..."The site is currently occupied by a 4 storey building, originally built for banking purposes, though more recently converted to a residential use. It dates to the early twentieth century, is not listed, nor is it of significant value given it does not form part of a historical grouping of buildings."....

Wish someone had taken the opportunity to register it in the heritage listing! Architecturally it its quite a beautiful building. 

Sadly the architecture company involved in the new deign scheme had no idea of the cultural significance of this building.

Planning history

13. "There is no relevant formal planning history for the site. The site was bought by the current owner in March 2006 who advises that at the point of sale the property appeared to have been unlawfully occupied for some time as a dwelling or dwellings, though the use was never regularised and the site is now vacant. Therefore, historically the site had a lawful A2 (Bank) use. The existing floorspace is 490sq.m over 4 floors (or 122.5sq.m per floor) with upper floors as ancillary B1 office space (367.5sq.m)."

Unlawful occupation of the building... 

Would be interesting to dig up the original floor plans, they would be in a public registry somewhere in London I imagine.

50 "Ministry of Sound, Gaunt Street: In the course of consideration of this application several submissions have been made objecting to the development."

looks as though Ministry of Sound fiercely objected to the new proposal

Interesting find! Definitely matches the narrative. I'd disagree about it being *that* beautiful, but certainly better than the PoS that has replaced it, and much more significance if RDJ really did live there.

Point 13 basically says it all, really. So Richard moved sometime prior to March 2006. I wonder what, if anything did Richard leave behind?

clissold crescent is the stoke newington address afaik, i get the bus from stoke newington number 2017 through it every morning. there is a chicken shop called chick pizz which is fairly infamous. it's not a bank tho.

Archived