IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - Archived : Environmental : Views (Record Store Day)

purlieu

FSOL's contribution to Record Storey Day 2017 is a triple-LP set called Archived : Environmental : Views

One can guess that the first LP will be tracks from the archives, the second LP will be pieces recorded as part of the Environments series, and third will be 'Viewed from' tracks.

I've been given the tracklist for the third so far:

A1. Viewed from Pushkinova 7

A2. A Place in the Wilderness
A3. Viewed from Below the Surface (2017 Version)
A4. Viewed from Little Boats
A5. Late October
A6. The Oldest Lady
B1. Viewed Through Apertures
B2. Viewed from an Obscure Angle
B3. Viewed from Fer Hills
B4. Viewed from Across the Room
B5. Viewed from Rosey's Perspective
B6. Viewed from Under Leaves
B7. Source of Uncertainty (Original Long Mix)
B8. The House in the Woods
B9. Viewed from Above

(The 'Rosey' in B5 is named after my dog, which is pretty exciting).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, a fair few exclusives there too. Hopefully it won't be too expensive, limited or hard to get hold of.

So how do Brian and or Gary know your dog?

I ran a FSOL site for quite a few years (just down to a news page at the moment), through doing that I got speaking to them, been friends with Brian for some time now. I suggested it as a joke but it manifested itself as an actual track, which is always nice!

Read the leaked RSD 2017 so far list, and almost no electronic releases to speak of, so a triple LP from my favorite duo is a double win. Or is it a triple win?

It's because many indie electronic artists/labels are sick of the shit we have to deal with around RSD, specifically how manufacturing turns into a complete joke around this time and peoples buying habits now revolve around this specific day. I know from speaking to others that we're just tired of it and many have given up on it completely, choosing not to release anything at all. Electronic artists/labels pretty much kept vinyl afloat during the 80s/90s, but now we're now put on the back-burner cos pressing plants prefer pressing thousands of copies of """limited""" re-releases of popular rock albums you've already heard and bought loads of times before, totally clogging up production lines for a quarter of a year++

RSD is another prime example of a good idea that has been commercialized and butchered to the point where it's now an overwhelming negative rather than a positive for music.

Some news and full tracklist has surfaced. Preorder on Deejay.de

This Triple album brings together the two main strands of FSOL's current output, namely the From the Archives" series and the "Environments' albums. Comprising a total 48 tracks, 35 of them are new or previously unreleased.

Vinyl 1 is the Archives album which pulls 8 previously released tracks from the series but in some cases new mixes of these tracks have been created specially for this release. The other 9 tracks are unreleased Archive tracks from the vast vaults of FSOL. The "From the Archives' series is no exercise in barrel scraping, FSOL are well known for their prodigious output regularly going through periods of creating several tracks a day. Many of these tracks would be 'lost' only for not fitting current projects, created only for special live events and broadcasts or would change so drastically during the recording process that the original version would bear little resemblance to the released track. From the Archives seeks to give light to these tracks that are as good as anything released on their 'official' albums.

Vinyl 2 is the Environments album 16 Brand new tracks which continues the journey along the ambient environmental path. As the title suggests, each Environments album is a journey through a specific mood, place or environment.

Vinyl 3 brings together much of the piano work FSOL have done over the years and also includes 2 new cover versions of tracks by Brian Eno and his brother Roger Eno. The piano is mainly played by Grammy Nominated / Ivor Novello Winner DANIEL PEMBERTON - well known for his film score work - (Gold, Steve Jobs, King Arthur). Views contains 10 previously unreleased tracks - 15 tracks in total

