IGNORED

Clark - Death Peak

lawrenke

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

listening now. Butterfly Prowler bounces along and Slap Drones is good. The last piece on the album is a bit disjointed. It's more like three or four pieces joined together.

And there are vocal samples on nearly all the tracks. Catastrophe Anthem has some school kids singing 'We are your ancestors'.

so the album artwork is  a not very good copy of the syro fold face?

yeah! also Clark uses signature Aphex sounds such as kick drums and snares on this album, which you can hear in Aphex releases going as far back as the first Analogue Bubblebath smh

I like some of the more melodic parts the most. Like the intro and some outros of some songs, they sound midi and organic at the same time, really interesting. But otherwise I'm disappointed again, sorry Clark. I think that I must come to terms that he went in a direction after Totems Flare that's not for me and that's fine. What bothers me is the timidness of everything. Nothing plays the role of a front melody, of a crazy mothafocka in front of the beat, everything is subdued and contained. I understand that this is something that all current alternative electronic producers do, it is the "in" direction - no catchy choruses, techno beats, time stretched stuff - like Actress and Arca. But Clark's niche was always reimagining the 90s with a hefty dose of dirty distortions and when he left this legacy behind him, he became just another Berlin techno hipster. 4/4 beats that don't really bang your socks off, arpeggiated melodies that all sound alike. I still have great respect for Clark, I even opened for him when he played in Slovenia and he DID bang my socks off with four fours live (and was super nice in backstage), so maybe he creates for live audiences? But still, I probably won't listen to this album again. :(

What bothers me is the timidness of everything.

Absolutely spot on, that was the word I was searching for ... It's not wild enough to freak out to, and not chilled out enough to relax to - It's a weird timid middle ground. The Chris Rea of IDM ?

Glad I'm not the only one thinking of Catastroph Anthem as being a cheesy piece...sounds like the soundtrack to a crappy apocalypse movie, plus it goes on forever...still have to listen to the end of the album but so far this track killed the flow imo.

And yeah about the "timidness" of it I couldn't agree more. The album title is totally not fitting with the actual feel I get from the tracks, it's just not as menacing as I thought it would be. Not hating on the album but it's a bit...strange to say the least.

o god clark what have you done. dont even know where to begin,  this is really bad shit compared to his other stuff (sr clark if im to hard but this is a harsh forum)  
Butterfly Prowler is a great banger but dont we have enough of this stuff ? and whats going on with the 4/4 kick, where are the real beats ? cant believe this guy made one of my fav. electronic records and now converted into a mainstream berghain artist. 

o god clark what have you done. dont even know where to begin,  this is really bad shit compared to his other stuff (sr clark if im to hard but this is a harsh forum)  

Butterfly Prowler is a great banger but dont we have enough of this stuff ? and whats going on with the 4/4 kick, where are the real beats ? cant believe this guy made one of my fav. electronic records and now converted into a mainstream berghain artist. 

Clark is just making different music now.

The kind of stuff he made when people could stroke their beards while nodding in IDM approval for Clarence Park are long gone.

The kind of stuff he made when people could stroke their beards while nodding in IDM approval for Clarence Park are long gone.

i know but its not an excuse for a bad record is it ?

i know but its not an excuse for a bad record is it ?

No, not at all.

converted into a mainstream berghain artist.

saw him at Berghain few years ago (when he did the stuff with the oscilloscope graphics) and tbqh it was pretty bad at the time already.

like in the entire room, he was the one person really into it, fist pumping and all.

converted into a mainstream berghain artist.

saw him at Berghain few years ago (when he did the stuff with the oscilloscope graphics) and tbqh it was pretty bad at the time already.

like in the entire room, he was the one person really into it, fist pumping and all.

really ? he is actually mind-blowing live 

If you look at say an artist like Clark, his earlier work now bares little resemblance to what he makes now. If you liked his stuff back then, you probably won't like it now. It's made for a different audience. The casual dance music fan. I don't think he's aiming his stuff at people who inhabit this forum. That's a minority crowd.

The Coldplay of IDM.

It's like Tomorrow's Harvest - an album that sounded like it had been created using some data algorithm that checked all the relevant boxes in order to appeal to the widest audience possible. Artists like BOC, Clark and so forth don't need the approval of the fringe crowd, they picked them up way back in the early 00's. An album like Death Peak or TH is for people who maybe only listen to three or four electronic albums in an entire year. And there are lots of these people.

Archived