IGNORED

Sylenth1 preset used in Ex Machina Soundtrack

Shockerbrown

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a hater or anything.  There's some other good examples of preset (ab)use in the comments there.

Continue exploring

:sup:

Haha it's ok. I was joking around. Thx for the link. 

Someone with more discipline than me should start a website or blog that just catalogues presets used in mainstream, high profile soundtracks and albums.  Kindof like whosampled.com but for lazy use of presets

As opposed to deliberate use of familiar presets because of their cultural associations.  Because really, I don't see any difference between deliberately using, say, a DX-7 electric piano preset or that E-Mu shakuhachi sample in 2017 is any different than deliberately using something like the Amen break or a 303 in 2017 because in all cases they've been around so song and are so ubiquitous that they have all kinds of extramusical meaning and that can be really useful.

You know who was probably happy to hear that preset in the movie? The person that made it. The people that program preset sounds for synths are usually pretty excited to hear someone use them.

That's a good point!

You know who was probably happy to hear that preset in the movie? The person that made it. The people that program preset sounds for synths are usually pretty excited to hear someone use them.

You're absolutely right.

BTW, did you know the Sylenth1 is the work of one single Dutch guy? Pretty neat huh? 

I used to have a slight anti preset sentiment but I always use them as starting points with synths - if someone has already programmed a sound that I would/could make and use, or done the majority of the work then why waste the effort recreating it???? I also get my creative flow on by getting inspired by the instrument making nice sounds and I will often finish tracks well before I have finally checked out all the presets because something sounded good when auditioning them.

Then it happened....

I have about 12 presets of mine in the factory content of the OP-1 synth.

Suddenly I feel really protective of my sounds and as Oscar said, I would freak if I knew my sounds were used in anything, never mind a big budget movie!!! I would love to know that people are using them. I knew that I had a chance of having some sounds included as a beta of the OS leaked and they were in that. I honestly got a bit paranoid on how they would be rated by the users. The new presets was one of the major features in the new OS and I started thinking 'oh shit, every synth users claims to hate presets and not use them' so all I will see will be negativity towards them!!! Thankfully they seemed to be a welcome addition to the synth, judging by the comments and reviews people have made. I did see a post of someone saying they loaded the new OS and spent ages playing with the new Arp seq and my 303 patch and had loads of fun. Made my day :)

The sylenth preset though is a whole extra layer with the sequence data as well as the sound. Surely those types of presets on synths are demonstrating the capability and are meant to be tweaked to your own. Playing them as they come seems beyond lazy and not something i think I could do as a musician.

I used to have a slight anti preset sentiment but I always use them as starting points with synths - if someone has already programmed a sound that I would/could make and use, or done the majority of the work then why waste the effort recreating it???? I also get my creative flow on by getting inspired by the instrument making nice sounds and I will often finish tracks well before I have finally checked out all the presets because something sounded good when auditioning them.

Then it happened....

I have about 12 presets of mine in the factory content of the OP-1 synth.

Suddenly I feel really protective of my sounds and as Oscar said, I would freak if I knew my sounds were used in anything, never mind a big budget movie!!! I would love to know that people are using them. I knew that I had a chance of having some sounds included as a beta of the OS leaked and they were in that. I honestly got a bit paranoid on how they would be rated by the users. The new presets was one of the major features in the new OS and I started thinking 'oh shit, every synth users claims to hate presets and not use them' so all I will see will be negativity towards them!!! Thankfully they seemed to be a welcome addition to the synth, judging by the comments and reviews people have made. I did see a post of someone saying they loaded the new OS and spent ages playing with the new Arp seq and my 303 patch and had loads of fun. Made my day :)

The sylenth preset though is a whole extra layer with the sequence data as well as the sound. Surely those types of presets on synths are demonstrating the capability and are meant to be tweaked to your own. Playing them as they come seems beyond lazy and not something i think I could do as a musician.

This.

If you have turned a sound from your music into a preset, sold it for use in commercial software, have you used a preset? 

If you have turned a sound from your music into a preset, sold it for use in commercial software, have you used a preset?

You most certainly have although you have the knowledge that you used it first - well that's my coping mechanism anyway......

It would be right to give credit to the sound's creator in this instance, no doubt.

Archived