IGNORED

GAS - Narkopop

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've played this more than either Konigsforst and Zauberberg already.. it's very easy to relax to, where those two albums are somewhat less ambient (more action) and more commanding/engaging. it's lovely. is Narkopoop 11 different material, or is it an alternate mix  of the album tracks?

I think I've played this more than either Konigsforst and Zauberberg already.. it's very easy to relax to, where those two albums are somewhat less ambient (more action) and more commanding/engaging. it's lovely. is Narkopoop 11 different material, or is it an alternate mix  of the album tracks?

It's a unique, 16 minute track. It's not quite as murky as the other tracks on Narkopop, so I can understand why it was relegated to vinyl-exclusive status.

there has always been a hole in Fantongles' understanding of the music he listens to with distant, academic attention but isn't actually a fan of.

Fantano's reviews are spot on.

I don't often like what he has to say about something I've listened to but after a few weeks, I look back and often find he was right.

Those who don't like him are usually people who cannot accept or listen to any criticism whatsoever.

not really though? he's just a random guy who likes the /mu canon of meme records and that makes up a lot of his fanbase. i mean, more power to him for organically developing his business model but he offers nothing insightful about the music he reviews, it's literally just a rundown of an artist bio that you can find on allmusic and then fantano's relatively inconsistent opinion which is never grounded in underlying politics or philosophy. 

I appreciate the existence of Fantono more than I appreciate his actual reviews. Fuck /mu but he's not on the same level as those twats as much as he's admired by them. He's still an independent voice IMO against the complacent PR shitshow of Pitchfork and it's imitators. Tiny Mixtapes fills this niche too. They both still have the balls to be contrarian and call albums every one else is lazily giving a thumbs up to overrated or shit. His review format and style is consistent which makes it easier for me to know when he's making a good point versus just winging it. 

In other words, a 2/10 review of Gas by needledrop is irrelevant to me because it's not an album where his perspective means anything. 

He (Fantano) did a good job of Ae's Exai, I thought he delivered a very respectful account of them as musicians and for a novice, an insight into what makes them tick.

Some days I don't mind him, some days he gets my goat....

pitchfork is owned by conde nast so are a complete write-off - independent sheep in wolves clothing. tiny mixtapes actually manages to be even more insufferable than pitchfork somehow. fantano is just annoying. music "journalism" is uniformly terrible. music isn't good anymore. yes i am ready to die

motherfucking malaysian post fucking sucks. Pre-ordered it in march, and i've been attempting to call any kind of post office in malaysia to  ask where it is. Never got ahold of anyone till now, and they are saying that it is at the airport,  and that I need to call the airport and ask them to hold the item, because they are attempting to send it back to germany. Goddamn it I just want narkopop.

Fuckers.

• 2 weeks later...

They had shipped it back to germany due to some snafu, but i finally have my hands on it. narkopop 11 is lusher than most of the album. I dig it hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I preordered the deluxe edition and didn't check it out until recently. This is such a weird listening experience which I am really enjoying. I love how the melodies blur into each other between tracks and I'll get something from it stuck in my head but it actually pops up on 2 or 3 tracks so I'm not sure which variation got stuck in my head, or if it was a combination of them and I'm hearing like "phantom" melodies, like double exposed photos or something.

Also love the grainy, detuned old-sampler quality of the strings - it seems like he examined what made sampled music sound interesting and exciting in the 90s and carefully engineered the strings to have all those qualities without being kitschy or nostalgic.

The overall mood is dark and relaxing at the same time, can't think of anything quite like it except to some degree Seefeel's CH-Vox (which was a lot more somber) or maybe Philip Jeck (which doesn't really have the weird trance-like quality of this). It's like... ecstatically apocalyptic.

I looked at pitchfork today and one headline was "daddy yankee thought that thom yorke cover of gasolina was real". What is happening?

I'm going to quote a oft posted comment on smash mouth remix videos on youtube that seems apt to this post:

"this is why god doesn't talk to us anymore"

• 1 month later...

Just getting around to this. But God this album is amazing. Love the production, the size and scope of the sound-stage, and the overall dark-but-ambivalent feel of the whole thing. The string sounds are dead and center right up my alley. Musically, it sometimes sounds like two chords that have nothing really to do with each other are being played simultaneously -- but they still click somehow. And everything is HUGE in the best kind of way. Like you're an ant on the forest floor, making your way. One of my favorites this year for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Wolfgang Voigt is an electronic music producer based in Cologne, best known for co-founding the German techno label Kompakt and pioneering the Minimal Techno scene in Germany. He has released a seemingly endless amount of records under numerous monikers — among them GAS, Mike Ink and Love Inc. — on a plethora of record labels, including Kompakt, Warp, Harvest, Raster-Noton, Force Inc and Astral Industries. In 2017 he not only re-released an impressive vinyl box featuring his classic GAS releases, but also, after a 17 year break, his newest GAS recording “Narkopop.” In his STRRR episode we encounter another side of Wolfgang Voigt, introducing us to the French cinema of the 70s, twelve-tone music of Arnold Schönberg and to contemporary hip hop.

strrr.tv/episodes/1/4

Couple more on-demand episodes w/ other such luminaries as Emil Schult, Norman Fairbanks, Hell, Mark Reeder, H.P. Baxxter available on there as well.

I looked at pitchfork today and one headline was "daddy yankee thought that thom yorke cover of gasolina was real". What is happening?

I'm going to quote a oft posted comment on smash mouth remix videos on youtube that seems apt to this post:

"this is why god doesn't talk to us anymore"

there was a recent headline on p4k that read "arcade fire's win butler is cool with father john misty's taylor swift line (but not kanye's)" and then opened with "arcade fire frontman win butler has spoken on father john misty's total entertainment forever lyric about taylor swift, as nme points out." like this was something we were all waiting on. blew my mind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived