IGNORED

Luke Vibert Presents UK Garave vol. 1

Yeah it's not out for a few weeks now, May 5th innit? Few of you got it REALLY early.  :cool:

Glad to hear it's deece, looking forward to it. Samples sounded like some tracks are bangers, nice played loud?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's not out for a few weeks now, May 5th innit? Few of you got it REALLY early.  :cool:

Glad to hear it's deece, looking forward to it. Samples sounded like some tracks are bangers, nice played loud?

Yes. Day off today, so blasting this right now. Tons of fun!  :music:

I enjoyed it but I hope he retires some of those samples now ("Can you feel it?") Sounds more like a Luke Warm release than an official Luke Vibert release.

I also think it'd be pretty cool if he produced a hip-hop album with one or more rappers next. 

I enjoyed it but I hope he retires some of those samples now ("Can you feel it?") Sounds more like a Luke Warm release than an official Luke Vibert release.

I also think it'd be pretty cool if he produced a hip-hop album with one or more rappers next. 

You might already be aware of it, but he did that in 2004 and the result is pretty good:

https://blurum13.bandcamp.com/album/smell-the-urgency-2

Also on these:

https://www.discogs.com/Alpha-Prhyme-Misanthropic/release/20911

https://www.discogs.com/Asylum-Gemini-Twins/release/32570

But yeah, according to that RA interview his hip hop / Wagon Christ tracks are the hardest to get 'rid of' which still quite baffles me to be honest...

You might already be aware of it, but he did that in 2004 and the result is pretty good:

Also on these:

But yeah, according to that RA interview his hip hop / Wagon Christ tracks are the hardest to get 'rid of' which still quite baffles me to be honest...

No, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks!

Also on these:

No, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks!

And ehm, this track also happened.

listening to this now... yeah unfortunately in a trend thats been going on since at least Rhythm/We Hear You etc, I find this release to be pretty lazy and just reusing the same set of samples that I've heard over and over again. I guess he needs to pay the bills or something.

listening to this now... yeah unfortunately in a trend thats been going on since at least Rhythm/We Hear You etc, I find this release to be pretty lazy and just reusing the same set of samples that I've heard over and over again. I guess he needs to pay the bills or something.

That's what his gigs are for, can't imagine making enough from this. His albums are just him having fun, doing whatever the fuck he wants. Can't argue with that.

Been really enjoying this album lately. It's already going for semi-mad prices on Discogs, and it's really sold out at the label now?

This is why you like it.

What?

That's what his gigs are for, can't imagine making enough from this. His albums are just him having fun, doing whatever the fuck he wants. Can't argue with that.

what makes this stand apart is how self-aware and tongue-in-cheek his use of samples is (he does thisa all the time: remember his track "I can phil it" which flipped a Phil Collins sample into a funky dance track) this is a really well-produced homage to rave. I know it's been a well-traveled concept (Glowstyx's class of 1992 and Zomby's where were u in 92', plethora or Lone and Scuba's stuff, Elite Gymnastics, and it's been creeping into a fair amount of indie electronica stuff, etc.) but Luke Vibert seems to be unabashed and relentless in his approach - like the track "Pump" which compiles a bunch of rave vocal stabs wit that phrase. It's a rave trainspotting orgy of samples and production methods... I dunno, sure nothing super groundbreaking or novel but it's a lot of fun and I would argue his approach is more sincere and honest than many peers. He's not aping an aesthetic but making a tribute to it.

Been really enjoying this album lately. It's already going for semi-mad prices on Discogs, and it's really sold out at the label now?

This is why you like it.
What?

Beenenjoyingitbythewayithasquicklyappreciatedinvalueandimbreathlessicantseparateenjoymentfromappreciation.

This is why you like it.
What?

Beenenjoyingitbythewayithasquicklyappreciatedinvalueandimbreathlessicantseparateenjoymentfromappreciation.

What?

This is why you like it.
What?

What?

gluesniffing.jpg

Vibert is one of my all time favorites but I'm afraid I have to agree. This felt like a chore to get through, a lot of it sounds like Kerrier District remixes. He's too talented for this, I love his crazy samples but I've heard all of these ad naseum at this point.

Yeah, I mean I'm a huge fan of tally ho!/musipal/throbbing pouch , pretty much all the plug stuff but this one isnt cutting it for me really. :(

Listening through for the 2nd time, some of the tracks are hitting the spot, but overall its a mixed bag, which is typical of Vibert, when he's good he's great, but it isn't always good. Reading his interviews I know he creates loads of tracks and only selects a small fraction for release, I think I should choose his tracks for release, or a WATMM committee, I am sure he has enough top notch stuff for all his releases to be top quality releases, he is just too hit and miss for me overall, just like Squarepusher. 

Some of his recent compilation tracks have been fantastic, I wish it was all so good.

While I agree with the 'not IDM enough', 'lazy' and 'waste of talent' comments, I genuinely enjoy this release. Not a fan of house music per se but his albums always do the trick. Love how cliché and kitsch it sounds.

Herr Jan you like this release because it sold out as opposed to what it sounds like. You said as much.

No he didn't.

He said "Been really enjoying this album lately."

And then he said "It's already going for semi-mad prices on Discogs, and it's really sold out at the label now?"

You know, like two, separate, unrelated statements.

He didn't say "I like this release because it's sold out and going for semi-mad prices on discogs".

Archived