IGNORED

General dissastisfaction

Ifeelspace

It's Friday night, I've had a few beers, I've spent some time with an old friend who is 10005% more successful in life than me.

I do not begrudge him his wealth or the happiness he exudes, but it has got me thinking....

Does anyone have any pro tips for either;

(i)  becoming a success; or

(ii) learning to be happy with what is

I'm going to listen to BOC and become all nostalgic and shit.

It's Friday night, I've had a few beers, I've spent some time with an old friend who is 10005% more successful in life than me.

I do not begrudge him his wealth or the happiness he exudes, but it has got me thinking....

Dude. You are just fine. Srsly. And Remember:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

ha

there is no substitute for hard/smart work. taking risks and conquering your fears is the only way to get somewhere you couldn't in your current situation (excluding sheer luck). but you gotta be smart about it too, not just push blindly and act without thinking. however it's hard to be smart about something you're not familiar with/don't quite understand yet, so you gotta learn as you go and hope you don't fuck up too much along the way. it's both a chicken-and-egg situation and also a balancing act, and it's very difficult obv or otherwise everyone would be "successful". the starting place is to do new things and put yourself outside your comfort zone.

what does success mean to you, anyway? define your terms.

what helps me at least distancing myself from the feeling of comparing to others, and how i view myself amidst the social ranking etc, etc (which i think should be treated separately from our desire for success or how we view ourselves), is by re-contextualizing myself and my life by imagining myself living different lives in fantasy worlds... not what you'd imagine though, not like the high life or living my dreams, but actually like if i woke up and i was all of the sudden a middle-aged truck driver in the midwest, with a fridge full of comfort food and domestic beers, and a family in a small home, working the hard grind and coming home to family/dog etc, planning trips a few times a year, etc.. basically, almost everyone in the world. That model is an example of the average human, more or less, and i usually have to remind myself that people that are so well off or living luxury or that have the ability to follow the dreams and make a living from it are actually NOT the norm. Given that logic, you can actually stretch your mind, and connect a few dots to build a case for your subconscious that it's actually more human to be getting by with an average paycheck fulfilling one of societies' needs, doing it well, living your life outside of work and contributing to the human race. :) i know it's not quite a fancy or colorful sounding vision, but the more you are "okay" with living an average life, the more I think you will find happiness, and actually the more you will find it within you to grow any way you wish, whether that's achieving higher success or further happiness and fulfillment with the current stage your're in. Once you're happy with your current situation, you can go anywhere.... (then again, someone like tony robbins might say, once you're angry enough and frustrated enough with your current situation, then you can finally motivate yourself to make extreme change-- which i won't argue with... I think both ends are true.. it's the middle of the road-- content-ness/numbness that breeds a lack of motivation for positive change). 

Anyway, that was just my stream of conscious rant.. hope it helped :)

I'm pretty damn far from any definition of success but I'm pretty happy overall. 

If I had to say what makes me happy, well I have stupid little projects I'm obsessed with, goals I'm working toward, and things I'd like to share with the world someday when they're good and ready. Also I know what I'm worthless at, which include many basic functions of adulthood, but I also know what I'm pretty good at, which include a number of difficult to define things that I don't see exhibited in many people at all, and which make me feel like I have a place in the world, a narrow niche to fill at least.

Perhaps most importantly of all, I've managed to convince or delude myself that I'm not interested in the spoils of success and rather am obsessed with some woolly notions of aesthetic or intellectual satisfaction that have little or no dependency on the approval of anyone else.

i think western capitalism makes it pretty easy really, in theory at least. money equals power, and power obviously equals freedom, and with freedom you increase your chances of satisfaction with life. so i dunno what success is exactly, but definitely do try to get a lot of money.

This isn't true though (;

Archived