IGNORED

Dopplereffekt - Cellular Automata

pizza

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gestalt might be my fav. 

Same. It has this *chill the fuck out while you're being dissipated* vibe. Also Ulams Spiral.

Didn't expect it from Dopplereffekt at this stage (Gerald became too conservative lately), though last year's Der Zyklus was very nice for a change.

listening to this..

a lot of the usual suspects during the first hour basically.. drexcya/Doppler aliases etc.

more interesting now, but they also stopped updating the track list.

but lol this has zero bass?

listening to this..

a lot of the usual suspects during the first hour basically.. drexcya/Doppler aliases etc.

more interesting now, but they also stopped updating the track list.

but lol this has zero bass?

Probably just maxed trebles on the mixing desk, you know, old school blasting out on the dancefloor (while the bass is amplified). The selection doesn't clear up much, electro/Detroit classics and stuff affiliated with Gerald (even Moodymann is mates with DJ Stingray), so he digs some Bochum Welt and Ceephax too, or maybe the chick does. 

Well, it's a bit surprising he goes all vintage disco like a regular Detroit pioneer.

aye!

seeing them later tonight. Rn taking a walk & hearing their sound check from other side of the river and sounds lush af, fkn pumped

aye!

seeing them later tonight. Rn taking a walk & hearing their sound check from other side of the river and sounds lush af, fkn pumped

How was it bruv

Edit: were they wearing masks, what was their gear like, did they play earlier work, etc

I think I can answer that even tho I wasn't there:

- yes, masks

- gear: 1 x korg triton le + some other keyboard with midi out, maybe a Streichtfett

- they played the same set they've been playing since ~04

The show was very good, but also had some very unfortunate downers!

Venue was good, large Funktion One system inside a brick-vault structure beneath train tracks, maybe 300 people & packed.

DJ played nice electro/acid things before and after.

Only Dopplereffekt tracks I recognized were a version of Hyperelliptic Surfaces and one track from a recentish release - maybe from Hypnagogia EP. They played several more dancable, faster tracks in the tritons.. one especially had fkn insane bass and it was worth going for that track alone. The gig was alien - imrovised track structures... just weird! But in a good way.

Now the downers... it's complicated. Never saw something quite like it before.

There was a situation which was unfortunately hilarious/sad and frankly a bit outrageous. Dopplereffekt were hidden behind a large curtain before their show - when it was time to start, someone had severe problems untying a fucking knot which held the curtain in place for like ten(!) minutes, during which there was silence and all atmosphere in the room had time to fully deflate.

Then they finally did it, DE started, curtain was tied to the side - but it came back down after a minute. You could see Gerald and his partner were kinda distressed at that point. So someone tied the curtain back... and it came back down again. And then they did it again, and after a minute it came down again!!

Dunno, best to laugh it off, right? But there's these legends on stage and they deserve better than that kind of amateur hour stage setup tbqh. But hey, accidents...

However.... Friend of mine also saw Gerald outside before the show, standing in line and then being body searched by security - Wtf??

And after the show I saw them leaving the place.. they carried their gear and were just sent down the road to the next metro station or whatever.. nobody helping.. the venue person was all like "yea yea just go this way.. kthxbye" like a tragic scene from a Finnish drama film or something.

no way to treat legends.

and the experience was very much tainted by all that, so it's complicated.

yes, masks. Video loop with science stuff. Tritons.

Venue was good, large Funktion One system inside a brick-vault structure beneath train tracks, maybe 300 people & packed.

Only Dopplereffekt tracks I recognized were a version of Hyperelliptic Surfaces and one track from a recentish release - maybe from Hypnagogia EP. They played several more dancable, faster tracks in the tritons.. one especially had fkn insane bass and it was worth going for that track alone. The gig was alien - imrovised track structures... just weird! But in a good way.

There was a situation which was unfortunately hilarious/sad and frankly a bit outrageous. Dopplereffekt were hidden behind a large curtain before their show - when it was time to start, someone had severe problems untying a fucking knot which held the curtain in place for like ten(!) minutes, during which there was silence and all atmosphere in the room had time to fully deflate.

Then they finally did it, DE started, curtain was tied to the side - but it came back down after a minute. You could see Gerald and his partner were kinda distressed at that point. So someone tied the curtain back... and it came back down again. And then they did it again, and after a minute it came down again!!

Dunno, best to laugh it off, right? But there's these legends on stage and they deserve better than that kind of amateur hour stage setup tbqh. But hey, accidents...

However.... Friend of mine also saw Gerald outside before the show, standing in line and then being body searched by security - Wtf??

And after the show I saw them leaving the place.. they carried their gear and were just sent down the road to the next metro station or whatever.. nobody helping.. the venue person was all like "yea yea just go this way.. kthxbye" like a tragic scene from a Finnish drama film or something.

no way to treat legends.

Reminds me of that story of another watmm'er who saw Gerald stand in the rain with his gear waiting for a taxi after a gig...

Also, my mate had to stage-manage Dopplereffekt last year and let's just say apparently Donald is also not really the most easy person to work with. Two sides to every story, but yeah, this curtain thing is ridiculous. 

:blink:

i would have dropped every goddamn thing i was doing and offered my assistance to them. Can you just imagine what that might have mean to them?

That's wild though, to see such a highly-regarded artistic enigma in the harsh context of a reality that, more often than not, sees them as nothing more than tonights act

The glory of techno is all inside of our minds. When Eminem said "pack it up/it's over/nobody listens to techno", everyone obeyed him.

Very true. All average guys like us. But that's part of the appeal right?

If you can find the above album, it's well worth it. Nothing like the 80s new-age noodling they conjured up on 'Digital Dance'.

Bandcamp did a big interview article with them recently because of their infamy for making that 'protovaporwave' album - I had no idea they were so prolific and put out such great stuff. I'll check that album out for sure now.

listened to this yesterday and actually "fuck yes" out loud at work in my office 

need to revisit their old stuff, never got into their discography as much as Drexciya but it's still essential techno, no one really comes close to their trademark sound (some worthy peers though - Cygnus comes to mind)

"sterile" is thrown around so much with their music as a compliment but it's fitting - their less is more approach is brilliantly effective in creating this other worldly vibe

• 2 weeks later...

no way to treat legends.

It is odd to see these human stories of someone I hold as an electronic music god, but some of these guys are truly working musicians. Years ago I posted the story of their sound being cut off DURING performance and the lights being flickered in order to signal the audience that the show was over. They had not gone past the venue's "closing time". Gerald took his mask off and looked to the sound guy running the mixer and yelled for the sound to come back and got no response. He then stormed off the stage to a backstage area or exit with To Nhan shortly following behind. This was June 2012 in San Francisco. Most of the crowd didn't seem to realize he had been cut off. The show was at a club that hosts DJs year round and I have never been back and never will be.

• 1 month later...

Archived