IGNORED

Your favourite AE artwork?

Sam

EP7, Confield, Draft, Untilted

So basically the non-TDR stuff

It's true... chiastic and envane are really good too, so I'm not trying to just shit on TDR

But seriously the 4 mentioned above are the absolute tops

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draft 7.30, if I had to choose one. Although CGI, it has the appeal and complexity of a living, breathing organism. One of Alex Rutterford's works (along with the Gantz Graf vid) if I'm not mistaken. Haven't seen any Ae LP/EP cover artwork as sophisticated before or since.

Envane and Chiastic Slide tho...either one of them would be a close second. They remind of graphics from the earliest full 3D computer games, like Continuum or Another World.

draft is cool but doesn't fit the music at all tbh.

zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg

draft artwork = spacious, bright, "expressionist", pompous / angelic

draft musics = intimate (almost claustrophobic), dark, rather monochrome, focus on the micro

IMHO.

the greenish / glow-in-the-dark-without-the-glow color scheme is ok tho. cassette version fits.

As it seems that the most recent artworks did not raise too much enthusiasm among you (except for ae_live), I must admit that the circles and squares of elseq have fascinated me right from the start.

Last year I wrote this:

"the immediate aspect of elseq artwork is the systematic destruction of the principle of balance. I don't think you could have a series of circles and squares in a more unstable logic, as has built our "sense of space." There is a perverse attention in all this.".

...mhh, that "systematic destruction" sound quite pathetic but the concept remains valid.

Yet today, in seeing the tDR press that assembles all the elseq graphics, I recognize a sense of overall balance.

I must also admit to not being a big fan of Draft7.30 artwork: overly graphic and maximalist, with unnecessarily hints of perspective: personally am more intrigued by ideas that make use of a few signs, less attentive to aesthetics but to suggest an obscure semiologic background (Oversteps criptyc circle, Exai and the probable allusion to the "game of life", and so on).

The Incunabula graphics leaves me completely indifferent: it could be the flyer of any generic electronic event in the nineties.

Untilted and Ep7: yeah!

PS:

I also have that problem about block's stupid faces, but only with L-event, not with Exai.

zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg

draft musics = intimate (almost claustrophobic), dark, rather monochrome, focus on the micro

Draft artwork is cheesy. Discuss.

zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg

Agreed. It would fit in a shitty over-decorated fantasy videogame (and i like Rutterford designs generally).

PS:
I also have that problem about block's stupid faces, but only with L-event, not with Exai.

watmm_l-event-real.jpg

by peace 7

I think my facial problems with L-Evant will be unleashed just after unfortunately saw this drawing

zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg

Agreed. It would fit in a shitty over-decorated fantasy videogame (and i like Rutterford designs generally).

I agree: it's seem to be a blatantly digital and redundant graphic, which responds to a generic definition of "abstraction", just because there are curves and irregular lines that intertwine.

I'm very involved in the subsequent albums graphic, permeated in the same mystery of their music.

I like how Amber fits into their discography as an anomaly in so many ways including being the only unaltered real world photo they've used as a cover. It'd be interesting if they went back to that at some point but I doubt they ever will since they honed their own niche. 

Chiastic Slide has been giving me a headache since I found out that's supposed to be the Brooklyn Bridge on the cover in the same way that Envane is Fallingwater. Also, Envane is tops.

i love exai, quaristice and untilted.

i think the tdr stuff is brilliant actually, but i do hope for a radical switch next album art though.

Chiastic Slide has been giving me a headache since I found out that's supposed to be the Brooklyn Bridge on the cover 

for reals?

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/the-designers-republic-remembered/ 

“I was looking at the skyscrapers in New York. When I came back we started playing around with abstracting architectural forms. The natural lines of the skyscrapers, from these photos I’d taken, gave lines of perspective that formed an almost 3D grid. The black shape in the foreground of the cover is one of the towers of the Brooklyn Bridge, as seen from the Empire State Building. The type isn’t a font, it’s all just hand done, making a font that’s just made up from blocks”

Feel free to try and figure the perspective out yourself

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/45-gigapixel-photo-from-empire-state-building/

Chiastic Slide has been giving me a headache since I found out that's supposed to be the Brooklyn Bridge on the cover 

for reals?

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/the-designers-republic-remembered/ 

“I was looking at the skyscrapers in New York. When I came back we started playing around with abstracting architectural forms. The natural lines of the skyscrapers, from these photos I’d taken, gave lines of perspective that formed an almost 3D grid. The black shape in the foreground of the cover is one of the towers of the Brooklyn Bridge, as seen from the Empire State Building. The type isn’t a font, it’s all just hand done, making a font that’s just made up from blocks”

Feel free to try and figure the perspective out yourself

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/45-gigapixel-photo-from-empire-state-building/

fascinating! thanks for sharing

Archived