IGNORED

Dopplereffekt - Cellular Automata

pizza

Never heard of these guys before but I like the preview track. It reminds me of the German electronic duo, Software, who were prevalent in the 80s and 90s.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of these guys before but I like the preview track. It reminds me of the German electronic duo, Software, who were prevalent in the 80s and 90s.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Uh oh, you did it now fumi. You got the cool club police breathing in your neck. Start worshipping at least one Detroit producer to redeem yourself now.

Seriously though, Dopplereffekt is as essential as bread.

But this new track isn't doing much for me to be honest...

Had a listen over youtube and enjoyed what i heard so far, looking forward to a proper listen on vinyl.  I got to support them last year which was a thrill, they were fucking awesome live, the kicks and snares cut through you so unlike anything ive heard before, bit of a shame the album doesnt hava much in the way of club tracks but its still great.  The production is fantastic 

Had a listen over youtube and enjoyed what i heard so far, looking forward to a proper listen on vinyl.  I got to support them last year which was a thrill, they were fucking awesome live, the kicks and snares cut through you so unlike anything ive heard before, bit of a shame the album doesnt hava much in the way of club tracks but its still great.  The production is fantastic 

saw them live too, was a bit boring after a while which is weird because i can listen hours to them, guess its more of a home listening experience to me

Dopplereffekt always seem to have an archive of unreleased dance-floor ready stuff for live, and then release more experimental stuff on the record it adds to the mystique/image of the band, and makes seeing them live all the more exciting.

Im enjoying Cellular Automata as well, its probably their most direct, least alien sounding album so far and that's quite something coming from a concept album about deep space and A.I. robots. We don't get beats but we get some very tasty basslines and leads in the vein of Linear Accelerator, and the choir/vocals on Von Neuman Probe work really well doing that warbly Penderecki thing that appeared on Arpanet's Inerial Frame. Gestalt Intelligence seems to employ the same trick as Tomorrow's Harvest teaming up an insistent arpeggio over a lonesome and slowly ominous pad. The album descends into more crackly, abstract territory as it goes on but continues to feel like the soundtrack to some austere sci-fi dystopia until the final track which is inordinately pretty by Doppleffekt standards. 

Well if you told me last week that i'd enjoy an album with virtually no drums/percussion, i'd have said fuk off

I mean this is downtempo or ambient right? Never found myself actively seeking either, especially in terms of a whole album. Half the time, even a slow-paced "atmospheric" interlude gets a skip from me. But this album yo...each track is like complete immersion. Even the first time through, i was delving into every single audible layer and listening to how it morphs and sings. Kept me engaged from the first to last track

I'm only familiar with Gesamtkunstwerk, which i still heavily fucks with, and that was all about these syncopated 808 rhythms and mutating analog synths and deadpan vocals and earworm melodies. But this shit is emotionally moving. Such humanistic response, yet everything is so cold and barren and alien. I get this contrasting message of intimacy through technology. It almost plays like the data log of a old supercomputer who learned feels and tried its best to document what each one is like

I also really love how each track is some mathematical reference or theory, i mean why did they choose that Pascal's Recursion should sound like this ya know? Adds a little more depth to how i interpret each track. I dont even know what some of these words are but it still just works with their decidedly technical aesthetic. I really love dis album

Also someone said something about the first track sounding sterile like ??? this is Dopplereffekt isn't that their thing? Isn't that what makes their work so irresistible in the first place? 

Idk maybe it's just my PLASTIPHILIA  :cisfor: 

Archived