IGNORED

Anyone got info / pics on the bank?

Consequences

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to google maps archive

These would have been "shot" when he was in the studio. Notice the open windows...

3ZjTFZj.jpg

ShWLl4P.jpg

Typical of RDJ to squat in a building with thousands of pounds of studio equipment with him...that rebel

I have vague memories of one of the braindancers living in Stoke Newington at some point as well though.

Well, he lived with global goon when he was making mangle 11, I believe? That would line up with joyrex's timeline of the address being post-drukqs 2002.

Yep, global goon lived in stoke newington: https://web.archive.org/web/20100925091743/http://myuzyk.net/overflow/Text/Ten-Questions-Global-Goon

hmm this page says the bank was in stoke newington - https://musicbrainz.org/place/7851faf3-724b-4393-8387-e93d56cb4ec0 

Man I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about. whatever..

In my early onset alzheimers I've decided Stoke Newington was pre druqks. I base this on the fact that I was a lot more of an obsessive in the 90s (than 00s) and swear he lived in SN when I was mad into all things Phex. Will try and dig through some old interviews later if I can be fucked. Not sure I care though but a jaunt down memory lane could be alright.

Edit: if I had to guess pub quizz stylee though I'd say Stoke Newington was SAW2 era. Bank was Richard D. James era +

What I don't understand about the bank is how he could afford it in the first place. How much money could he feasibly have been making in the late 90s to early 2000s? For a while I assumed that Aphex was selling huge amounts of records but then I saw a statistic saying that by the time drukqs came out his UK sales were only at 500,000.

He probably could have made a lot from the Windowlicker era, I don't know really. I know absolutely nothing about channels of income for artists but Aphex always seemed too obscure to me to be really pulling in good money. If you gave any artist these days the level of success he had when he move into the bank, I doubt they'd be able to afford it.

Don't reckon it would have cost that much. I used to soundboy in a club that was in an old bank vault. They were chuffed we wanted the building. The only other people in the building were small man and dog operations upstairs. Before that the only money they could get for the place was a once in a while "doctor who" shoot. We were paying rent on the place and our temporary license only let us do an event once a month so we weren't turning a lot over post DJ costs.

Edit: any one who's run nights knows the money don't exactly stack up!

Don't reckon it would have cost that much. I used to soundboy in a club that was in an old bank vault. They were chuffed we wanted the building. The only other people in the building were small man and dog operations upstairs. Before that the only money they could get for the place was a once in a while "doctor who" shoot. We were paying rent on the place and our temporary license only let us do an event once a month so we weren't turning a lot over post DJ costs.

That's just not what I expected at all. It's such a big building for one person to rent, who might not have had a steady income. Maybe it's that, having only reached the age of renting/buying in the past two years or so, I don' t understand how comparatively good the rates might have been back in the day. These days they're just fucking disgraceful.

That's just not what I expected at all. It's such a big building for one person to rent, who might not have had a steady income. Maybe it's that, having only reached the age of renting/buying in the past two years or so, I don' t understand how comparatively good the rates might have been back in the day. These days they're just fucking disgraceful.

I always thought there was a load of them there to be honest. Don't think it was just Richards.

Aphex started well within the era where artists could still make an absolute fuck load of cash out of releasing music. Have you seen the videos of photek and source direct in the mid 90s going around in brand new Ferraris and BMW's off the back of a few 12" drum n bass singles?

I think aphex probably made enough cash to never have to work again by Windowlicker.

Also stoke newington and e&c were dumps (or at least seen that way) in the 90s and most of the 00s. Prices in stoke newington only really went nuclear after about 2012, I think e&c is still on the rise now that the shopping centre is going to be redeveloped. Gentrification.

Things were different in the 90s.

Archived