IGNORED

Actress - AZD

• 2 weeks later...

cheers Kavinsky, lots of stuff I'd never heard before.

According to the Wire review of AZD, its more technoey and punishing which sounds nice. And 'Uber Spliff To Gatwick' is on the album under the title 'Runner'

Actress has some good tracks but fucking hell he is well overrated around these parts. My introduction to him was RIP when it came out and I absolutely hated it, I remember feeling like I wanted my money back even though I downloaded it illegally.

Since then I checked out Splaszh and I think it's mostly really good with a couple of great moments. So, thinking my tastes had matured somewhat I decided it was time to go back and revisit my copy of RIP that I owned, as things often require reappraisal after a few years. It only took me the first three tracks for it to hit me... still shit.

cheers Kavinsky, lots of stuff I'd never heard before.

According to the Wire review of AZD, its more technoey and punishing which sounds nice. And 'Uber Spliff To Gatwick' is on the album under the title 'Runner'

youre welcome :) 

He is my fav. electronic musician, so I´m always happy to find new stuff also i hope this is going to be on AZD. 

starting at 2min

Actress has some good tracks but fucking hell he is well overrated around these parts. My introduction to him was RIP when it came out and I absolutely hated it, I remember feeling like I wanted my money back even though I downloaded it illegally.

Since then I checked out Splaszh and I think it's mostly really good with a couple of great moments. So, thinking my tastes had matured somewhat I decided it was time to go back and revisit my copy of RIP that I owned, as things often require reappraisal after a few years. It only took me the first three tracks for it to hit me... still shit.

that's a shame, i also revisited RIP and i think it's a small masterpiece, i never heard anything with electronic sound that made me feel like i'm tripping in a forrest, you got birds, crickets, water splashing on rocks, wind blowing trough branches, leafs falling down, the sun sparkling on water and stuff growing. the brilliant use of flutes and harps. i think it's his best

about the first single, it doesn't do shit for me yet but i'm sure it's gonna be a great new album, gonna buy it for sure

Edited by Ivan Ooze

i also revisited RIP and i think it's a small masterpiece, i never heard anything with electronic sound that made me feel like i'm tripping in a forrest, you got birds, crickets, water splashing on rocks, wind blowing trough branches, leafs falling down, the sun sparkling on water and stuff growing. the brilliant use of flutes and harps. i think it's his best

Yep. Well I wouldn't say -anything-, SAW2 did this for me too, although in a much different way. I appreciate music like this that gives your mind space to breathe.

Uriel's Black Harp in particular is so good. Within the first few seconds seconds I'm sitting in some reeds on the edge of a stream with the morning sun glimmering in the reflection, insects buzzing all around me, far from social media, motor vehicles, or any kind of economic exchange. But it doesn't feel like escape, it feels like nourishment.

I don't know how people scoff at this stuff, I guess they just aren't hearing what I'm hearing, or that kind of experience is just not interesting to them. Maybe it's, like, an introvert thing?

that's a shame, i also revisited RIP and i think it's a small masterpiece, i never heard anything with electronic sound that made me feel like i'm tripping in a forrest, you got birds, crickets, water splashing on rocks, wind blowing trough branches, leafs falling down, the sun sparkling on water and stuff growing. the brilliant use of flutes and harps. i think it's his best

The subjectivity of music right there. See what you describe is what I like, but I don't get any of that from his stuff. His stuff feels like a small idea stretched out for too many minutes.

^ ye very subjectif, myself i'v never been able to get into saw2 for example, maybe someday i will, maybe i won't

maybe you'll get into rip someday, maybe you won't

but trust me on the sunscreen

you dont have to get into everything if you dont like it.

This, yeah. I've tried with Actress and Burial (kinda similar, no?) and nothing really stuck.

I'll shelve them as artists for now instead of trying to force it. Usually when I do this I'll come back to them some years later and it will all click.

I remember a time when I didn't like autechre (lol)

dazed interview to promote the new album is a bit funny 

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/35125/1/actress-azd-intervie

Funny to see him getting a bit of heat online from people who dont buy into the art side/concepts of his work.  Its always a little refreshing to hear an artist who's main influences might fall outside of music but can understand how it rubs people the wrong way.  After deeply falling for his first album years ago ill have time and open mind for anything he does or his label releases.

Hate to bet the guy but keen to see what he's used in the studio for this new music..  Maybe something like supercollider? Anyone got any ideas besides the classic elektron gear and whatnot, enjoying these new bits.

'I’ve kind of gone backwards in terms of making music. All the big dons that were making music in the early 90s and late 80s – how they were making music on some of that equipment and software, it’s like, how did they even..?! So I’ve tracked back because I want to find out how that was done. My musical environment is actually quite primitive – I use software that’s like the early version of Max/MSP, the beta version, which is just strange. But I figured out how to use it and it’s given me a different dimension because of that.'

Guest bitroast

i wouldnt even be able to tell you the number of times ive listened to RIP since it came out ... loooooooove + loooooooved that album. 

i wouldnt even be able to tell you the number of times ive listened to RIP since it came out ... loooooooove + loooooooved that album. 

Yeah the his first 3 albums were on point. Each one has such a distinct, vivid and coherent personality... love them all. And big up to Hazyville, which doesn't seem to get enough love, and like wtf that disc is straight science

Stuff since has been okay; ghettoville, levantis, the dj kicks installment are all decent listens but nothing special.  A lot of his giveaway tracks can be piss-takey but sleep and you'll miss gemz like dis: