IGNORED

Actress - AZD

Lol, wasn't going there but on a certain level it probably exists amongst some lesser evolved primates, even in teh IDMx. Thumbs up as to rest of post, though right now I'm probably digging AZD more (than you, not R.I.P) despite some of it's eccentricities. I remember reading some early presser BS about the album being influenced by 80s NY graffiti artist & MC Rammelzee, only to finally hear it and there be a track sampling Rammelzee talking about Rammelzee. It does evolve into a pretty badass track though and one of my faves on this.

Sadly I think you're right, although the idea of an electronic musician being somehow less credible because he's Black makes about as much sense as a chef being less credible because she's French or a swimmer being less credible because it's literally a fish.

Planning on giving AZD some proper listens over the next few days, maybe I'll come around.

Lol agin, didn't mean to bring TJ into the fray but he was first to come to mind. I'm also able to look past his musings & ego because he has made some brill stuff over the years (like HND, Go Plastic, Venus 17), but also some total wank, esp. the more recent stuff.

And of course TJ has done some incredible, genre-defining stuff. I dusted off Go Plastic after that thread got resurrected and was blown away at how fresh it still sounds. His ranting doesn't subtract from his brilliance at all even if it annoys me a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

If people perceive Actress as pretentious, then by liking his music you too may be perceived as pretentious.

Lol what is this post? "Must keep up with Joneses and maintain an air of imminent unpretentiousness, approachability and likeability. Todo: #1.) Stop listening to Actress"

pretentious people can still make good things!

Oh, most definitely!

Just not actress. Or burial. or OPN.

=)

Syyyyyyyyyyk byrn, Phtevie!

lol sorry

fire1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1200

If people perceive Actress as pretentious, then by liking his music you too may be perceived as pretentious.

Lol what is this post? "Must keep up with Joneses and maintain an air of imminent unpretentiousness, approachability and likeability. Todo: #1.) Stop listening to Actress"

Right except not such a conscious decision. My comment was mainly a response to Amen Lare's posts above. 

It's like with the Giegling dude's sexist comments from a while back. I bet many people who liked his music and/or DJing before will now be reluctant to publicly say that they like it. 

Right except not such a conscious decision. My comment was mainly a response to Amen Lare's posts above.

It's like with the Giegling dude's sexist comments from a while back. I bet many people who liked his music and/or DJing before will now be reluctant to publicly say that they like it.

Oh ok. Yeah maybe. Disappointing if true.

• 3 months later...

this is one of the albums that has had a lasting effect on me this year. probably #1 electronic AOTY for me

i've recently came to appreciate Ghettoville more as well

plz fuck off, Lopez

this is one of the albums that has had a lasting effect on me this year. probably #1 electronic AOTY for me

i've recently came to appreciate Ghettoville more as well

plz fuck off, Lopez

All truth. Any word on the next LP with the orchestra? 

Agreed. Awaiting the full LP of him with the Philharmonic Orchestra.

Ghettoville is criminally underrated in my view I actually prefer it to AZD.

I think with Actress a lot of people feel it is unfinished or meandering but for me personally it's about creating a sound world to escape into rather than music in the traditional sense.