Full Tracklist

Outer Heaven (2017 Version)              
Mouth Muse                                          
Culture Of Individuality                           
Fault Line                                              
5 Months 5 Acres                                  
Light Forming ( 2017 Edit )                  
Meanwhile                                            
Mango Tree                                          
Where You Going                                    
Lizard Crawl                
Woodland                    
This Day Before Me      
Gas Mask 13                
Numbers And Colours  
Contraband                  
Loudoun Hill                  
She Fell Backwards
Persistence Of Vision                                        
Normality Returns                                            
Hapn                                                                
Semi Detached
Unforth                                                             
Its Very Existence
Fallin
Through
Sea Pig                                              
Opposite Of Thought                                         
Looking Out A Narrow Window                        
Drifting In And Out                                            
Silence In Her Eyes                                          
Boulton                                                              
Intermodulation Distortion
Everyone Who Is Not Here                                
In A Way, They Do..  
Viewed From Pushkinova 7                              
A The Wilderness                                
Viewed From Below The Surface (2017 Version)
Viewed From Little Boats                                        
Late October                                                            
The Oldest Lady                                                      
Viewed Through Apertures                                
Viewed From An Obscure Angle                        
Viewed From Far Hills                                      
Viewed From Across The Room                        
Viewed From Rosey's Perspective                    
Viewed From Under Leaves                              
Source Of Uncertainty (Original Long Mix )      
The House In The Woods                                  
Viewed From Above

FSOLDigital had about 20 of the Cartel double album a couple of years ago, and a similar number of the Accelerator reissue last year. They normally go online around a week after RSD. No word of a digital version yet, but the Cartel Remixes package had a digital release a few weeks after its RSD release so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet! New music from the FSOL is always good news. Since there are some gurus in the thread, I gotta ask:

Whatever happened to that new HUMANOID album release? Is it still on? Post Human was great, a modern acid classic imo.

What about that mental 2" Tape Reels mix of "We Have Explosive"? Will it ever see the light of day? I only got it as a poor quality myspace rip.

Read the leaked RSD 2017 so far list, and almost no electronic releases to speak of, so a triple LP from my favorite duo is a double win. Or is it a triple win?

It's because many indie electronic artists/labels are sick of the shit we have to deal with around RSD, specifically how manufacturing turns into a complete joke around this time and peoples buying habits now revolve around this specific day. I know from speaking to others that we're just tired of it and many have given up on it completely, choosing not to release anything at all. Electronic artists/labels pretty much kept vinyl afloat during the 80s/90s, but now we're now put on the back-burner cos pressing plants prefer pressing thousands of copies of """limited""" re-releases of popular rock albums you've already heard and bought loads of times before, totally clogging up production lines for a quarter of a year++

RSD is another prime example of a good idea that has been commercialized and butchered to the point where it's now an overwhelming negative rather than a positive for music.

Kinda agree. Most of the RSD releases I see are incredibly overpriced pressings of badly recorded live tracks or covers. Saw a Deftones RSD release that was a 12" of years old live recordings that sound garbage. For £25? A steal! A steal from my wallet, I mean.

That said, those V. Snare represses were great.

Sweet! New music from the FSOL is always good news. Since there are some gurus in the thread, I gotta ask:

Whatever happened to that new HUMANOID album release? Is it still on? Post Human was great, a modern acid classic imo.

What about that mental 2" Tape Reels mix of "We Have Explosive"? Will it ever see the light of day? I only got it as a poor quality myspace rip.

Humanoid is still in the works, last thing I heard Brian had recorded about 100 tracks for it and was whittling them down into a proper album form. I'd generally guess this year, but with this new FSOL one, and the new Amorphous album, they might put it off for promo purposes. Not that they ever do much promo.

2" Tape Reels is "still coming". I've been bugging Brian about it for ages. Fuck knows.

Just received this from deejay.de

Have listened so far to the Archived and Environmental lps.

Absolutely some of the most beautiful stuff they have ever released. The new versions of old tracks (Outer Heaven, Lizzard Crawl,etc) sound amazing in this new context. Also, a beautifully designed package.

Think I just had an out of body experience laying on my couch...

Just received this from deejay.de

Have listened so far to the Archived and Environmental lps.

Absolutely some of the most beautiful stuff they have ever released. The new versions of old tracks (Outer Heaven, Lizzard Crawl,etc) sound amazing in this new context. Also, a beautifully designed package.

Think I just had an out of body experience laying on my couch...

Just received this all the way in India from them as well. I'm glad to hear the positive reviews and looking forward to giving this is spin soon :)

Just found out about this through their FB page, but I can't find any local places that have it on the pre-order list, so I'll have to hope there's a few copies left over for their website after RSD.

Archived